Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server

DavidFilmer

Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Greetings. I have a laptop with Vista connected to my home network
via a wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v8). I have a hardware Ethernet
print server (a Trendnet TE100-PU/A: http://www.trendnet.com/products/TE100-P1U.htm),
connected to the router (LAN port #1, which shows link light) and I
have a USB printer (an HP PhotoSmart 8250) connected to the print
server.

Although I can browse and see the printer in Vista, I cannot actually
connect. I get the error message:
Windows cannot connect to printer.
Make sure you have typed the name
correctly, and printer is connected to
the network
(and all that is OK, of course). I get the same result if I manually
enter the \\server\printer (either by name or IP address).

For the heck of it, I tried mapping it to a LPT port:
net use lpt2 \\192.168.1.100\U1 /persistent:yes
and was told that Vista could not complete the operation; error code
was 0x00000057.

I CAN ping the print server from the laptop. The laptop has Mcafee
installed but it is completely disabled during my efforts.

I have connected the printer directly to the laptop (which works
fine). I have installed the latest Vista drivers from HP's website.
All of this is fairly new gear with ordinary (default) connection and
configuration.

Can anyone give me any idea why I'm having this problem? This should
be so simple!!!!

Thanks!!!

--
David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
HansG

RE: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Hello David,

I have(had) similar problems with a 3Com WLAN print server as well as with a
Windos ME sharing a DeskJet.
There was no problem connecting to these printers from XP but Vista refused.
I asume it is hidden somewhere in the security settings, so I first set back
LMcompatibility to 0 and deactivated some SMB stuff (I compared XP and Vista
local principles).
However this did not help.
I then connected the printer directly(USB) to my Vista as you have done. I
put the printer back on the printserver and added a new port (TCP/IP) to my
new local printer and pointing it to the server in the same way as on the XP.
That worked!

Whether this will work for I don't know but perhaps it's worth a try.
I have tried the same thing with the ME-printer, but no success so far.

Regards
Hans G

"DavidFilmer" wrote:

> Greetings. I have a laptop with Vista connected to my home network
> via a wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v8). I have a hardware Ethernet
> print server (a Trendnet TE100-PU/A: http://www.trendnet.com/products/TE100-P1U.htm),
> connected to the router (LAN port #1, which shows link light) and I
> have a USB printer (an HP PhotoSmart 8250) connected to the print
> server.
>
> Although I can browse and see the printer in Vista, I cannot actually
> connect. I get the error message:
> Windows cannot connect to printer.
> Make sure you have typed the name
> correctly, and printer is connected to
> the network
> (and all that is OK, of course). I get the same result if I manually
> enter the \\server\printer (either by name or IP address).
>
> For the heck of it, I tried mapping it to a LPT port:
> net use lpt2 \\192.168.1.100\U1 /persistent:yes
> and was told that Vista could not complete the operation; error code
> was 0x00000057.
>
> I CAN ping the print server from the laptop. The laptop has Mcafee
> installed but it is completely disabled during my efforts.
>
> I have connected the printer directly to the laptop (which works
> fine). I have installed the latest Vista drivers from HP's website.
> All of this is fairly new gear with ordinary (default) connection and
> configuration.
>
> Can anyone give me any idea why I'm having this problem? This should
> be so simple!!!!
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> --
> David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Hans,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We had a lot posts like this
one. Set local port first and re-map it as network sharing printer.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"HansG" <HansG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello David,
>
> I have(had) similar problems with a 3Com WLAN print server as well as with
> Windos ME sharing a DeskJet.
> There was no problem connecting to these printers from XP but Vista
> refused.
> I asume it is hidden somewhere in the security settings, so I first set
> back
> LMcompatibility to 0 and deactivated some SMB stuff (I compared XP and
> Vista
> local principles).
> However this did not help.
> I then connected the printer directly(USB) to my Vista as you have done. I
> put the printer back on the printserver and added a new port (TCP/IP) to
> my
> new local printer and pointing it to the server in the same way as on the
> XP.
> That worked!
>
> Whether this will work for I don't know but perhaps it's worth a try.
> I have tried the same thing with the ME-printer, but no success so far.
>
> Regards
> Hans G
>
> "DavidFilmer" wrote:
>
>> Greetings. I have a laptop with Vista connected to my home network
>> via a wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v8). I have a hardware Ethernet
>> print server (a Trendnet TE100-PU/A:
>> http://www.trendnet.com/products/TE100-P1U.htm),
>> connected to the router (LAN port #1, which shows link light) and I
>> have a USB printer (an HP PhotoSmart 8250) connected to the print
>> server.
>>
>> Although I can browse and see the printer in Vista, I cannot actually
>> connect. I get the error message:
>> Windows cannot connect to printer.
>> Make sure you have typed the name
>> correctly, and printer is connected to
>> the network
>> (and all that is OK, of course). I get the same result if I manually
>> enter the \\server\printer (either by name or IP address).
>>
>> For the heck of it, I tried mapping it to a LPT port:
>> net use lpt2 \\192.168.1.100\U1 /persistent:yes
>> and was told that Vista could not complete the operation; error code
>> was 0x00000057.
>>
>> I CAN ping the print server from the laptop. The laptop has Mcafee
>> installed but it is completely disabled during my efforts.
>>
>> I have connected the printer directly to the laptop (which works
>> fine). I have installed the latest Vista drivers from HP's website.
>> All of this is fairly new gear with ordinary (default) connection and
>> configuration.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any idea why I'm having this problem? This should
>> be so simple!!!!
>>
>> Thanks!!!
>>
>> --
>> David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

HansG

Re: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Hello Robert,David

Meanwhile, I found out how to adress the printer on my Windows ME-PC if
this would be of interess to someone. After my first trials to connect
directly to the printer I have found that Vista had added a port
\\server\qeueu name with the description "Client side rendering". Adding a
new local printer using that port makes it work!

The question is why nothing has been written down on this matter. I have
only found an article "New networking feauters.." but this problem is not
mentioned. If you, Robert, can find this out, I would be obliged. It's just
for my own understanding on what has been done (e.g., what causes all these
error messages).

Regards
Hans G.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> correctly, and printer is connected to
> >> the network
> >> (and all that is OK, of course). I get the same result if I manually
> >> enter the \\server\printer (either by name or IP address).
> >>
> >> For the heck of it, I tried mapping it to a LPT port:
> >> net use lpt2 \\192.168.1.100\U1 /persistent:yes
> >> and was told that Vista could not complete the operation; error code
> >> was 0x00000057.
> >>
> >> I CAN ping the print server from the laptop. The laptop has Mcafee
> >> installed but it is completely disabled during my efforts.
> >>
> >> I have connected the printer directly to the laptop (which works
> >> fine). I have installed the latest Vista drivers from HP's website.
> >> All of this is fairly new gear with ordinary (default) connection and
> >> configuration.
> >>
> >> Can anyone give me any idea why I'm having this problem? This should

AndyW

Re: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Hey Robert

Could You explain in Detail how to do it? I am just starting with Windows
Vista and am not sure about english terms so far because I have the german
version.

Thx

Andy

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> >> correctly, and printer is connected to
> >> the network
> >> (and all that is OK, of course). I get the same result if I manually
> >> enter the \\server\printer (either by name or IP address).
> >>
> >> For the heck of it, I tried mapping it to a LPT port:
> >> net use lpt2 \\192.168.1.100\U1 /persistent:yes
> >> and was told that Vista could not complete the operation; error code
> >> was 0x00000057.
> >>
> >> I CAN ping the print server from the laptop. The laptop has Mcafee
> >> installed but it is completely disabled during my efforts.
> >>
> >> I have connected the printer directly to the laptop (which works
> >> fine). I have installed the latest Vista drivers from HP's website.
> >> All of this is fairly new gear with ordinary (default) connection and
> >> configuration.
> >>
> >> Can anyone give me any idea why I'm having this problem? This should

Dennis R

Re: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
I have similar print server problem. I have a trendnet print server and a HP
Photosmart printer. their are two desk top computer on the system. One
running XP and one running Vista. The XP computer connected with the
Trendnet connection wizard software, no problem. The Vista computer finds
the network, the printer and the port. But when I try to connet, I get the
message "Error on OpenSCmaster!5". I have mapped to the printer mannally,
but the result is that it shows the printer to be off line.

Any ideas to correct the OpenSCMaster!5 error? I have search the internet
for this error and apparently I am the only person who has ever received it!

"AndyW" wrote:

> Hey Robert
>
> Could You explain in Detail how to do it? I am just starting with Windows
> Vista and am not sure about english terms so far because I have the german
> version.
>
> Thx
>
> Andy
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Hans,
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We had a lot posts like this
> > one. Set local port first and re-map it as network sharing printer.
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >

> > "HansG" <HansG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello David,
> > >
> > > I have(had) similar problems with a 3Com WLAN print server as well as with
> > > Windos ME sharing a DeskJet.
> > > There was no problem connecting to these printers from XP but Vista
> > > refused.
> > > I asume it is hidden somewhere in the security settings, so I first set
> > > back
> > > LMcompatibility to 0 and deactivated some SMB stuff (I compared XP and
> > > Vista
> > > local principles).
> > > However this did not help.
> > > I then connected the printer directly(USB) to my Vista as you have done. I
> > > put the printer back on the printserver and added a new port (TCP/IP) to
> > > my
> > > new local printer and pointing it to the server in the same way as on the
> > > XP.
> > > That worked!
> > >
> > > Whether this will work for I don't know but perhaps it's worth a try.
> > > I have tried the same thing with the ME-printer, but no success so far.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Hans G

BERT

Re: Cannot connect Vista PC to hardware print server
Lot of people are having problem connecting a vista pc to a hardware
printer server. I just finished dealing with it today.

The printer I wanted to print to is a brother HL-5240 - It is
connected via usb to Trendnet TE100-P21 (hardware print server) with a
ip of 192.168.1.200 named printserver. The port where the brother
printer is connected is named Laser_brother.

All my windows XP computers print to this printer without any problem.

My first try :

On my VISTA PC browser,: THE WRONG WAY - Got Failed Result.

1- Clic Add Printer or I typed \\192.168.1.200 (shh not forward slash
please- it is a network device - so you can browse your network it you
don't want type the ip addres)

2- Clic Add Network Printer
3- Clic Laser_brother on printserver (my trendnet printerserver and
port name)
4- oh lala, You will receive the following message : " Windows cannot
connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name
correctly and that the printer is connected to network".
What wrong with this message, I did not even type the message, it came
from the print server and I know for fact that my printer is on and
working - all my xp computers are using it.
You can try any other methode and probably, it will failed.

here is the solution.

2ND TRY : THE SOLUTION - success

1- go to xp browser and type : \\printserver or \\192.168.1.200 i.e
network browse to your printserver device.

2- double clic on the printer you want to install - You will receive a
message stating that " windows cannot connect to the printer .....

3.- Close that stupid windows and now go back to the add printer
windows.

4- clic on add printer
5- add local printer
6- clic Use an existing port
7- Select \\192.168.1.200\laser_Brother (CLIENT RENDERING SIDE
PROVIDER)
8- ok and you are done - You can now print.

NOTE : YOU NEED TO CHOOSE CLIENT RENDERING SIDE PROVIDER - It is the
key of the problem.

Email me if you still hae problem