internet Connectivity Stops Working

EC

internet Connectivity Stops Working
I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time after
boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when things are
working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops working.
Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not every
time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.

It is important to note that there is another possibly related issue where
the PC will suddenly restart while I am browsing the internet. This is a
more rare occurrence, but may be related.

Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet connection. No
wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an ethernet
cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network card is
from Nvidia.

History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have updated
the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to an old
version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one that
the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS Packet
Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried the
"netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution (same
result).

If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Mick Murphy

RE: internet Connectivity Stops Working
Look for NIC drivers at Dell's website.

"EC" wrote:

> I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
> connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time after
> boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
> happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
> network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when things are
> working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops working.
> Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not every
> time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
> rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.
>
> It is important to note that there is another possibly related issue where
> the PC will suddenly restart while I am browsing the internet. This is a
> more rare occurrence, but may be related.
>
> Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet connection. No
> wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an ethernet
> cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network card is
> from Nvidia.
>
> History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have updated
> the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to an old
> version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one that
> the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS Packet
> Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried the
> "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution (same
> result).
>
> If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks!

EC

RE: internet Connectivity Stops Working
I did but the only driver available is an update. I installed that update,
but had the same result. I read on some other posts that it was worthwhile
to roll the driver back to an old version, but I was not able to find an old
version of the driver to download. The only drivers I have are the version
that the PC shipped with and the update, neither of which seems to fix this
problem.
Any other ideas?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Look for NIC drivers at Dell's website.
>
> "EC" wrote:
>
> > I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
> > connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time after
> > boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
> > happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
> > network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when things are
> > working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops working.
> > Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not every
> > time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
> > rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.
> >
> > It is important to note that there is another possibly related issue where
> > the PC will suddenly restart while I am browsing the internet. This is a
> > more rare occurrence, but may be related.
> >
> > Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet connection. No
> > wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an ethernet
> > cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network card is
> > from Nvidia.
> >
> > History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have updated
> > the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to an old
> > version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one that
> > the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS Packet
> > Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried the
> > "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution (same
> > result).
> >
> > If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
> > Thanks!

sam

RE: internet Connectivity Stops Working
I have the same problem. As of now it is working by disable IPv6 and reduce
MTU in my D-Link router from 1500 to 1452. Hope this will help.

"EC" wrote:

> I did but the only driver available is an update. I installed that update,
> but had the same result. I read on some other posts that it was worthwhile
> to roll the driver back to an old version, but I was not able to find an old
> version of the driver to download. The only drivers I have are the version
> that the PC shipped with and the update, neither of which seems to fix this
> problem.
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Look for NIC drivers at Dell's website.
> >
> > "EC" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
> > > connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time after
> > > boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
> > > happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
> > > network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when things are
> > > working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops working.
> > > Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not every
> > > time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
> > > rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.
> > >
> > > It is important to note that there is another possibly related issue where
> > > the PC will suddenly restart while I am browsing the internet. This is a
> > > more rare occurrence, but may be related.
> > >
> > > Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet connection. No
> > > wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an ethernet
> > > cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network card is
> > > from Nvidia.
> > >
> > > History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have updated
> > > the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to an old
> > > version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one that
> > > the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS Packet
> > > Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried the
> > > "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution (same
> > > result).
> > >
> > > If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
> > > Thanks!

EC

RE: internet Connectivity Stops Working
I tried both of those those.
The following info might help debug this issue. I did a ipconfig/all with
the internet connection working, and then again after it stopped working.
After it stopped working, there was a listing for a IPv6 address, but IPv6 is
disabled. Please reply if anyone has ideas. Thanks.

******** Working Correctly ********
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Inspiron
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxxxx.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-A0-58-A3-B3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 70.116.15.2(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:12:11 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 06, 2008 2:40:39 PM
24.93.41.126
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.xxxxxx.rr.com
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::200:5efe:70.116.15.2%10(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
24.93.41.126
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:4674:f02::4674:f02(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
24.93.41.126
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

******** Not Working ********
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

[...]

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
2001:0:4136:e38c:20c1:c99:b98b:f0fd(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20c1:c99:b98b:f0fd%8(Preferred)

"sam" wrote:

> I have the same problem. As of now it is working by disable IPv6 and reduce
> MTU in my D-Link router from 1500 to 1452. Hope this will help.
>
> "EC" wrote:
>
> > I did but the only driver available is an update. I installed that update,
> > but had the same result. I read on some other posts that it was worthwhile
> > to roll the driver back to an old version, but I was not able to find an old
> > version of the driver to download. The only drivers I have are the version
> > that the PC shipped with and the update, neither of which seems to fix this
> > problem.
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > Look for NIC drivers at Dell's website.

Barb Bowman

Re: internet Connectivity Stops Working
is there a power management setting in device manager for the NIC
that allows the computer to turn of the card to save power? turn
off power management if that is the case.

did this computer come with Norton or some other product? if yes,
uninstall it for now to rule out interference from that.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
LeeCO

Re: internet Connectivity Stops Working
I can tell you that the only solution I found for this was to completely
uninstall Norton (using the Norton uninstall program that i downloaded). I
am not sure what the interference is from Norton, and have found nothing on
the Norton site to help. I do know that my Vista laptop now connects, but
not sure if it will stay connected.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> [...]
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
> > 24.93.41.126
> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
> >
> >Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.rr.com
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> > Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:4674:f02::4674:f02(Preferred)
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
> > 24.93.41.126
> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
> >

> >"sam" wrote:
> >
> >> I have the same problem. As of now it is working by disable IPv6 and reduce
> >> MTU in my D-Link router from 1500 to 1452. Hope this will help.

EC

Re: internet Connectivity Stops Working
I have disabled Windows from powering down the NIC card. That didn't solve
the problem. I ran the Norton uninstall program and that didn't change
anything either. There doesn't seem to be any trace of any Norton software
on the PC.

One thing that I noticed is that I can visit some web pages with no problem.
But certain sites seem to cause the network connection to fail, and then I
have to re-boot to get it to work again. The yahoo mail site is one of these
sites that causes the onset of the issue.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I am close to the point of trying to
return the computer. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

"LeeCO" wrote:

> [...]
> > > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> > > Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
> > >fe80::200:5efe:70.116.15.2%10(Preferred)
> > >
> > > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> > > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
> > > 24.93.41.126
> > > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
> > >
> > >Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
> > >
> > > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.rr.com
> > > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
> > > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> > > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> > > Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:4674:f02::4674:f02(Preferred)
> > > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
> > > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.125
> > > 24.93.41.126
> > > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

DjLevel9

EC;547484 Wrote:
> I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
> connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time
> after
> boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
> happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
> network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when
> things are
> working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops
> working.
> Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not
> every
> time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
> rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.
>
> It is important to note that there is another possibly related issue
> where
> the PC will suddenly restart while I am browsing the internet. This is
> more rare occurrence, but may be related.
>
> Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet
> connection. No
> wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an
> ethernet
> cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network
> card is
> from Nvidia.
>
> History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have
> updated
> the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to
> an old
> version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one
> that
> the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS
> Packet
> Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried
> the
> "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution
> (same
> result).
>
> If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks! Go directly to the Manisfacture of you're mother board come with on the

dvd cd ,

all check the manifactures wen site uninstall the update In Control
Panel then <Device Manager)-Then<Network Adaptors> Check the date if the
update was with a week or so to it Uninstall It But before make sure you
have the Cd That came with you're computer Most Computer Recovery Disks
have this Onthem stick with the one that came with Untill microsoft
fixes the probelm

when and after you Uninstall the update restart you're Vista the let it
boot up wait untill everything loads up in you're desk top you might get
vista trying to Install network controler cancel it On't Install the one
that on the disk that came with you're computer we know it works if was
like mine trust i'm glad i took the update off ,,

then once install go into the instilation of you're modem make sure
it's connected .

then turn the power off of you're Modem for 10 Secs then turn it back
on wait till everything lights up and you have everything Lit back up
before you surf the net , it should put everything back the way it was,
Print this out soe yea have a reference to follow let me know if it
works it was a Long post but i wanted to tery and cover everything.

--
DjLevel9
Barb Bowman

Re: internet Connectivity Stops Working