How to turn Discovery and Sharing OFF?

Victek

How to turn Discovery and Sharing OFF?
Friends,

I'm running Vista Business (32 bit). In the Network and Sharing Center the
network is listed as Private and both Discovery and Sharing are On. I would
like to turn them OFF however the buttons are grayed out. Does this require
elevated privileges? If so, how do you start the GUI with the Run As
Administrator option?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to turn Discovery and Sharing OFF?
Do you have Norton or other security software running? That could be the
problem. This post may help.

Vista Network Discovery is grayed out
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=4129#4129

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Victek" <victek@xyz.com> wrote in message
> Friends,
>
> I'm running Vista Business (32 bit). In the Network and Sharing Center
> the network is listed as Private and both Discovery and Sharing are On. I
> would like to turn them OFF however the buttons are grayed out. Does this
> require elevated privileges? If so, how do you start the GUI with the Run
> As Administrator option?

Victek

Re: How to turn Discovery and Sharing OFF?
>> I'm running Vista Business (32 bit). In the Network and Sharing Center
>> the network is listed as Private and both Discovery and Sharing are On.
>> I would like to turn them OFF however the buttons are grayed out. Does
>> this require elevated privileges? If so, how do you start the GUI with
>> the Run As Administrator option?

> Do you have Norton or other security software running? That could be the
> problem. This post may help.
>
> Vista Network Discovery is grayed out
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=4129#4129
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Thanks for the tip. When I turn off PC Tools Firewall Plus and turn on the
Windows Firewall the network discovery and file sharing options become
available. It's interesting that after I turned them OFF and switched the
firewalls the options reverted back to ON (and unavailable again).

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to turn Discovery and Sharing OFF?
Thank you for the update.