Copying file from XP to Vista computer

William

Copying file from XP to Vista computer
I have 3 computers on a home network. 2 are XP and one is Vista. I have
figured out how to access other computers on the network. But I am having
trouble accessing an Excel file which is on an XP computer, from my Vista
computer.

I have tried to do 2 things. From the Vista computer, I opened Excel,
selected "Open File," went through the network and found the file in My
Documents on the old XP computer. When I selected the file to be opened and
tried to open it, the computer told me that I needed permission from the file
owner or administrator.
I also tried to copy the file through the network, and then paste it into my
documents folder on Vista computer, but a similar message showed up. How can
I fix this? Thanks!!!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Copying file from XP to Vista computer
You may need to take over the ownership. This how to may help,

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership4.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"William" <William@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 computers on a home network. 2 are XP and one is Vista. I have
> figured out how to access other computers on the network. But I am having
> trouble accessing an Excel file which is on an XP computer, from my Vista
> computer.
>
> I have tried to do 2 things. From the Vista computer, I opened Excel,
> selected "Open File," went through the network and found the file in My
> Documents on the old XP computer. When I selected the file to be opened
> and
> tried to open it, the computer told me that I needed permission from the
> file
> owner or administrator.
> I also tried to copy the file through the network, and then paste it into
> my
> documents folder on Vista computer, but a similar message showed up. How
> can
> I fix this? Thanks!!!

Mick Murphy

RE: Copying file from XP to Vista computer
You have to run the XP Home Network Wizard for file and printer sharing on
ALL XP comps, as you have included a NEW one, vista.