File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST

Fred

File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
I have a XP Pro desktop and a Vista Laptop networked together. I can share
files from the XP machine to the Vista Laptop without problem. I have to
set the Vista Laptop to file and Print sharing for MS networks check box and
install the three components ( client, etc.) every time I reboot the laptop
in order to be able to transfer files from the laptop to the XP desktop.
Transferring from the XP to the Vista Laptop is not affected by rebooting,
only transferring files from the Vista to the XP machine.

Followed MS article that Mick Murphy referred to in post of 12/5/2007.
Opened necessary ports on the D-link router, disabled Win firewall on both
machines. When the XP computer is shut down, the check box for"File and
Printer Sharing" becomes unchecked. I have had a Win98 computer and my XP
computer networked for 6 years with no problem. This Vista system is
becoming a real pain with all the security settings.

Question: How do I get the Vista machine to not uninstall i.e. uncheck the
box, "File and Print Sharing for MS Networks when it reboots or shuts down?

Malke

Re: File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
Fred wrote:

> Question: How do I get the Vista machine to not uninstall i.e. uncheck the
> box, "File and Print Sharing for MS Networks when it reboots or shuts down?

This is not normal behavior for Vista.

1. Have you set your network to Private? If not, please do this.
2. Do you have additional security software that is not allowing the
settings to stick? Examples are Norton, McAfee, Spybot, third-party
firewalls, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Fred

Re: File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
I have a D-Link router and I opened the ports as suggested in the MS
article. The network is set to private. There are no other firewalls
running with the exception of the build in router firewall. I use Cox cable
and there Authemium software for virus and adaware, only. There was never a
problem when I had my Win98 laptop on the network-about 6 years. The
problem only occurs on the Vista laptop which replaced the Win 98 laptop,
and not on the Win XP desktop. I can transfer from the XP to the Vista
computer, but not the converse, unless I reset the check box "file and
printer sharing for MS networks" in the Vista computer.

It seems to me that when I shut down the XP computer, the network connection
is severed and the Vista computer somehow resets "file and printer sharing"
to its default state of unchecked.

Rather perplexing problem?

Fred

Fred wrote:
> I have a D-Link router and I opened the ports as suggested in the MS
> article. The network is set to private. There are no other firewalls
> running with the exception of the build in router firewall. I use Cox cable
> and there Authemium software for virus and adaware, only.

Look in the Authentium software to see if it prevents changes to system
settings. Many antivirus/security programs do. Other than that, I don't
know. I'm sympathetic with how frustrated you are, but harping on
whether things worked with Win98 or not isn't productive. All I can tell
you is that I've set up plenty of mixed OS networks with Vista since it
came out a year ago, all of the settings stick the way I put them, I've
never had to open a port in a router, and usually setting up a network
takes about 5-8 minutes depending on the number of machines.

So you are doing something wrong or something you have installed is
interfering, but without being able to see your machines I'm not able to
guess what.

I'm sorry I was unable to help you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Fred

Re: File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
Thank you, Malke for your input. I have had these type of little
frustrating problems before with other programs, systems. With the updates
from the manufacturer and Windows update they eventually seem to just go
away. My current problem is merely an annoyance, since I know how to fix
it, and once fixed, everything works fine.

Thanks again.
Fred
> Fred wrote:
>> I have a D-Link router and I opened the ports as suggested in the MS
>> article. The network is set to private. There are no other firewalls
>> running with the exception of the build in router firewall. I use Cox
>> cable and there Authemium software for virus and adaware, only.

> Look in the Authentium software to see if it prevents changes to system
> settings. Many antivirus/security programs do. Other than that, I don't
> know. I'm sympathetic with how frustrated you are, but harping on whether
> things worked with Win98 or not isn't productive. All I can tell you is
> that I've set up plenty of mixed OS networks with Vista since it came out
> a year ago, all of the settings stick the way I put them, I've never had
> to open a port in a router, and usually setting up a network takes about
> 5-8 minutes depending on the number of machines.
>
> So you are doing something wrong or something you have installed is
> interfering, but without being able to see your machines I'm not able to
> guess what.
>
> I'm sorry I was unable to help you.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Carm

Re: File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
Fred, I was having this problem with both my brand new T61 laptops. Every
time I rebooted, the "file and printer sharing" box became unchecked. For
me, it turned out to be a firewall issue with Norton. I "trusted" the
computers through the Norton firewall, but I trusted them with "shared
access" (under properties of each trusted network). Through lots of trial
and error, I changed the access to "allow all network activity". This
totally solved my problem. Now I reboot and all is well. Hope this helps.
--
CW

"Fred" wrote:

> Thank you, Malke for your input. I have had these type of little
> frustrating problems before with other programs, systems. With the updates
> from the manufacturer and Windows update they eventually seem to just go
> away. My current problem is merely an annoyance, since I know how to fix
> it, and once fixed, everything works fine.
>
> Thanks again.
> Fred
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Fred wrote:
> >> I have a D-Link router and I opened the ports as suggested in the MS
> >> article. The network is set to private. There are no other firewalls
> >> running with the exception of the build in router firewall. I use Cox
> >> cable and there Authemium software for virus and adaware, only.

> > Look in the Authentium software to see if it prevents changes to system
> > settings. Many antivirus/security programs do. Other than that, I don't
> > know. I'm sympathetic with how frustrated you are, but harping on whether
> > things worked with Win98 or not isn't productive. All I can tell you is
> > that I've set up plenty of mixed OS networks with Vista since it came out
> > a year ago, all of the settings stick the way I put them, I've never had
> > to open a port in a router, and usually setting up a network takes about
> > 5-8 minutes depending on the number of machines.
> >
> > So you are doing something wrong or something you have installed is
> > interfering, but without being able to see your machines I'm not able to
> > guess what.
> >
> > I'm sorry I was unable to help you.
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File and Printer Sharing unintstalls after rebooting-REPOST
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net