vista,xp and xbox 360 lots of problems

haddle

vista,xp and xbox 360 lots of problems
I have recently purchased a laptop with vista premium and have tried to
connect it to my home network which consists of 2 XP machines an xbox 360 and
a linksys router. I have a shared printer attached to one of the XP machines.

I have managed to get most things working but not all.

Vista can see all the shared folders and the printer on the XP machine,
however it cannot connect to all the shared folders, one of them says I don't
have permission. All the other shared folders are fine. It also cannot
connect to the printer (do not have permission again). I have installed the
printer driver on my vista machine and tried to connect directly by typing in
\\computername\printername but it won't let me connect. I know the printer
works with vista as I can plug it in directly and use it. I also know it is
shared correctly as the other XP machine is fine with it.

Now to the xbox 360. It can't see the vista machine at all. I have set up
media sharing and the vista machine sees the xbox, but the xbox can't see the
vista machine. The xbox can see all my other media services on the XP
machines (twonky media and media player)

So I tried using the media center extender capability and this time the
vista machine can't find an extender. I have never used the xbox as a media
centre extender before, I've only used standard streaming from XP media
player and twonkymedia.

I have removed norton and turned off windows firewall, but still no luck.

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. I'm a technical person
by profession so I'm not stupid when it comes to this stuff, but vista is
really giving me problems.

I just want the basics here. Shared folders, shared printers and the xbox
media center extender.

Mick Murphy

RE: vista,xp and xbox 360 lots of problems

How to give Permissions are there, too.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

I know nothing about Xboxes!!!!

"haddle" wrote:

> I have recently purchased a laptop with vista premium and have tried to
> connect it to my home network which consists of 2 XP machines an xbox 360 and
> a linksys router. I have a shared printer attached to one of the XP machines.
>
> I have managed to get most things working but not all.
>
> Vista can see all the shared folders and the printer on the XP machine,
> however it cannot connect to all the shared folders, one of them says I don't
> have permission. All the other shared folders are fine. It also cannot
> connect to the printer (do not have permission again). I have installed the
> printer driver on my vista machine and tried to connect directly by typing in
> \\computername\printername but it won't let me connect. I know the printer
> works with vista as I can plug it in directly and use it. I also know it is
> shared correctly as the other XP machine is fine with it.
>
> Now to the xbox 360. It can't see the vista machine at all. I have set up
> media sharing and the vista machine sees the xbox, but the xbox can't see the
> vista machine. The xbox can see all my other media services on the XP
> machines (twonky media and media player)
>
> So I tried using the media center extender capability and this time the
> vista machine can't find an extender. I have never used the xbox as a media
> centre extender before, I've only used standard streaming from XP media
> player and twonkymedia.
>
> I have removed norton and turned off windows firewall, but still no luck.
>
> I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. I'm a technical person
> by profession so I'm not stupid when it comes to this stuff, but vista is
> really giving me problems.
>
> I just want the basics here. Shared folders, shared printers and the xbox
> media center extender.

haddle

RE: vista,xp and xbox 360 lots of problems
I have gone through all these steps and believe everything is set up as it
should be.