Networking stops working

Richard Moss

Networking stops working
I have been running Vista on a new machine i bought for several weeks now and
just this evening i started having problems with my network adapter. I get
disconnected from Messenger, cant access web pages, but torrent clients
looses conections. Vista machine is hard wired to a linksys gb switch.

On further investigation, my xp wireless client works just fine, it can see
my NAS, access the Internet etc, however it cannot see my Vista machine
(cannot ping or browse to it) - My wireless AP connects to the same switch as
the Vista machine. I cannot ping my default gateway from my Vista machine
although this is working fine from the XP laptop, nor can i ping the NAS,
same switch as both the access point and Vista machine.

Conclusion is that the network is operating fine, problems are isolated to
the Vista machine. Rebooting Vista fixes the problem. Tried disabling and
re-enabling the NIC but this just hangs up explorer and requires a restart of
explorer and then a reboot of machine. NIC is set to not allow the OS to
power it down for power management. Also Power management is set to high
performance.

NIC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gig card. Driver is 10.22.3.9 OS is
Vista home Premium.

I see one problem in the event log stating that the max number of TCP
connections has been reached "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed
on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts." followed by a broswer
election (looks like there is a bug there also since the event log entry says
"bowser") - Could this be the reason i have to reboot??

Hope my explanation is detailed enough for someone to provide me with some
help on this.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking stops working
Do you receive Event ID 4226? This post may help.

Event ID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2456

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net