Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

switching from wireless to wired networking does not work

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2007
dna86
 

Posts: n/a
switching from wireless to wired networking does not work
With XP, I could be working on wireless, then plug in an ethernet cable and
traffic instantly switches over to the faster wired network. With Vista, this
does not work. Plugging in a wired cable does not switch the traffic. I have
to disable the wireless connection and restart explorer. Is there a way to
get this to work? Is it a security issue?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: switching from wireless to wired networking does not work
You may need to modify the router metric. Posting the result of routing
table here my help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"dna86" <dna86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7AFAE03A-BC01-4607-930C-EF73E591B1CC@microsoft.com...
> With XP, I could be working on wireless, then plug in an ethernet cable
> and
> traffic instantly switches over to the faster wired network. With Vista,
> this
> does not work. Plugging in a wired cable does not switch the traffic. I
> have
> to disable the wireless connection and restart explorer. Is there a way to
> get this to work? Is it a security issue?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2007
dna86
 

Posts: n/a
Re: switching from wireless to wired networking does not work
The metric values for the two cards are the same. Here is a copy of the route
table:

IPv4 Route Table
================================================== =========================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.149 20
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.145 20
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
192.168.0.145 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
192.168.0.149 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
================================================== =========================

Is it possible to set something in the registry so the wired adapter gets a
lower metric?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may need to modify the router metric. Posting the result of routing
> table here my help.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "dna86" <dna86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:7AFAE03A-BC01-4607-930C-EF73E591B1CC@microsoft.com...
> > With XP, I could be working on wireless, then plug in an ethernet cable
> > and
> > traffic instantly switches over to the faster wired network. With Vista,
> > this
> > does not work. Plugging in a wired cable does not switch the traffic. I
> > have
> > to disable the wireless connection and restart explorer. Is there a way to
> > get this to work? Is it a security issue?

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: switching from wireless to wired networking does not work
This search result may help.

RoutingRoute command and examples Routing issue if the LAN and VPN are in
different subnets Routing order .... Network Destination Netmask Gateway
Interface Metric ...
www.chicagotech.net/routing.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"dna86" <dna86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E8D50328-1213-4F66-9CA9-1DA23D8CC825@microsoft.com...
> The metric values for the two cards are the same. Here is a copy of the
> route
> table:
>
> IPv4 Route Table
> ================================================== =========================
> Active Routes:
> Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
> Metric
> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.149 20
> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.145 20
> 127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
> 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
> 127.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
> 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
> 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
> 192.168.0.145 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
> 192.168.0.149 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
> 192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
> 192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
> 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
> 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
> 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
> 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
> 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.149 276
> 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.145 276
> ================================================== =========================
>
> Is it possible to set something in the registry so the wired adapter gets
> a
> lower metric?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You may need to modify the router metric. Posting the result of routing
>> table here my help.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "dna86" <dna86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:7AFAE03A-BC01-4607-930C-EF73E591B1CC@microsoft.com...
>> > With XP, I could be working on wireless, then plug in an ethernet cable
>> > and
>> > traffic instantly switches over to the faster wired network. With
>> > Vista,
>> > this
>> > does not work. Plugging in a wired cable does not switch the traffic. I
>> > have
>> > to disable the wireless connection and restart explorer. Is there a way
>> > to
>> > get this to work? Is it a security issue?

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works chalmers microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 33 04-24-2008 17:01
Wireless/Wired networking? thecadillacboy microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 11-21-2007 20:33
Networking wireless and wired without router bwchaos microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 10-03-2007 10:37
Xbox 360 and Vista MC networking wired/wireless JonkyB microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 06-16-2007 03:54
Problems switching wireless and wired network connections =?Utf-8?B?U2VtaW5vbGVQaGls?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 04-06-2007 19:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120