Networking computer with Visa with Windows98

Boots

Networking computer with Visa with Windows98
I recently added a computer with Windows Vista to my 4 port D-Link Ethernet
Router at home (not wireless). However, I can't see my two other computers
on the network which are running Windows98 and can't seem to share any files
with them. My two other computers are able to share files. I want to copy
files from my old computers running on Windows98 to the new one running Vista.

How canI solve this problem so my new computer can see the others on the
network?
--
Boots at Ottawa, Canada
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking computer with Visa with Windows98
Can you ping the Win98 computer? if yes, make sure you enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP. Or this link may help,

NetBIOS and WINSThey can be grouped as two categories: NetBIOS resolution
and Host name resolution. Clients connecting to resources on Microsoft
servers, typically through ...
www.chicagotech.net/netbios&wins.htm

Vista: Can't see other computersI have Windows Vista Home Premium with
NetBios enabled and my workgroup set to private. I can access my vista
machine using \\192.168.0.2, but not with my ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...44bcb6 90c87a

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Boots" <Boots@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently added a computer with Windows Vista to my 4 port D-Link Ethernet
> Router at home (not wireless). However, I can't see my two other
> computers
> on the network which are running Windows98 and can't seem to share any
> files
> with them. My two other computers are able to share files. I want to
> copy
> files from my old computers running on Windows98 to the new one running
> Vista.
>
> How canI solve this problem so my new computer can see the others on the
> network?
> --
> Boots at Ottawa, Canada

Boots

Re: Networking computer with Visa with Windows98
No I can't ping the Win98 computer. NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/\IP Tried
everything, but can't get the Vista computer to share folders with the others
on the network. Many should have bought a computer with Windows XP instead
of Vista!
--
Boots at Ottawa, Canada