All browsers time out on most sites sharing

All browsers time out on most sites

My OS is Vista Home Premium.
My ISP is Verizon and I connect thru an Actiontech wireless

The majority of sites I try to visit with any browser time out. No
error message. Just a blank page and a swirling load icon that animates

I have no problem pinging any address on DOS prompt though and most
non-browser progs that use the net function perfectly; curiously, I
can't sign onto MSN messenger but I can sign on to AIM and Yahoo

SOME sites I have no trouble accessing: Google, CNN, Youtube, YTMND
(homepage only), Yahoo (homepage only), and fortunately, this forum.
There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why a select few pages are

This issue happens on both IE and Firefox.

I have an additional XP machine that runs on the same ISP and modem via
a USB wireless adapter. It does not share this problem so hence, the
issue is isolated to this Vista machine.

I have been on the phone with tech support from both my ISP and Hewlett
Packard for hours. Both reps exhausted all their troubleshooting options
and both promised I would be contacted by "an advanced technician"
within the next 24 hours. The Verizon rep insisted there was nothing
wrong with the line (which was hard to believe at first because this
issue coincided with an outage in my area as their recording reported
to me). The HP rep suggested performing a Full System Recovery that
will wipe out the contents of my HD in the process

I have tried:
*Rebooting the PC
*Recycling the power of the modem
*Uninstalling/Reinstalling the network card via Device Manager
*System Restore to an earlier date
*Rebooting the OS in Safe Mode with Network ability (same thing happens
in safe mode)
*shutting down all firewalls
*Uninstalling Norton Antivirus

What is going on here?

Triangleman's Profile:
View this thread:

Re: All browsers time out on most sites

Can you post the results of a diagnostic? There are also many problems
relating to devices and registry settings caused by Vista checkout for some guides and help that might be of some
use to your setup/browsing problems.

Re: All browsers time out on most sites

HP Health Check and PC-Doctor detected no problems if thats what you
mean by a diagnostic.

Triangleman's Profile:
View this thread:

Wireless does not connect to browsers Ed Allan sharing 4 09-23-2007 09:02
Brief: Less buggy browsers not less risky? Steve Security News 0 08-28-2007 19:11
Vista and Browsers Conor setup 3 06-03-2007 02:43
Does It Take Two Browsers to Make Surfing Safe? BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 05-02-2007 12:44
Web browsers not loading =?Utf-8?B?S2VycmFuY2U=?= sharing 3 03-15-2007 00:45