Remote Assistance : Vista Premium to Vista Premium

NickT

Remote Assistance : Vista Premium to Vista Premium
There are so many issues being raised in this forum about problems with
Remote Assistance that I find it difficult to determine if my issue below has
been addressed so excuse if so. Would like assistance though.

From my Vista Premium based PC I provide my brother-in-law in US with remote
assitance as required on a) his XP based machines and b) his new Vista
premium based desktop. I have no problems providing remote support to his XP
based machine but cannot connect to his Vista Premium machine to do same. We
get as far as him providing a password for the session, I type it in and
remote assistance window appears. However his desktop does not appear in this
window and after a few seconds I get message that remote asistance could not
be established as other end had closed it down which is not true.

Funnily enough we did get a session going a couple of times earlier on but
never since.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Assistance : Vista Premium to Vista Premium
"NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There are so many issues being raised in this forum about problems with
> Remote Assistance that I find it difficult to determine if my issue below
> has
> been addressed so excuse if so. Would like assistance though.
>
> From my Vista Premium based PC I provide my brother-in-law in US with
> remote
> assitance as required on a) his XP based machines and b) his new Vista
> premium based desktop. I have no problems providing remote support to his
> XP
> based machine but cannot connect to his Vista Premium machine to do same.
> We
> get as far as him providing a password for the session, I type it in and
> remote assistance window appears. However his desktop does not appear in
> this
> window and after a few seconds I get message that remote asistance could
> not
> be established as other end had closed it down which is not true.
>
> Funnily enough we did get a session going a couple of times earlier on but
> never since.

Never ran into that issue, probably because I have only tested RA in a very
limited area, ie. between two Vista boxes on my home LAN. With that said if
you can't get it working you might look at TeamViewer as an alternative. Its
free for personal use and works very well IMHO.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I use TeamViewer to support a sister-in-law who was running Vista Home Basic
over a 56K dial line. It was faster than RA in my experience.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...