problems with file sharing between Vista and XP

Ruud

problems with file sharing between Vista and XP
Hi,
If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
(fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
vista computers are wireless.

The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both XP
computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but when
you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
computer is not accessible.

Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that someone
can help me.

thanks in advance

Ruud
The Netherlands

Groeten Ruud

--
best regards
Daniel- Sydney

RE: problems with file sharing between Vista and XP
Hi

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give some advice, but this is the
same problem I posted yesterday and the fix I was given is as follow.

In the Vista PC right click on the c: drive, or whichever drive you want to
share, go to properties, then Security, make sure the user name on the XP PC
is included and that the permissions are set.

cheers

"Ruud" wrote:

> Hi,
> If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
> two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
> (fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
> vista computers are wireless.
>
> The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both XP
> computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but when
> you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
> computer is not accessible.
>
> Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that someone
> can help me.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Ruud
> The Netherlands
>

> Groeten Ruud
>
> --
> best regards

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: problems with file sharing between Vista and XP
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. This is the another post.

Vista can't access XP hard drives because of permissions
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2198

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Daniel- Sydney" <DanielSydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news644C83D-0F86-4E5A-B0F9-8E8DED993A14@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give some advice, but this is
> the
> same problem I posted yesterday and the fix I was given is as follow.
>
> In the Vista PC right click on the c: drive, or whichever drive you want
> share, go to properties, then Security, make sure the user name on the XP
> PC
> is included and that the permissions are set.
>

> cheers
>

> "Ruud" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
>> two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
>> (fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
>> vista computers are wireless.
>>
>> The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both
>> XP
>> computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but
>> when
>> you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
>> computer is not accessible.
>>
>> Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that
>> someone
>> can help me.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Ruud
>> The Netherlands
>>

>> Groeten Ruud
>>
>> --
>> best regards

Chuck [MVP]

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:15:04 -0800, Ruud <Ruud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
>two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
>(fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
>vista computers are wireless.
>
>The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both XP
>computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but when
>you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
>computer is not accessible.
>
>Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that someone
>can help me.
>
>thanks in advance
>
>Ruud
>The Netherlands
>

>Groeten Ruud

Groeten,

What's the complete and precise error message? Start there.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/look-at-complete-detail-in-error.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...-in-error.html

Next, look at Vista peculiarities.

The most common cause of " ... not accessible ..." is improperly configured
personal firewalls or other security components.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

If no help yet, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose
the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and observe how to run a command window as
admin!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: problems with file sharing between Vista and XP

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Ruud" wrote:

> Hi,
> If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
> two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
> (fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
> vista computers are wireless.
>
> The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both XP
> computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but when
> you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
> computer is not accessible.
>
> Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that someone
> can help me.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Ruud
> The Netherlands
>

> Groeten Ruud
>
> --
> best regards

Ruud

RE: problems with file sharing between Vista and XP
Thanks a lot Mick,
the trick was to rerun the wizard on the XP computers

Ruud van der Pol (the Netherlans)
--
best regards

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Ruud" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > If have the following problem. I have a Vista computer (home premium) and
> > two XP computers in one network. They all have the same workgroup name
> > (fampol). The Vista computer is connected to the router with a wire, the
> > vista computers are wireless.
> >
> > The vista computer can see the XP computers and all the shared maps, both XP
> > computers can see the workgroup and the name of the Vista computer. but when
> > you double click the name of the computer the message appears that the
> > computer is not accessible.
> >
> > Everything worked perfect when I had three XP computers. I hope that someone
> > can help me.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Ruud
> > The Netherlands
> >

> > Groeten Ruud
> >
> > --
> > best regards

Mick Murphy

RE: problems with file sharing between Vista and XP
Thanks for the reply.

You would be surprised how many people forget to rerun the XP Wizard AFTER
hooking up the Vista computer!

Good luck, Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.