Help setting up user permissions!! HELP!!

kelly

Help setting up user permissions!! HELP!!
OK I have many computers on a network. We can all share files and folders
right now.

I want to setup permissions on one of the folders on a computer so one of
the computers cannot access the files on it. (Everyone can access now I just
want to make it so you have to login to access)

So I right click on the folder I want to setup permissions for select
properties, and select security.

Now I have 3 groups/users there:
1. everyone
2. Office\admin (Office is the name of the computer the folders are on.)
3. Office\master

So I want to ADD a user to this and then deny them access.

Well I click add, then this box comes up for Select Users or Groups.

So I can select object types, okay fine.

Then there the "From this location" box. When I click locations, all that is
there is the computer "Office"

How can I add a user from a different computer??? Or a group from a
different computer????

I have tried adding the computername\user to the box that says "Enter the
object names to select" but it cant find them because they are not on the
"Office" computer.

Please help maybe I am going about this wrong and should do something else.
You would think I could just set up a user/pass on a file and be done with
it????

Please help me.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Help setting up user permissions!! HELP!!
Assuming this is workgroup network, you may need to create all users in the
sharing computer, Then add those users and remove everyone.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK I have many computers on a network. We can all share files and folders
> right now.
>
> I want to setup permissions on one of the folders on a computer so one of
> the computers cannot access the files on it. (Everyone can access now I
> just
> want to make it so you have to login to access)
>
> So I right click on the folder I want to setup permissions for select
> properties, and select security.
>
> Now I have 3 groups/users there:
> 1. everyone
> 2. Office\admin (Office is the name of the computer the folders are
> on.)
> 3. Office\master
>
> So I want to ADD a user to this and then deny them access.
>
> Well I click add, then this box comes up for Select Users or Groups.
>
> So I can select object types, okay fine.
>
> Then there the "From this location" box. When I click locations, all that
> is
> there is the computer "Office"
>
> How can I add a user from a different computer??? Or a group from a
> different computer????
>
> I have tried adding the computername\user to the box that says "Enter the
> object names to select" but it cant find them because they are not on the
> "Office" computer.
>
> Please help maybe I am going about this wrong and should do something
> else.
> You would think I could just set up a user/pass on a file and be done with
> it????
>
> Please help me.

kelly

Re: Help setting up user permissions!! HELP!!
I went on the "shared" computer and it still only gives me the option of
adding users from the computer I am on.

In other words I cannot add users from a different computer.

This permissions feature is for this right??

Thanks for the help...

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assuming this is workgroup network, you may need to create all users in the
> sharing computer, Then add those users and remove everyone.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK I have many computers on a network. We can all share files and folders
> > right now.
> >
> > I want to setup permissions on one of the folders on a computer so one of
> > the computers cannot access the files on it. (Everyone can access now I
> > just
> > want to make it so you have to login to access)
> >
> > So I right click on the folder I want to setup permissions for select
> > properties, and select security.
> >
> > Now I have 3 groups/users there:
> > 1. everyone
> > 2. Office\admin (Office is the name of the computer the folders are
> > on.)
> > 3. Office\master
> >
> > So I want to ADD a user to this and then deny them access.
> >
> > Well I click add, then this box comes up for Select Users or Groups.
> >
> > So I can select object types, okay fine.
> >
> > Then there the "From this location" box. When I click locations, all that
> > is
> > there is the computer "Office"
> >
> > How can I add a user from a different computer??? Or a group from a
> > different computer????
> >
> > I have tried adding the computername\user to the box that says "Enter the
> > object names to select" but it cant find them because they are not on the
> > "Office" computer.
> >
> > Please help maybe I am going about this wrong and should do something
> > else.
> > You would think I could just set up a user/pass on a file and be done with
> > it????
> >
> > Please help me.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Help setting up user permissions!! HELP!!
You need to recreate those users on this machine...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:56:01 -0800, kelly