Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's not

This is so annoying.....

Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's not
Well, this didn't seem like a huge problem until I needed to access my
network. All of a sudden, the little network center icon in the system tray
always shows a red "X", even though the Ethernet cable is always plugged in
and I have my wireless network connected. I can access the "connect to
wireless network" window, but it takes way too long to open. I can't access
the Network Sharing Center at all. It just stops midway through opening when
I try it. I can use the internet just fine but I can't see my home network. I
run a Windows Vista Ultimate laptop with 2GB of RAM. I really need help here
please.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's not
Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:BEFAAFFF-AA8C-4589-89A5-3EEB68D1E32D@microsoft.com...
> Well, this didn't seem like a huge problem until I needed to access my
> network. All of a sudden, the little network center icon in the system
> tray
> always shows a red "X", even though the Ethernet cable is always plugged
> in
> and I have my wireless network connected. I can access the "connect to
> wireless network" window, but it takes way too long to open. I can't
> access
> the Network Sharing Center at all. It just stops midway through opening
> when
> I try it. I can use the internet just fine but I can't see my home
> network. I
> run a Windows Vista Ultimate laptop with 2GB of RAM. I really need help
> here
> please.

This is so annoying.....

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
What do you mean "multihomed?" Like, do I use it at different homes? if
that's what it means, it generally stays in the same place - it's a
desktop-replacement category laptop and I don't have too much of a need to
move it. Please expand on what you need. Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:BEFAAFFF-AA8C-4589-89A5-3EEB68D1E32D@microsoft.com...
> > Well, this didn't seem like a huge problem until I needed to access my
> > network. All of a sudden, the little network center icon in the system
> > tray
> > always shows a red "X", even though the Ethernet cable is always plugged
> > in
> > and I have my wireless network connected. I can access the "connect to
> > wireless network" window, but it takes way too long to open. I can't
> > access
> > the Network Sharing Center at all. It just stops midway through opening
> > when
> > I try it. I can use the internet just fine but I can't see my home
> > network. I
> > run a Windows Vista Ultimate laptop with 2GB of RAM. I really need help
> > here
> > please.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
Multihomed computer means a computer with two NICs.

--

wrote in message news:08D1D74E-85F6-497E-BEAE-F859058CC1BB@microsoft.com...
> What do you mean "multihomed?" Like, do I use it at different homes? if
> that's what it means, it generally stays in the same place - it's a
> desktop-replacement category laptop and I don't have too much of a need to
> move it. Please expand on what you need. Thanks
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may
>> help.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > Well, this didn't seem like a huge problem until I needed to access my
>> > network. All of a sudden, the little network center icon in the system
>> > tray
>> > always shows a red "X", even though the Ethernet cable is always
>> > plugged
>> > in
>> > and I have my wireless network connected. I can access the "connect to
>> > wireless network" window, but it takes way too long to open. I can't
>> > access
>> > the Network Sharing Center at all. It just stops midway through opening
>> > when
>> > I try it. I can use the internet just fine but I can't see my home
>> > network. I
>> > run a Windows Vista Ultimate laptop with 2GB of RAM. I really need help
>> > here
>> > please.

This is so annoying.....

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
I have no idea. I'm not a big networking wiz

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Multihomed computer means a computer with two NICs.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:08D1D74E-85F6-497E-BEAE-F859058CC1BB@microsoft.com...
> > What do you mean "multihomed?" Like, do I use it at different homes? if
> > that's what it means, it generally stays in the same place - it's a
> > desktop-replacement category laptop and I don't have too much of a need to
> > move it. Please expand on what you need. Thanks
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all may
> >> help.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help. Go to Start, type cmd and
press enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt.
Post the ipconfig txt here.

--

wrote in message news:B9382A8D-C789-437A-95CA-33AF08DDC2BC@microsoft.com...
>I have no idea. I'm not a big networking wiz
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Multihomed computer means a computer with two NICs.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > What do you mean "multihomed?" Like, do I use it at different homes? if
>> > that's what it means, it generally stays in the same place - it's a
>> > desktop-replacement category laptop and I don't have too much of a need
>> > move it. Please expand on what you need. Thanks

This is so annoying.....

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
You want me to post my IP address on the internet?

wrote in message news:89787D6B-21AB-45FD-8897-909F9201C224@microsoft.com...
> You want me to post my IP address on the internet?

It won't allow people to hack you.

Tom Lake

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
Are you using private IP address?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:89787D6B-21AB-45FD-8897-909F9201C224@microsoft.com...
> You want me to post my IP address on the internet?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help. Go to Start, type cmd and
>> press enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt.
>> Post the ipconfig txt here.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> >I have no idea. I'm not a big networking wiz

This is so annoying.....

Re: Can use Internet - not network. says cable is unplugged - it's
Good question. like i told you, i'm not a network wiz