Vista strikes again!

iacy

Vista strikes again!
After more effort than it is worth I finally got Vista to recognize the XP
computers on my home network.
I just tried to add a new wireless XP notebook: they do not see each other
but they see the other, all XP, computers on the network.
You gotta love this stuff: I can not imagine how Microsoft does it.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista strikes again!
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:05:53 -0800, "iacy" <fac@hotmail.com> wrote:

>After more effort than it is worth I finally got Vista to recognize the XP
>computers on my home network.
>I just tried to add a new wireless XP notebook: they do not see each other
>but they see the other, all XP, computers on the network.
>You gotta love this stuff: I can not imagine how Microsoft does it.

This is generally caused by a personal firewall problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

There are various issues unique to Windows Vista though.

You can frequently look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from
each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download browstat, and note how to
run the command window as admin, in Vista!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista strikes again!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"iacy" wrote:

> After more effort than it is worth I finally got Vista to recognize the XP
> computers on my home network.
> I just tried to add a new wireless XP notebook: they do not see each other
> but they see the other, all XP, computers on the network.
> You gotta love this stuff: I can not imagine how Microsoft does it.

adam

RE: Vista strikes again!
After 6 hrs of reading I still cannot find an answer to why all of the sudden
my Network (which was working fine) no longer works.

I have two laptops that were networked fine for over a month. One is an XP
SP2, and the other Vista fully updated as of today. Like I said, they were
networked fine, and I didn't have to do anything. I just brought home the new
Vista laptop, plugged it in, and it networked and shared files perfectly. I'm
assuming that I downloaded some updates recently that destroyed the ability
of my computers to see each other.

I can ping both machines, but even though file sharing is set up exactly the
way it was before, I can no longer view the other machines shared folers.
I downloaded the LLTD for the xp machine, didn't work.
I upgraded my routers firmware, didn't help.
Of course I've always had the godless windows firewall turned OFF. Network
discovery: on,
Network set to private,
File sharing: on,
Public folder sharing: on,
Password protection: off.
I've run XP's home network wizard like 50 times.
Both machines are set to workgroup name: Workgroup.
I cannot access either machine through Run > \\XPCOMPUTERNAME (etc). Both
machines are set to Netbios over TCP/IP, no help.

I've read about 5 or 6 hours worth of posts, comments and articles online to
no avail. I tried to run the Group Policy Manager but Add/Remove Snap-In
doesn't list it so I don't know how to even run it!

Any last ditch ideas? Do I need to post my whole ipconfig /all ? (If so,
then none of this is worth it in the long run. What if it happens again
during my next set of updates?)

I'm throwing my hands up. I'm going to have to purchase a crossover cable
and go oldschool. Either way, I'm sick and tired of windows. If I wasn't
given this windows laptop from my work I would be using a Mac.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:23:01 -0800, adam <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

>Password protection: off.
>I've run XP's home network wizard like 50 times.
>Both machines are set to workgroup name: Workgroup.
>I cannot access either machine through Run > \\XPCOMPUTERNAME (etc). Both
>machines are set to Netbios over TCP/IP, no help.
>
>I've read about 5 or 6 hours worth of posts, comments and articles online to
>no avail. I tried to run the Group Policy Manager but Add/Remove Snap-In
>doesn't list it so I don't know how to even run it!
>
>Any last ditch ideas? Do I need to post my whole ipconfig /all ? (If so,
>then none of this is worth it in the long run. What if it happens again
>during my next set of updates?)
>
>I'm throwing my hands up. I'm going to have to purchase a crossover cable
>and go oldschool. Either way, I'm sick and tired of windows. If I wasn't
>given this windows laptop from my work I would be using a Mac.

Adam,

The many articles that you've been reading are for self help, but self help
isn't 100% effective. Occasionally, you can provide diagnostic logs, and one of
the helpers here will spot an anomaly that will lead to a diagnosis, even when
self help isn't effective.

As long as you take all diagnostic logs at the same time, we can look for
anomalies, and find the problems. Just don't make any changes after taking the
logs. You can do updates after things are working.

--
Cheers,