RE: Extremely slow network connection / internet

EC

RE: Extremely slow network connection / internet
I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure it is the same. My internet
connection seems to suddenly go dead after working OK for some time after
boot-up. I have to re-boot several times a day to reset whatever is
happening. I have noticed that the pop-up message when I mouse over the
network connection icon in the tray says "Local and Internet" when things are
working, and it says "Local only" when the internet suddenly stops working.
Some web sites seem to invoke this problem more than others, but not every
time. For example, I have been able to view my Hotmail email, but I can
rarely get through the log-in on the Yahoo email web site.

Setup: Brand new desktop (Dell Inspiron) with cable internet connection. No
wireless router - I connect to the cable modem directly with an ethernet
cable. The PC is running Windows Vista home edition, and the network card is
from Nvidia.

History: This problem has been present right out of the box. I have updated
the NIC driver (same result). I have tried to roll the driver back to an old
version, but couldn't find one to download that is older than the one that
the PC shipped with. From the NIC properties, I tried disabling QoS Packet
Scheduler, Ipv 6, and the topology items (same result). I also tried the
"netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" solution (same
result).

If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

"Alastair" wrote:

> I have installed Vista RC1 5600 on a few machines, but have a problem (on all
> machines) where some sites are either incredibly slow or just seem to grind
> to a halt and not load.
>
> Some sites are ok e.g google, but most others including microsoft.com seem
> to load a bit of the page, page title, but then stop. Iv'e tried using IE7
> and also FireFox, but get the same problem.
>
> Under internet options> lan settings, I do not have 'Automatically detect
> settings' ticked. (though it is the same with it ticked) and I have also
> tried turning off Phishing filter, protected mode and things like activex and
> java.
>
> The same sites open fine with IE7 or Firefox under windows XP. It is not
> just internet pages either as downloads on Vista seem to be the same, e.g.
> attempting to download firefox will gert about 20k, then stop. (on a 2mb line
> -fine on XP)
>
> I'm going to download RC1 5728, but I had the same problem with 5536 so not
> holding my breath...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Alastair

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Extremely slow network connection / internet
Tyr to disable IPv6 first. if that doesn't fix the problem. Check this link.
Please post back with the result.

Vista Local OnlyVista Local Only. Vista: Local only - no Internet issues
Vista - Local Connection Only Vista: Wireless local only. Post your
questions, comments, ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE