Unable to map network drive because no network was found

DK

Unable to map network drive because no network was found
We have a mixed environment on a flat network. 18 Linux Servers, 22 Windows
servers an AS400. We are not running Domain Services only workgroups. I have
250 Windows PC's running varoius versions some Running Windows 95, some
Windows 98. Most however have been upgraded to Windows XP. All are connecting
to network shares with no issues. I have a Vista Business Machine that will
not connect to Windows network shares nor Samba Shares no matter what I try.
It is a member of the same workgroup as the rest, I have removed all security
software, turned off Windows Firewall, Set Local security policy Network
Security Lan Manager Authentication level to Send LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2
session security if negotiated, NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Not sure why
this machine won't map out. Any relevant suggestions??
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
Can the Vista computer ping other computers by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"DK" <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a mixed environment on a flat network. 18 Linux Servers, 22
> Windows
> servers an AS400. We are not running Domain Services only workgroups. I
> have
> 250 Windows PC's running varoius versions some Running Windows 95, some
> Windows 98. Most however have been upgraded to Windows XP. All are
> connecting
> to network shares with no issues. I have a Vista Business Machine that
> will
> not connect to Windows network shares nor Samba Shares no matter what I
> try.
> It is a member of the same workgroup as the rest, I have removed all
> security
> software, turned off Windows Firewall, Set Local security policy Network
> Security Lan Manager Authentication level to Send LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2
> session security if negotiated, NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Not sure
> why
> this machine won't map out. Any relevant suggestions??

DK

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
Yes, and using the net view command, the server is listed. It is not listed
however in the network folder.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can the Vista computer ping other computers by IP?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "DK" <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a mixed environment on a flat network. 18 Linux Servers, 22
> > Windows
> > servers an AS400. We are not running Domain Services only workgroups. I
> > have
> > 250 Windows PC's running varoius versions some Running Windows 95, some
> > Windows 98. Most however have been upgraded to Windows XP. All are
> > connecting
> > to network shares with no issues. I have a Vista Business Machine that
> > will
> > not connect to Windows network shares nor Samba Shares no matter what I
> > try.
> > It is a member of the same workgroup as the rest, I have removed all
> > security
> > software, turned off Windows Firewall, Set Local security policy Network
> > Security Lan Manager Authentication level to Send LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2
> > session security if negotiated, NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Not sure
> > why
> > this machine won't map out. Any relevant suggestions??

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
Can net view \\hostname? if not, what's the system error/

--

> Yes, and using the net view command, the server is listed. It is not
> listed
> however in the network folder.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can the Vista computer ping other computers by IP?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "DK" <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a mixed environment on a flat network. 18 Linux Servers, 22
>> > Windows
>> > servers an AS400. We are not running Domain Services only workgroups. I
>> > have
>> > 250 Windows PC's running varoius versions some Running Windows 95, some
>> > Windows 98. Most however have been upgraded to Windows XP. All are
>> > connecting
>> > to network shares with no issues. I have a Vista Business Machine that
>> > will
>> > not connect to Windows network shares nor Samba Shares no matter what I
>> > try.
>> > It is a member of the same workgroup as the rest, I have removed all
>> > security
>> > software, turned off Windows Firewall, Set Local security policy
>> > Network
>> > Security Lan Manager Authentication level to Send LM and NTLM - use
>> > NTLMv2
>> > session security if negotiated, NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Not
>> > sure
>> > why
>> > this machine won't map out. Any relevant suggestions??

DK

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
No, it returned System error 53 has occourred. The network path was not found.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can net view \\hostname? if not, what's the system error/
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "DK" <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, and using the net view command, the server is listed. It is not
> > listed
> > however in the network folder.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can the Vista computer ping other computers by IP?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
System error 53 could be the name resolution issue. Have you enabled NetBIOS
over TCP/IP? Or this post may help.

Vista Name Resolution IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 am Post
subject: Solved: Vista can net view but not browse network ... Perhaps the
NetBIOS over TCP/IP is checked. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanameissues.htm

--

> No, it returned System error 53 has occourred. The network path was not
> found.
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can net view \\hostname? if not, what's the system error/
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "DK" <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, and using the net view command, the server is listed. It is not
>> > listed
>> > however in the network folder.

DK

Re: Unable to map network drive because no network was found
Yes, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled. Post did not apply. There is NO Domain
Controller.