Sharing folders between two Vista computers

Kelly

Sharing folders between two Vista computers
I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Vista Home Premium; I want to be
able to sync them using a sync program, but I'm running into this error:
"Error copying to destination file: Access is denied. (5)".

- Both computers are in the same workgroup (MSHOME)
- Both computers have "Private network" enabled
- Both computers have Network Discover, File sharing, Public folder file
sharing and printer sharing enabled
- Laptop is running Norton Internet Security 2008 & desktop is running PC
Tools Spyware Doctor
- Both computers have Windows Firewall disabled

Whenever I try to run the sync program (GoodSync - http://www.goodsync.com),
it can never copy files from the desktop to the laptop. I've spent hours
trying to get this to work and just can't figure it out. I can't even seem
to manually copy and paste files from my desktop to the laptop.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Sharing folders between two Vista computers
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:51:02 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Vista Home Premium; I want to be
>able to sync them using a sync program, but I'm running into this error:
>"Error copying to destination file: Access is denied. (5)".
>
> - Both computers are in the same workgroup (MSHOME)
> - Both computers have "Private network" enabled
> - Both computers have Network Discover, File sharing, Public folder file
>sharing and printer sharing enabled
> - Laptop is running Norton Internet Security 2008 & desktop is running PC
>Tools Spyware Doctor
> - Both computers have Windows Firewall disabled
>
>Whenever I try to run the sync program (GoodSync - http://www.goodsync.com),
>it can never copy files from the desktop to the laptop. I've spent hours
>trying to get this to work and just can't figure it out. I can't even seem
>to manually copy and paste files from my desktop to the laptop.
>
>Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!

If the problem involves copying to the laptop, and the laptop is running Norton
Internet Security, that's probably the problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

Though there are various issues relevant to Vista, that could be part of the
problem.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Kelly

Re: Sharing folders between two Vista computers
Hi Chuck -

Thanks for your quick reply! For some reason the Notification option
isn't working otherwise I would have replied quicker as well.

I looked at that blog post, but it doesn't give too much detail on what to
check/disable in Norton Internet Security 2007. I added the IP address of
the desktop to the Trusted list, but it didn't help. I also tried to disable
the Personal Firewall and Intrusion Blocker.

Any thoughts?

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:27:05 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:51:02 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Vista Home Premium; I want to be
>> >able to sync them using a sync program, but I'm running into this error:
>> >"Error copying to destination file: Access is denied. (5)".
>> >
>> > - Both computers are in the same workgroup (MSHOME)
>> > - Both computers have "Private network" enabled
>> > - Both computers have Network Discover, File sharing, Public folder file
>> >sharing and printer sharing enabled
>> > - Laptop is running Norton Internet Security 2008 & desktop is running PC
>> >Tools Spyware Doctor
>> > - Both computers have Windows Firewall disabled
>> >
>> >Whenever I try to run the sync program (GoodSync - http://www.goodsync.com),
>> >it can never copy files from the desktop to the laptop. I've spent hours
>> >trying to get this to work and just can't figure it out. I can't even seem
>> >to manually copy and paste files from my desktop to the laptop.
>> >
>> >Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!

>> If the problem involves copying to the laptop, and the laptop is running Norton
>> Internet Security, that's probably the problem.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>>
>> Though there are various issues relevant to Vista, that could be part of the
>> problem.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>Hi Chuck -
>
>Thanks for your quick reply! For some reason the Notification option
>isn't working otherwise I would have replied quicker as well.
>
>I looked at that blog post, but it doesn't give too much detail on what to
>check/disable in Norton Internet Security 2007. I added the IP address of
>the desktop to the Trusted list, but it didn't help. I also tried to disable
>the Personal Firewall and Intrusion Blocker.
>
>Any thoughts?

What's the status of Password Protected Sharing? What accounts are activated
for network access, on the laptop?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

What is the complete path to the target folder, where you're trying to copy the
files? Are you certain the account used has access to the folder in question?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...orisation.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Kelly

Re: Sharing folders between two Vista computers
Hi Chuck

Password protected sharing - on both computers (desktop and laptop),
password protected sharing is disabled. Also on both computers, I have an
account called "Kelly (not password protected) and the Guest account enabled.

Here are the paths I want to copy files from desktop to laptop:

C:\Users\Kelly\Documents\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data
\\KELLY-LAPTOP\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data

On both computers, I've enabled sharing for the "Everyone" account for the
Fluid Website Design folder, so by inheritance, the Accounting Data folder
should be shared also.

I might be missing something on Norton Internet Security (laptop) - I read
your blog posts but it didn't go into much detail for that program. Do you
have any ideas there?

Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate your help!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:02:00 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:27:05 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Hi Chuck -
>> >
>> >Thanks for your quick reply! For some reason the Notification option
>> >isn't working otherwise I would have replied quicker as well.
>> >
>> >I looked at that blog post, but it doesn't give too much detail on what to
>> >check/disable in Norton Internet Security 2007. I added the IP address of
>> >the desktop to the Trusted list, but it didn't help. I also tried to disable
>> >the Personal Firewall and Intrusion Blocker.
>> >
>> >Any thoughts?

>> What's the status of Password Protected Sharing? What accounts are activated
>> for network access, on the laptop?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html
>>
>> What is the complete path to the target folder, where you're trying to copy the
>> files? Are you certain the account used has access to the folder in question?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...orisation.html

>Hi Chuck
>
>Password protected sharing - on both computers (desktop and laptop),
>password protected sharing is disabled. Also on both computers, I have an
>account called "Kelly (not password protected) and the Guest account enabled.
>
>Here are the paths I want to copy files from desktop to laptop:
>
>C:\Users\Kelly\Documents\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data
>\\KELLY-LAPTOP\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data
>
>On both computers, I've enabled sharing for the "Everyone" account for the
>Fluid Website Design folder, so by inheritance, the Accounting Data folder
>should be shared also.
>
>I might be missing something on Norton Internet Security (laptop) - I read
>your blog posts but it didn't go into much detail for that program. Do you
>have any ideas there?
>
>Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate your help!

NIS shouldn't have a lot of settings. The personal firewall should trust, by IP
address, another computer. That's the lower level network. What you call
"Intrusion Blocker" I suspect is the antiworm component, again you open that by
IP address, to allow file sharing.

But I see a better problem to work on. You disabled PPS, and activated Guest.
That's good. But, Guest is limited access, and has no access to
"C:\Users\Kelly\ ...".

You say that you enabled Public folder file sharing. If you want to run with
PPS disabled, and Guest access activated, put the shared files in the Public
folders.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Kelly

Re: Sharing folders between two Vista computers
Hi Chuck

Guess what...I figured it out!! When I share a folder, I need to go into
"Advanced Sharing" and enable Full Rights for "Everyone". I think the
problem is solved!

Thanks again for your help!

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:48:03 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:02:00 -0800, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Hi Chuck
>> >
>> >Password protected sharing - on both computers (desktop and laptop),
>> >password protected sharing is disabled. Also on both computers, I have an
>> >account called "Kelly (not password protected) and the Guest account enabled.
>> >
>> >Here are the paths I want to copy files from desktop to laptop:
>> >
>> >C:\Users\Kelly\Documents\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data
>> >\\KELLY-LAPTOP\Fluid Website Design\Accounting Data
>> >
>> >On both computers, I've enabled sharing for the "Everyone" account for the
>> >Fluid Website Design folder, so by inheritance, the Accounting Data folder
>> >should be shared also.
>> >
>> >I might be missing something on Norton Internet Security (laptop) - I read
>> >your blog posts but it didn't go into much detail for that program. Do you
>> >have any ideas there?
>> >
>> >Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate your help!

>> NIS shouldn't have a lot of settings. The personal firewall should trust, by IP
>> address, another computer. That's the lower level network. What you call
>> "Intrusion Blocker" I suspect is the antiworm component, again you open that by
>> IP address, to allow file sharing.
>>
>> But I see a better problem to work on. You disabled PPS, and activated Guest.
>> That's good. But, Guest is limited access, and has no access to
>> "C:\Users\Kelly\ ...".
>>
>> You say that you enabled Public folder file sharing. If you want to run with
>> PPS disabled, and Guest access activated, put the shared files in the Public
>> folders.

>Hi Chuck
>
>Guess what...I figured it out!! When I share a folder, I need to go into
>"Advanced Sharing" and enable Full Rights for "Everyone". I think the
>problem is solved!
>
>Thanks again for your help!

That's great, Kelly! Thanks for letting us know!! B-)

--
Cheers,