Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium computer

Lenny Jacobs

Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium computer
I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
"Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared files
on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.

Private Network
File Sharing on
Public Folder Sharing on
Printer Sharing on
Password Protected Sharing off
Media Sharing off

The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"

I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel > Hardware
and Sound > Printers

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium computer
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:33:50 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net>
wrote:

>I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
>"Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared files
>on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
>Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.
>
>Private Network
>File Sharing on
>Public Folder Sharing on
>Printer Sharing on
>Password Protected Sharing off
>Media Sharing off
>
>The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"
>
>I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel > Hardware
>and Sound > Printers

Lenny,

This is generally a problem with a personal firewall or the NetBT setting.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

You could diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(Download browstat, and note running the Vista command window as admin!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Paulp

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium
Being new to vista systems I need to ask if your problem exhibited this
behavior.
I was trying to set up a home network between my new dell using vista
premium and my old computer running XP-Home ed through a wired d-link router.
Both computers could ping the router, the xp could ping the vista, but the
vista could not ping the xp! Consequently I can access files on the vista
from xp but not visa versa. What gives??

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:33:50 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
> >"Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared files
> >on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
> >Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.
> >
> >Private Network
> >File Sharing on
> >Public Folder Sharing on
> >Printer Sharing on
> >Password Protected Sharing off
> >Media Sharing off
> >
> >The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"
> >
> >I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel > Hardware
> >and Sound > Printers

> Lenny,
>
> This is generally a problem with a personal firewall or the NetBT setting.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> You could diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
> (Download browstat, and note running the Vista command window as admin!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

iacy

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium computer
There is unfortunately no simple answer to this problem based on my
experience with small business and home networks from a user viewpoint.
You are lucky if it is only a firewall issue. In my experience this is
rarely the problem as most people use the Windows firewall and have used the
network wizard to set up printer and file sharing and have properly allowed
sharing on their individual drives or folders and proper exceptions in the
Windows firewall. Something went wrong in the automated process which is
Microsoft's problem but they foist it off on the end-user.
Rarely will shutting off the firewall or anti-virus program clear the
problem but it is worth trying as a troubleshooting measure.
The problem is usually on the computer that can be seen on the network but
will not allow its files to be shared. Usually it cannot open files from
other computers on the network either but can access the Internet.
This happens on all XP networks, not just XP/Vista mixed networks and is
inherent to the way these versions of Windows can screw up how they
implement network protocols. Microsoft pretends this does not happen or
there are simple ways to straighten it out but nothing could be further from
the truth.
In all honesty I have no clue how the TCP/IP drivers allow you to use the
network to access the Internet (e.g. through your DSL/Cable modem-router)
but not other computers on the network.
The Microsoft Knowledge base can walk you through ways to supposedly reset
the TCP/IP stack through some simple command line orders. You are lucky if
this works.
You can uninstall the protocols, uninstall the drivers for your network
card, reboot and reinstall all and redo the network wizard. If you are lucky
this will work.
However often it does not.
Suggestions beyond that include trying to use NetBios (good luck on that!)
or reinstalling Windows.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium com
Make sure that you run the XP's file and Printer sharing Home Network wizard.
I see that uoi have done the rest, except this.

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Lenny Jacobs" wrote:

> I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
> "Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared files
> on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
> Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.
>
> Private Network
> File Sharing on
> Public Folder Sharing on
> Printer Sharing on
> Password Protected Sharing off
> Media Sharing off
>
> The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"
>
> I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel > Hardware
> and Sound > Printers

Lenny Jacobs

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium
Thanks for the reply. Most of the verbage in the articles that you suggested
are above my head. I just want you to understand my problem :

All of the computers on my LAN can easily share files, XP, Win98, WinME
except the one new Vista machine cannot see files on any other machine using
Windows explorer, but can using Internet Explorer. All of the computers are
in the workgroup "WORKGROUP". The Vista computer is set up properly to
enable viewing files on othe computers on the LAN according to technet
article bb727037.

"Paulp" <Paulp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Being new to vista systems I need to ask if your problem exhibited this
> behavior.
> I was trying to set up a home network between my new dell using vista
> premium and my old computer running XP-Home ed through a wired d-link
> router.
> Both computers could ping the router, the xp could ping the vista, but the
> vista could not ping the xp! Consequently I can access files on the vista
> from xp but not visa versa. What gives??
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:33:50 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs"
>> <lijacobs@optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
>> >"Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared
>> >files
>> >on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
>> >Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
>> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.
>> >
>> >Private Network
>> >File Sharing on
>> >Public Folder Sharing on
>> >Printer Sharing on
>> >Password Protected Sharing off
>> >Media Sharing off
>> >
>> >The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"
>> >
>> >I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel >
>> >Hardware
>> >and Sound > Printers

>> Lenny,
>>
>> This is generally a problem with a personal firewall or the NetBT
>> setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> You could diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status",
>> "ipconfig
>> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
>> computer.
>> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
>> (Download browstat, and note running the Vista command window as admin!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Lenny Jacobs

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium
I can ping any computer on my network from any other computer on my network.

"Paulp" <Paulp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Being new to vista systems I need to ask if your problem exhibited this
> behavior.
> I was trying to set up a home network between my new dell using vista
> premium and my old computer running XP-Home ed through a wired d-link
> router.
> Both computers could ping the router, the xp could ping the vista, but the
> vista could not ping the xp! Consequently I can access files on the vista
> from xp but not visa versa. What gives??
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:33:50 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs"
>> <lijacobs@optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't view shared files on an XP computer on my LAN by clicking on
>> >"Network" in Windows Explorer on my Vista computer. I can view shared
>> >files
>> >on the XP computer by entering \\XPCOMPUTERNAME in the address field of
>> >Internet Explorer. I've setup "Network and Sharing Center" according to
>> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx.
>> >
>> >Private Network
>> >File Sharing on
>> >Public Folder Sharing on
>> >Printer Sharing on
>> >Password Protected Sharing off
>> >Media Sharing off
>> >
>> >The workgroup on both computers is "WORKGROUP"
>> >
>> >I can see the shared printer on my XP computer from Control Panel >
>> >Hardware
>> >and Sound > Printers

>> Lenny,
>>
>> This is generally a problem with a personal firewall or the NetBT
>> setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> You could diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status",
>> "ipconfig
>> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
>> computer.
>> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
>> (Download browstat, and note running the Vista command window as admin!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Lenny Jacobs

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium com
None of your suggestions seem to be the problem. All of the computers on my
LAN can easily share files, XP, Win98, WinME except the one Vista machine
cannot see files on any other machine using Windows explorer, but can using
Internet Explorer. Thanks for trying though.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:41:34 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs" <lijacobs@optonline.net>
wrote:

>"Paulp" <Paulp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Being new to vista systems I need to ask if your problem exhibited this
>> behavior.
>> I was trying to set up a home network between my new dell using vista
>> premium and my old computer running XP-Home ed through a wired d-link
>> router.
>> Both computers could ping the router, the xp could ping the vista, but the
>> vista could not ping the xp! Consequently I can access files on the vista
>> from xp but not visa versa. What gives??
>>
>> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:33:50 -0500, "Lenny Jacobs"
>>> <lijacobs@optonline.net>

>>> Lenny,
>>>
>>> This is generally a problem with a personal firewall or the NetBT
>>> setting.
>>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>>
>>> You could diagnose the problem, with logs from "browstat status",
>>> "ipconfig
>>> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
>>> computer.
>>> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
>>> (Download browstat, and note running the Vista command window as admin!):
>>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

Lenny,

The ability of one computer to "see" another computer, in My Network Places /
Network window, is not magical. It's provided by the browser subsystem (which
is not the same as Internet Explorer). The browser subsystem uses Server
Message Blocks to communicate between computers. Read my browser article, which
should give you an overview of the problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Matt Schuckmann

Re: Can't view shared files on XP computer from Vista Home Premium
Lenny I have the same problem you have.

I have a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) called ReadyNAS NV from
Infrant technologies, and I to can't not browse to the shares on this device
via the Network on my Windows Vista Ultimate 64 laptop.

Under Network I can see the NAS but if I double click on it takes me to the
admin setup webpage for the NAS not the list of share on the NAS. Where as
with all my Windows XP systems if I go to My Network Places I can easly
browse to the shares on the NAS.

However if I type in the Network File Share path to the NAS (e.g \\my-nas
(notice the forward slashes not the back slashes those are for file share not
web pages) in the address for the Network Explorer all of the sudden I can
see the file shares on the NAS.

Does this all sound pretty close like what your experiencing, I think so.

Near as I can figure in my case the Network Explorer (this is the Vista
replacement for "Network Neighborhood" and "My Network Places") is miss
classifying my NAS and thinks it's just a webserver. This is a problem for me
in 2 ways:
1 I have a user that perfers browsing to the shares on the network (they
don't get typing in the URL to the shares)
2. some applications don't allow you to type in paths to directories or
files, you must browse to them (e.g. the standard Windows directory selection
dialog) and if Windows doesn't classify my NAS as a file server it doesn't
seem to show up in these applications.

Basically I think MS got too cute with the new Network Explorer and they
need to open things up a bit more.

So Lenney If you find a solution to your problem or if anybody out there
knows how to correct Network Explorer and make it see things my way I'd very
much appreciate hearing about it.

PS
Chuck, you may know what's going on but apperantly you're going to have to
ease up on the techincal talk a bit for anybody to understand what to do.

If I go to Network