Vista/XP Networking Problem

SlmJon

Vista/XP Networking Problem
I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no problems.
Now everything is haywire and I’ve probably added to the problem by trying
to fix it. I’m, at best, a novice & don’t really know what I’m doing when it
comes to all this.
Here’s what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server Wireless-G
WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesn’t see the Vista. Neither
one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP shows
the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network nor
are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown device
(WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
soooooo much!

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista/XP Networking Problem

Permission settings are also in the above link

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"SlmJon" wrote:

> I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
> avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no problems.
> Now everything is haywire and I’ve probably added to the problem by trying
> to fix it. I’m, at best, a novice & don’t really know what I’m doing when it
> comes to all this.
> Here’s what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
> Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
> L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server Wireless-G
> WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
> Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesn’t see the Vista. Neither
> one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP shows
> the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network nor
> are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown device
> (WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
> If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
> please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
> soooooo much!

Fred

Re: Vista/XP Networking Problem
Make sure the "file and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" check box is
checked on the Vista and XP computers. Find LAN and right chick on
properties. Make sure all check boxes are checked and that you have TCP/IP
installed. Had exactly the same problem with exactly the same setup as you.
Fred

> Permission settings are also in the above link
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista's Public Folder is the same as XP's
> Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP's Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "SlmJon" wrote:
>
>> I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
>> avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no
>> problems.
>> Now everything is haywire and I've probably added to the problem by
>> trying
>> to fix it. I'm, at best, a novice & don't really know what I'm doing
>> when it
>> comes to all this.
>> Here's what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
>> Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
>> L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server
>> Wireless-G
>> WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
>> Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesn't see the Vista.
>> Neither
>> one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP
>> shows
>> the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network
>> nor
>> are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown
>> device
>> (WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
>> If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
>> please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
>> soooooo much!

SlmJon

RE: Vista/XP Networking Problem
Hi & thanks so much for responding. I checked everything you mentioned and
it's all what it should be. I had already printed out the article you said
and gone through it but didn't see anything I had messed up. This is so
frustrating! At this point, although I need the two machines networked, I
really NEED to be able to print from the Vista machine using the print
server. Any more ideas!!????

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permission settings are also in the above link
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "SlmJon" wrote:
>
> > I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
> > avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no problems.
> > Now everything is haywire and I’ve probably added to the problem by trying
> > to fix it. I’m, at best, a novice & don’t really know what I’m doing when it
> > comes to all this.
> > Here’s what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
> > Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
> > L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server Wireless-G
> > WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
> > Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesn’t see the Vista. Neither
> > one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP shows
> > the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network nor
> > are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown device
> > (WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
> > If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
> > please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
> > soooooo much!

SlmJon

Re: Vista/XP Networking Problem
Hi Fred,

Where to I find LAN & do you mean on the XP or Vista machine?

"Fred" wrote:

> Make sure the "file and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" check box is
> checked on the Vista and XP computers. Find LAN and right chick on
> properties. Make sure all check boxes are checked and that you have TCP/IP
> installed. Had exactly the same problem with exactly the same setup as you.
> Fred
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> > Permission settings are also in the above link
> >
> > 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> > is
> > the SAME.
> >
> > In Vista Network and Sharing:
> >
> > Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
> >
> > Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
> >
> > File Sharing: ON
> >
> > Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista's Public Folder is the same as XP's
> > Shared
> > Docs)
> >
> > Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> > passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> > asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> > from an XP computer.
> >
> > Also, run the XP's Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
> >

> > "SlmJon" wrote:
> >
> >> I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
> >> avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no
> >> problems.
> >> Now everything is haywire and I've probably added to the problem by
> >> trying
> >> to fix it. I'm, at best, a novice & don't really know what I'm doing
> >> when it
> >> comes to all this.
> >> Here's what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
> >> Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
> >> L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server
> >> Wireless-G
> >> WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
> >> Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesn't see the Vista.
> >> Neither
> >> one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP
> >> shows
> >> the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network
> >> nor
> >> are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown
> >> device
> >> (WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
> >> If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
> >> please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
> >> soooooo much!

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista/XP Networking Problem
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:07:02 -0800, SlmJon <SlmJon@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Mick Murphy" wrote:

>> "SlmJon" wrote:
>>
>> > I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop that I have tried to network to no
>> > avail. This XP was networked with an IBM laptop & a desktop with no problems.
>> > Now everything is haywire and Ive probably added to the problem by trying
>> > to fix it. Im, at best, a novice & dont really know what Im doing when it
>> > comes to all this.
>> > Heres what I have (none of it works right). Dell Inspiron 8600, WinXP
>> > Home; Dell Inspiron 1520, Vista Home Premium (32 Bit), HP OfficeJet Pro
>> > L7580, Linksys Router Wireless-G WRT54G-V3, Linksys Print Server Wireless-G
>> > WPSM54G. Both machines can get on the internet through the network. The
>> > Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesnt see the Vista. Neither
>> > one can print without being hardwired. (The Linksys Advisor on the XP shows
>> > the print server & the Vista machine but neither are shown in the network nor
>> > are they accessible. The Vista advisor shows the XP and an unknown device
>> > (WITH THE PRINT SERVER MODEL #)).
>> > If there is ANYONE out there that can make sense out of this mess I have,
>> > please help me fix this. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you
>> > soooooo much!

>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>
>> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
>> Permission settings are also in the above link
>>
>> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
>> the SAME.
>>
>> In Vista Network and Sharing:
>>
>> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
>>
>> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
>>
>> File Sharing: ON
>>
>> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vistas Public Folder is the same as XPs Shared
>> Docs)
>>
>> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
>> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
>> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
>> from an XP computer.
>>
>> Also, run the XPs Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.

>Hi & thanks so much for responding. I checked everything you mentioned and
>it's all what it should be. I had already printed out the article you said
>and gone through it but didn't see anything I had messed up. This is so
>frustrating! At this point, although I need the two machines networked, I
>really NEED to be able to print from the Vista machine using the print
>server. Any more ideas!!????

Start with
"The Vista machine can access the XP but the XP doesnt see the Vista."

This is a browser problem (not Internet Explorer), generally caused by a
personal firewall or other security program misconfigured.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

There are additional issues which Windows Vista has, all of which aren't
discussed by the oft referenced Microsoft document.

You can frequently diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and Note how to run the command window as admin,
in Vista!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT