Network Discovery

ang

Network Discovery
Hi, i bought a pc that came with vista ultimate installed on it(private
person).. when i connect to the internet to update it i get an nforce
controller error.. when i click on the icon for networks it does not show me
the network at all. i go into control panel , network.... and see that
network discovery is off. i set to on and press apply. 2 seconds later it
goes back to off!!! how can i resolve this?
Malke

Re: Network Discovery
ang wrote:
> Hi, i bought a pc that came with vista ultimate installed on it(private
> person).. when i connect to the internet to update it i get an nforce
> controller error.. when i click on the icon for networks it does not show me
> the network at all. i go into control panel , network.... and see that
> network discovery is off. i set to on and press apply. 2 seconds later it
> goes back to off!!! how can i resolve this?

It sounds as though you need the drivers for your ethernet card and
probably the motherboard (chipset), too. Since you reference an NForce
controller, I surmise the ethernet is on the motherboard. If this is an
OEM machine (HP, Dell, etc.) go to their tech support website for your
specific model machine and download the drivers. If this is a
generic-built machine, go to the motherboard mftr.'s website for the
chipset and ethernet drivers. Obviously you'll need to do this from a
computer that has a working Internet connection and save the drivers to
a USB thumbdrive or burn to CD-R. Or perhaps you received driver CDs
with the machine; if so, use those.

If you have a generic computer and didn't get any driver CDs, you can
use these free system inventory programs to identify your hardware:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
ang

Re: Network Discovery
Hi Malke
thank yo for your assistance ,i will try this today...the adapter is on the
board, MSI P6N sli is my main board and the pc is custom build.i have went to
the manf.site downloded the drivers but my pc still says there is no adapter,
i acnt even put on network discovery!!
Thanks

Ang

"Malke" wrote:

> ang wrote:
> > Hi, i bought a pc that came with vista ultimate installed on it(private
> > person).. when i connect to the internet to update it i get an nforce
> > controller error.. when i click on the icon for networks it does not show me
> > the network at all. i go into control panel , network.... and see that
> > network discovery is off. i set to on and press apply. 2 seconds later it
> > goes back to off!!! how can i resolve this?

> It sounds as though you need the drivers for your ethernet card and
> probably the motherboard (chipset), too. Since you reference an NForce
> controller, I surmise the ethernet is on the motherboard. If this is an
> OEM machine (HP, Dell, etc.) go to their tech support website for your
> specific model machine and download the drivers. If this is a
> generic-built machine, go to the motherboard mftr.'s website for the
> chipset and ethernet drivers. Obviously you'll need to do this from a
> computer that has a working Internet connection and save the drivers to
> a USB thumbdrive or burn to CD-R. Or perhaps you received driver CDs
> with the machine; if so, use those.
>
> If you have a generic computer and didn't get any driver CDs, you can
> use these free system inventory programs to identify your hardware:
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
> http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Network Discovery
ang wrote:
> Hi Malke
> thank yo for your assistance ,i will try this today...the adapter is on the
> board, MSI P6N sli is my main board and the pc is custom build.i have went to
> the manf.site downloded the drivers but my pc still says there is no adapter,
> i acnt even put on network discovery!!
> Thanks

This means that either you have got the wrong drivers, the network
adapter is disabled in the BIOS, or there is a physical hardware fault.
There is no way for me to guess which it is. You obviously can't have a
network without a network adapter so you need to either solve the
problem with the ethernet on your motherboard or throw in a
Vista-compatible PCI NIC. NICs cost under $20 so that is a cheap workaround.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
ang

Re: Network Discovery
good morning,
thank you for that ..i will have a look at the bios settings...
Ang