Offer Remote Assistance

churin

Offer Remote Assistance
Is there anyone using or have used Offer Remote Assistance which is in
'Maintenance' folder in the start-up programs?
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Offer Remote Assistance
"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
> Is there anyone using or have used Offer Remote Assistance which is in
> 'Maintenance' folder in the start-up programs?

This is my experience with the RA "offer" functionality between two Vista
Ultimate boxes in a workgroup environment.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18878570?hilite=

As always, YMMV...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

churin

Re: Offer Remote Assistance
Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> Is there anyone using or have used Offer Remote Assistance which is in
>> 'Maintenance' folder in the start-up programs?

> This is my experience with the RA "offer" functionality between two
> Vista Ultimate boxes in a workgroup environment.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18878570?hilite=
>
> As always, YMMV...

Thanks for your response. I have reviewed info at the link but they
appeared to be about computer running Windows XP or Windows 2003 in
domain environment. I wonder if I missed something?

What I want to do is offering unsolicited RA from Windows Vista Ultimate
to other Windows Vista Ultimate. I have no problem doing this by
initiating it from Windows Live Messenger but could not figure out how
to do it using "Offer Remote Assistance" in the "Maintenance" folder of

> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>>> Is there anyone using or have used Offer Remote Assistance which is in
>>> 'Maintenance' folder in the start-up programs?

>> This is my experience with the RA "offer" functionality between two Vista
>> Ultimate boxes in a workgroup environment.
>>
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18878570?hilite=
>>
>> As always, YMMV...

> Thanks for your response. I have reviewed info at the link but they
> appeared to be about computer running Windows XP or Windows 2003 in domain
> environment. I wonder if I missed something?
>
> What I want to do is offering unsolicited RA from Windows Vista Ultimate
> to other Windows Vista Ultimate. I have no problem doing this by
> initiating it from Windows Live Messenger but could not figure out how to
> do it using "Offer Remote Assistance" in the "Maintenance" folder of the
> startup programs.

I think you better go back and read the whole posting...:-)

More information...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8732&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2938&SiteID=17

> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>>>
>>> This is my experience with the RA "offer" functionality between two
>>> Vista Ultimate boxes in a workgroup environment.
>>>
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18878570?hilite=
>>>
>>> As always, YMMV...

>> Thanks for your response. I have reviewed info at the link but they
>> appeared to be about computer running Windows XP or Windows 2003 in
>> domain environment. I wonder if I missed something?
>>
>> What I want to do is offering unsolicited RA from Windows Vista Ultimate
>> to other Windows Vista Ultimate. I have no problem doing this by
>> initiating it from Windows Live Messenger but could not figure out how to
>> do it using "Offer Remote Assistance" in the "Maintenance" folder of the
>> startup programs.
>>

> I think you better go back and read the whole posting...:-)
>
> More information...
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8732&SiteID=17
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2938&SiteID=17
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

OK, your talking about "Help and Support". If you open "Help and Support"
you will see an option to "Use -> Remote Assistance to get help from a
friend or offer help" option. Click on that and select the "Offer to help
someone" option. Over a local network (LAN) or through a VPN tunnel you can
use the IP of the computer you want to access via RA. Note that you need to
configure the two group policies I pointed you to in the first reply on each
machine before you can offer help. Obviously Remote Assistance needs to be
enabled on the Novice machine.

By the way "Help and Support" should probably be in the Start Menu instead
of needing to navigate to the Maintenance folder. If its not there you can
right click on Start and select Properties. Next select the Start Menu tab,
then Start Menu then Customize and check the checkbox next to "Help" in the
list of items you want displayed.

Good luck...

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for your response. I have reviewed info at the link but they
>>> appeared to be about computer running Windows XP or Windows 2003 in
>>> domain environment. I wonder if I missed something?
>>>
>>> What I want to do is offering unsolicited RA from Windows Vista
>>> Ultimate to other Windows Vista Ultimate. I have no problem doing
>>> this by initiating it from Windows Live Messenger but could not
>>> figure out how to do it using "Offer Remote Assistance" in the
>>> "Maintenance" folder of the startup programs.
>>>

>> I think you better go back and read the whole posting...:-)
>>
>> More information...
>>
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8732&SiteID=17
>>

>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2938&SiteID=17
>>

>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

> OK, your talking about "Help and Support". If you open "Help and
> Support" you will see an option to "Use -> Remote Assistance to get help
> from a friend or offer help" option. Click on that and select the "Offer
> to help someone" option. Over a local network (LAN) or through a VPN
> tunnel you can use the IP of the computer you want to access via RA.
> Note that you need to configure the two group policies I pointed you to
> in the first reply on each machine before you can offer help. Obviously
> Remote Assistance needs to be enabled on the Novice machine.
>
> By the way "Help and Support" should probably be in the Start Menu
> instead of needing to navigate to the Maintenance folder. If its not
> there you can right click on Start and select Properties. Next select
> the Start Menu tab, then Start Menu then Customize and check the
> checkbox next to "Help" in the list of items you want displayed.
>
> Good luck...

No, I am NOT talking about "Help and Support". What I am asking about is
"Windows Remote Assistance" short-cut which is in "Maintenance" folder
among the start up programs folders. If I click this short-cut then
there displayed are two options, one of which is "Offer to help
someone". This is going to be unsolicited Remote Assistance offer.

I used unsolicited Remote Assistance or "Offer Remote Assistance" from
WLM but this option has been dropped from WLM with the latest version.
So I would like to use unsolicited RA in an alternate way as above. I
entered the global IP address of my friend's PC but connection never
happened.

> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message

>>> I think you better go back and read the whole posting...:-)
>>>
>>> More information...
>>>
>>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8732&SiteID=17
>>>
>>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2938&SiteID=17
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>> OK, your talking about "Help and Support". If you open "Help and Support"
>> you will see an option to "Use -> Remote Assistance to get help from a
>> friend or offer help" option. Click on that and select the "Offer to help
>> someone" option. Over a local network (LAN) or through a VPN tunnel you
>> can use the IP of the computer you want to access via RA. Note that you
>> need to configure the two group policies I pointed you to in the first
>> reply on each machine before you can offer help. Obviously Remote
>> Assistance needs to be enabled on the Novice machine.
>>
>> By the way "Help and Support" should probably be in the Start Menu
>> instead of needing to navigate to the Maintenance folder. If its not
>> there you can right click on Start and select Properties. Next select the
>> Start Menu tab, then Start Menu then Customize and check the checkbox
>> next to "Help" in the list of items you want displayed.
>>
>> Good luck...
>>

> No, I am NOT talking about "Help and Support". What I am asking about is
> "Windows Remote Assistance" short-cut which is in "Maintenance" folder
> among the start up programs folders. If I click this short-cut then there
> displayed are two options, one of which is "Offer to help someone". This
> is going to be unsolicited Remote Assistance offer.
>
> I used unsolicited Remote Assistance or "Offer Remote Assistance" from WLM
> but this option has been dropped from WLM with the latest version. So I
> would like to use unsolicited RA in an alternate way as above. I entered
> the global IP address of my friend's PC but connection never happened.

Well, I don't have a "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the
maintenance folder on my Vista Ultimate machine. I do have a "Help and
Support" short cut in that folder.

Beyond that did you enable the two group policies, ie. Solicited and Offer?

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

>>> OK, your talking about "Help and Support". If you open "Help and
>>> Support" you will see an option to "Use -> Remote Assistance to get
>>> help from a friend or offer help" option. Click on that and select
>>> the "Offer to help someone" option. Over a local network (LAN) or
>>> through a VPN tunnel you can use the IP of the computer you want to
>>> access via RA. Note that you need to configure the two group policies
>>> I pointed you to in the first reply on each machine before you can
>>> offer help. Obviously Remote Assistance needs to be enabled on the
>>> Novice machine.
>>>
>>> By the way "Help and Support" should probably be in the Start Menu
>>> instead of needing to navigate to the Maintenance folder. If its not
>>> there you can right click on Start and select Properties. Next select
>>> the Start Menu tab, then Start Menu then Customize and check the
>>> checkbox next to "Help" in the list of items you want displayed.
>>>
>>> Good luck...
>>>

>> No, I am NOT talking about "Help and Support". What I am asking about
>> is "Windows Remote Assistance" short-cut which is in "Maintenance"
>> folder among the start up programs folders. If I click this short-cut
>> then there displayed are two options, one of which is "Offer to help
>> someone". This is going to be unsolicited Remote Assistance offer.
>>
>> I used unsolicited Remote Assistance or "Offer Remote Assistance" from
>> WLM but this option has been dropped from WLM with the latest version.
>> So I would like to use unsolicited RA in an alternate way as above. I
>> entered the global IP address of my friend's PC but connection never
>> happened.

> Well, I don't have a "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the
> maintenance folder on my Vista Ultimate machine. I do have a "Help and
> Support" short cut in that folder.
>
> Beyond that did you enable the two group policies, ie. Solicited and Offer?

That is strange. Then, are you RUNing msra.exe which is buried deep in
the system folder? I checked four other Vista Ultimate boxes and they
all have "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the Maintenace folder.

The reference about group policy relating to RA so far I reviewed are
for Windows XP or Windows 2003, but I might have missed something. So, I
will look into it again.

> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message

>>> No, I am NOT talking about "Help and Support". What I am asking about is
>>> "Windows Remote Assistance" short-cut which is in "Maintenance" folder
>>> among the start up programs folders. If I click this short-cut then
>>> there displayed are two options, one of which is "Offer to help
>>> someone". This is going to be unsolicited Remote Assistance offer.
>>>
>>> I used unsolicited Remote Assistance or "Offer Remote Assistance" from
>>> WLM but this option has been dropped from WLM with the latest version.
>>> So I would like to use unsolicited RA in an alternate way as above. I
>>> entered the global IP address of my friend's PC but connection never
>>> happened.

>> Well, I don't have a "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the
>> maintenance folder on my Vista Ultimate machine. I do have a "Help and
>> Support" short cut in that folder.
>>
>> Beyond that did you enable the two group policies, ie. Solicited and
>> Offer?
>>

> That is strange. Then, are you RUNing msra.exe which is buried deep in the
> system folder? I checked four other Vista Ultimate boxes and they all have
> "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the Maintenace folder.
>
> The reference about group policy relating to RA so far I reviewed are for
> Windows XP or Windows 2003, but I might have missed something. So, I will
> look into it again.

msra.exe is simply the Remote Assistance executable. You can go to "Start ->
Run" and type msra in the command window and Remote Assistance will start.
If you go to "Start -> Help and Support" and start RA there its the same GUI
that pops up.

The group policies are the same for Vista as they are for XP and W2K3.

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>>> "churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message

>>> Well, I don't have a "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the
>>> maintenance folder on my Vista Ultimate machine. I do have a "Help
>>> and Support" short cut in that folder.
>>>
>>> Beyond that did you enable the two group policies, ie. Solicited and
>>> Offer?
>>>

>> That is strange. Then, are you RUNing msra.exe which is buried deep
>> in the system folder? I checked four other Vista Ultimate boxes and
>> they all have "Windows Remote Assistance" short cut in the Maintenace
>> folder.
>>
>> The reference about group policy relating to RA so far I reviewed are
>> for Windows XP or Windows 2003, but I might have missed something. So,
>> I will look into it again.
>>

> msra.exe is simply the Remote Assistance executable. You can go to
> "Start -> Run" and type msra in the command window and Remote Assistance
> will start. If you go to "Start -> Help and Support" and start RA there
> its the same GUI that pops up.
>
> The group policies are the same for Vista as they are for XP and W2K3.

What I meant was that all Vista boxes I checked have "Windows Remote
Assistance" short cuts as default or the short cut were created
automatically when the Vista were installed.

I understand that the group policy need be properly set for both PCs
involved in RA. If this is the case then, unsolicited RA appears
impracticable since help recipient will unlikely be able to handle
setting group policy oneself. Maybe I should use older version of WLM
which does not require such group policy setting even for unsolicited RA.