Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap

Julian

Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
Vista HP... I really don't understand this Split Token stuff, all I know is
that mapped drive "status" seems to bear no relation to actual status...

Specifics: I have a number of mapped shares on a NAS device (Thecus N5200),
which I set up by "Map Network Drive"... and I then created "links"
(?shortcuts?) to the mapped drives as displayed in Computer and placed them
on the desktop... [I am in the Administrator a/c, which I use all the time,
with UAC on]

Problems:

a) In "Computer" the red X/green tick status is sometimes right - but not
often
b) The shortcuts either have red X/green ticks but the choice seems to be a
largely whimsical decision by Vista

Steve Schwab said (in another thread "Red X on network shares")

>it is a problem with the "split token" Vista uses for an administrator
>account.
>What you need to do is create a logon script and use the "net use" command
>to map your drives. These are created using the "real" administrator
>priviledges

Well I tried the alternative (HP doesn't support logon scripts), which was
to set up a batch file and run it as Administrator... (as a preliminary to
using the Task Scheduler to run it as Admin at logon time) but it didn't
seem to make much difference, then I realised I should probably unmap the
existing mappings first - hence the Q: how is that done via the UI? I can't
find anyway to UNmap...

Secondly, I did unmap the drives by net use /delete (in Cmd Run As
Administrator), but when I remapped (again using net use) I didn't see any
difference in the problems described above.

Any ideas? It's just an aggravation as I can actually access the contents if
the shares are actually there, but I've got a stinking cold, a pain in all
the diodes (or at least one) down my left arm and I'm cranky and want
it/*something* fixed today <g>

TIA, Julian

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
Microsoft has a hotfix that may fix this is issue. This post may help.
Please post back with the result.

Vista: mapping drive with a red XSymptom: You may see a red "X" appears in
the icon for a mapped network drive in Folders area of Windows Explorer.
This problem may occur if the following ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2208

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Julian" <msforums@tiger2.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Vista HP... I really don't understand this Split Token stuff, all I know
> is that mapped drive "status" seems to bear no relation to actual
> status...
>
> Specifics: I have a number of mapped shares on a NAS device (Thecus
> N5200), which I set up by "Map Network Drive"... and I then created
> "links" (?shortcuts?) to the mapped drives as displayed in Computer and
> placed them on the desktop... [I am in the Administrator a/c, which I use
> all the time, with UAC on]
>
> Problems:
>
> a) In "Computer" the red X/green tick status is sometimes right - but not
> often
> b) The shortcuts either have red X/green ticks but the choice seems to be
> a largely whimsical decision by Vista
>
> Steve Schwab said (in another thread "Red X on network shares")
>
>>it is a problem with the "split token" Vista uses for an administrator
>>account.
>>What you need to do is create a logon script and use the "net use" command
>>to map your drives. These are created using the "real" administrator
>>priviledges

> Well I tried the alternative (HP doesn't support logon scripts), which was
> to set up a batch file and run it as Administrator... (as a preliminary to
> using the Task Scheduler to run it as Admin at logon time) but it didn't
> seem to make much difference, then I realised I should probably unmap the
> existing mappings first - hence the Q: how is that done via the UI? I
> can't find anyway to UNmap...
>
> Secondly, I did unmap the drives by net use /delete (in Cmd Run As
> Administrator), but when I remapped (again using net use) I didn't see any
> difference in the problems described above.
>
> Any ideas? It's just an aggravation as I can actually access the contents
> if the shares are actually there, but I've got a stinking cold, a pain in
> all the diodes (or at least one) down my left arm and I'm cranky and want
> it/*something* fixed today <g>
>
> TIA, Julian
>
> --
> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>
> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Julian

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
Request for the Hotfix has been submitted - will get back when I have
received a link, downloaded and installed...

Thanks...

--

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Microsoft has a hotfix that may fix this is issue. This post may help.
> Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista: mapping drive with a red XSymptom: You may see a red "X" appears in
> the icon for a mapped network drive in Folders area of Windows Explorer.
> This problem may occur if the following ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2208
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Julian" <msforums@tiger2.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Vista HP... I really don't understand this Split Token stuff, all I know
>> is that mapped drive "status" seems to bear no relation to actual
>> status...
>>
>> Specifics: I have a number of mapped shares on a NAS device (Thecus
>> N5200), which I set up by "Map Network Drive"... and I then created
>> "links" (?shortcuts?) to the mapped drives as displayed in Computer and
>> placed them on the desktop... [I am in the Administrator a/c, which I use
>> all the time, with UAC on]
>>
>> Problems:
>>
>> a) In "Computer" the red X/green tick status is sometimes right - but not
>> often
>> b) The shortcuts either have red X/green ticks but the choice seems to be
>> a largely whimsical decision by Vista
>>
>> Steve Schwab said (in another thread "Red X on network shares")
>>
>>>it is a problem with the "split token" Vista uses for an administrator
>>>account.
>>>What you need to do is create a logon script and use the "net use"
>>>command
>>>to map your drives. These are created using the "real" administrator
>>>priviledges

>> Well I tried the alternative (HP doesn't support logon scripts), which
>> was to set up a batch file and run it as Administrator... (as a
>> preliminary to using the Task Scheduler to run it as Admin at logon time)
>> but it didn't seem to make much difference, then I realised I should
>> probably unmap the existing mappings first - hence the Q: how is that
>> done via the UI? I can't find anyway to UNmap...
>>
>> Secondly, I did unmap the drives by net use /delete (in Cmd Run As
>> Administrator), but when I remapped (again using net use) I didn't see
>> any difference in the problems described above.
>>
>> Any ideas? It's just an aggravation as I can actually access the contents
>> if the shares are actually there, but I've got a stinking cold, a pain in
>> all the diodes (or at least one) down my left arm and I'm cranky and want
>> it/*something* fixed today <g>
>>
>> TIA, Julian
>>
>> --
>> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>>
>> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Julian

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
OK - the request was submitted and a link (with password) received by email
less than 4 hours later; downloaded and installed OK; system restarted.

(All icons referred to are mapped shares on the same network storage device;
Windows Explorer view of Computer set to Tiles)

1. On system restart Computer and Desktop icons showed Green/ticked for
connected network shares (right)

Laptop goes to sleep; NAS device turned off, laptop woken

2. Desktop shortcuts still Green/Ticked (wrong), Computer icons show Red/X
(right)

NAS started

3. Computer shows all Red X's.... wait for green progress bar to complete...
no change
4. Computer "refreshed"(F5) several times (a couple of seconds betwen each),
each time one more share turned green

Delay could have been due to the network connection to the NAS being
initialised, so I shutdown the NAS to watch it again more closely....

NAS OFF

5. Computer icons still Green/Ticked - refreshed and they all turned red
immediately; desktop shortcuts still Green/Ticked - refresh dsktop - no
change.
6. Double click a desktop shortcut... and when I look at Computer again all
the icons are Green/Ticked... refresh and they all turn back to Red

NAS Started... network to NAS initialised

7 Without manual refresh, Computer Icons acquire space used/free indicators
accurately reflecting status.... but remain Red/X (wrong)
8 Manual refresh of Computer and icons turn green (right)

So, not exactly a "fix" in my book... some improvement maybe (hard to tell)
but (7) is just daft...

Julian

--
> [...]

>> probably unmap the existing mappings first - hence the Q: how is that
>> done via the UI? I can't find anyway to UNmap...
>>
>> Secondly, I did unmap the drives by net use /delete (in Cmd Run As
>> Administrator), but when I remapped (again using net use) I didn't see
>> any difference in the problems described above.
>>
>> Any ideas? It's just an aggravation as I can actually access the contents
>> if the shares are actually there, but I've got a stinking cold, a pain in
>> all the diodes (or at least one) down my left arm and I'm cranky and want
>> it/*something* fixed today <g>
>>
>> TIA, Julian
>>
>> --
>> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>>
>> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
For a test, try to disable the UAC. Please post back with the result.

--

> [...]
>>> should probably unmap the existing mappings first - hence the Q: how is
>>> that done via the UI? I can't find anyway to UNmap...
>>>
>>> Secondly, I did unmap the drives by net use /delete (in Cmd Run As
>>> Administrator), but when I remapped (again using net use) I didn't see
>>> any difference in the problems described above.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? It's just an aggravation as I can actually access the
>>> contents if the shares are actually there, but I've got a stinking cold,
>>> a pain in all the diodes (or at least one) down my left arm and I'm
>>> cranky and want it/*something* fixed today <g>
>>>
>>> TIA, Julian
>>>
>>> --
>>> Julian I-Do-Stuff
>>>
>>> Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Julian

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
Thanks Robert, a timely suggestion... I was just about to uninstall the
hotfix...will try that and get back...

--

> [...]
>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft has a hotfix that may fix this is issue. This post may help.
>>> Please post back with the result.
>>>
>>> Vista: mapping drive with a red XSymptom: You may see a red "X" appears
>>> in the icon for a mapped network drive in Folders area of Windows
>>> Explorer. This problem may occur if the following ...
>>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?p=2208
>>>

>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Julian

Re: Split Tokens? - Network Shares - red X's, map/unmap
Been there, done that (ie try it with UAC off), no obvious difference was
apparent...

Vista happily says how much of the drive is free but the Red/X remains until
one has "opened" the drive to view the contents wit Windows Explorer...
thereafter it is Green/Tick in Computer but the shortcuts remain Red/X
despite deskotp refreshes.

One small observation though... in recreating my drive mappings I used the
"as another use" feature to connect to my Freecom Storage Gateway, and
having provided username and pwd Vista connects to it well *AND* the icons
in Computer are always correct... (though of course shortcuts remain Red/X,
i.e. out of sync)

A three-pipe problem I think...