Ridiculously Slow Network Transfers

Mark Olbert

Ridiculously Slow Network Transfers
I have two Vista machines connected to a domain at home, in addition to several XP machines.

File transfers between the Vista machines are ridiculously slow. As in -- maybe -- 2 or 3 MB/sec over a 100M Ethernet connection. XP
machines transfer files at substantially higher rates (in excess of 7 MB/second).

What gives? How do I fix this? Why in the world is a newer operating system going >>backwards<< in terms of performance???

- Mark
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Ridiculously Slow Network Transfers
You may want to disable the automatic adjustment for the TCP window size. Or
this troubleshooting may help. Please post back with the result.

Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I have a
mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista > > business)
Two are Vista . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mark Olbert" <ChairmanMAO@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
newsck8m311fmpvaccfq3rr1hsr8qhm60dj54@4ax.com...
>I have two Vista machines connected to a domain at home, in addition to
>several XP machines.
>
> File transfers between the Vista machines are ridiculously slow. As in --
> maybe -- 2 or 3 MB/sec over a 100M Ethernet connection. XP
> machines transfer files at substantially higher rates (in excess of 7
> MB/second).
>
> What gives? How do I fix this? Why in the world is a newer operating
> system going >>backwards<< in terms of performance???
>
> - Mark

Wessel Troost

Re: Ridiculously Slow Network Transfers
> What gives? How do I fix this? Why in the world is a newer operating system going >>backwards<< in terms of performance???

Two suggestions that helped me in similiar situation:
- If you're running a firewall, anti-spyware, anti-spam, or virus
scanner, check if disabling them helps. I haven't found a virus
scanner yet that does not have reproducible issues with Vista.
- Transfer the files using FTP or the command line xcopy command.
Jrz

Mark Olbert wrote:
> I have two Vista machines connected to a domain at home, in addition to several XP machines.
>
> File transfers between the Vista machines are ridiculously slow. As in -- maybe -- 2 or 3 MB/sec over a 100M Ethernet connection. XP
> machines transfer files at substantially higher rates (in excess of 7 MB/second).
>
> What gives? How do I fix this? Why in the world is a newer operating system going >>backwards<< in terms of performance???

that's exactly it, Mark. The TCP/IP stack was completely rewritten for
Vista. You'd think they'd have had such a basic issue corrected by now,
but they don't.

try this long running thread, for reports of how the NETSH fix at times
does and doesn't work

http://itsvista.com/2007/02/itsvista...slow-in-vista/
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Ridiculously Slow Network Transfers
The netsh scripts are stopgap measures until SP1 (for all intents and
purposes).

Make sure that RSS and autotuninglevel are both disabled...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006