XP/Vista File Sharing problem

PA

XP/Vista File Sharing problem
Hello,

I've read through the newsgroup and the various links posted and am still
having connectivity problems. I am trying to connect a laptop running XP
Home with a desktop running Vista Home Premium. Both machines can get onto
the Internet via the same wireless router. Currently, in my Network Places
on the XP machine, I can see the Vista machine but when I click on it, it
says //computername is not accessible. On the Vista PC, I can view the XP
machine within the Network Map, but am not able to click on it. It also does
not show up under the "View Computers & Devices" link. Based on others'
problems here, I've tried the following:

On the XP machine:
- disabled the Windows firewall on the XP, no other firewall running
- ran the network wizard and saved the setup files to a thumb drive and
installed on the Vista
- enabled File & Printer sharing, and shared a folder

On the Vista machine:
- made the network private, changed the workgroup to WORKGROUP, to match the
XP machine
- turned off Password protected sharing, turned everything else on

Thanks in advance for your help!
PA

RE: XP/Vista File Sharing problem
So it turned out that I had Norton Firewall still running on the Vista
machine. I'm able to access the Vista from the XP laptop if I disable the
firewall. I'm still however not able to access the XP machine from Vista
regardless of the firewall settings.

"PA" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've read through the newsgroup and the various links posted and am still
> having connectivity problems. I am trying to connect a laptop running XP
> Home with a desktop running Vista Home Premium. Both machines can get onto
> the Internet via the same wireless router. Currently, in my Network Places
> on the XP machine, I can see the Vista machine but when I click on it, it
> says //computername is not accessible. On the Vista PC, I can view the XP
> machine within the Network Map, but am not able to click on it. It also does
> not show up under the "View Computers & Devices" link. Based on others'
> problems here, I've tried the following:
>
> On the XP machine:
> - disabled the Windows firewall on the XP, no other firewall running
> - ran the network wizard and saved the setup files to a thumb drive and
> installed on the Vista
> - enabled File & Printer sharing, and shared a folder
>
> On the Vista machine:
> - made the network private, changed the workgroup to WORKGROUP, to match the
> XP machine
> - turned off Password protected sharing, turned everything else on
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP/Vista File Sharing problem
can you ping the XP by IP? If yes, what do you receive if using net view
\\xpipaddress?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So it turned out that I had Norton Firewall still running on the Vista
> machine. I'm able to access the Vista from the XP laptop if I disable the
> firewall. I'm still however not able to access the XP machine from Vista
> regardless of the firewall settings.
>
> "PA" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've read through the newsgroup and the various links posted and am still
>> having connectivity problems. I am trying to connect a laptop running XP
>> Home with a desktop running Vista Home Premium. Both machines can get
>> onto
>> the Internet via the same wireless router. Currently, in my Network
>> Places
>> on the XP machine, I can see the Vista machine but when I click on it, it
>> says //computername is not accessible. On the Vista PC, I can view the
>> XP
>> machine within the Network Map, but am not able to click on it. It also
>> does
>> not show up under the "View Computers & Devices" link. Based on others'
>> problems here, I've tried the following:
>>
>> On the XP machine:
>> - disabled the Windows firewall on the XP, no other firewall running
>> - ran the network wizard and saved the setup files to a thumb drive and
>> installed on the Vista
>> - enabled File & Printer sharing, and shared a folder
>>
>> On the Vista machine:
>> - made the network private, changed the workgroup to WORKGROUP, to match
>> the
>> XP machine
>> - turned off Password protected sharing, turned everything else on
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help!

Mick Murphy

RE: XP/Vista File Sharing problem

How to give Permissions are there, too.