Vista Ultimate networking problems with Windows 2003

Brian Kitt

Vista Ultimate networking problems with Windows 2003
I am running a Windows 2003 network. I have no problems with Windows XP
computers, they have been running fine for years with no issue.
Today I put a Vista Ultimate computer on for the first time. The computer
is joined to my domain, and I sign on as (domain) Administrator. I try to
copy .exe files from the network to the Vista machine, but I always get the
same error:
'There is a problem accessing '\\domain\d$'. Yes, I am connected with an
administrative file share. Nothing shows up in the log, and no helpful
information. I have no idea why Vista won't copy the file. It appears (so
far) to be limited to exe files. I can copy other files without an issue.
Since I am signed on with domain administrator, I should have full access.
Just to be safe, I signed on to the server, and made sure the file was marked
'read' for 'everyone'. There is no obvious reason why this is failing.

I copied the file to an XP desktop, then successfully copied it from that
desktop to the Vista machine. So I can get the files to the Vista machine in
that manner. I am connected via hard line, not wireless.

Any ideas where I can go to troubleshoot this?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Ultimate networking problems with Windows 2003
It may be some things to do with UAC. For a teat, disable UAC. Can you copy
them now?

How to disable UAC in VistaHow to disable UAC in Vista. As this post
mentioned, Some program don’t run on Vista. The resolution is disable the
UAC. To disable UAC, please follow these ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/disableuac.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Brian Kitt" <BrianKitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news417A5D0-DBBF-41E2-8C88-D02452F68D92@microsoft.com...
>I am running a Windows 2003 network. I have no problems with Windows XP
> computers, they have been running fine for years with no issue.
> Today I put a Vista Ultimate computer on for the first time. The computer
> is joined to my domain, and I sign on as (domain) Administrator. I try to
> copy .exe files from the network to the Vista machine, but I always get
> the
> same error:
> 'There is a problem accessing '\\domain\d$'. Yes, I am connected with an
> administrative file share. Nothing shows up in the log, and no helpful
> information. I have no idea why Vista won't copy the file. It appears
> (so
> far) to be limited to exe files. I can copy other files without an issue.
> Since I am signed on with domain administrator, I should have full access.
> Just to be safe, I signed on to the server, and made sure the file was
> marked
> 'read' for 'everyone'. There is no obvious reason why this is failing.
>
> I copied the file to an XP desktop, then successfully copied it from that
> desktop to the Vista machine. So I can get the files to the Vista machine
> in
> that manner. I am connected via hard line, not wireless.
>

> Any ideas where I can go to troubleshoot this?

Brian Kitt

Re: Vista Ultimate networking problems with Windows 2003
That did the trick! Thanks!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It may be some things to do with UAC. For a teat, disable UAC. Can you copy
> them now?
>
> How to disable UAC in VistaHow to disable UAC in Vista. As this post
> mentioned, Some program don’t run on Vista. The resolution is disable the
> UAC. To disable UAC, please follow these ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/disableuac.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Brian Kitt" <BrianKitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news417A5D0-DBBF-41E2-8C88-D02452F68D92@microsoft.com...
> >I am running a Windows 2003 network. I have no problems with Windows XP
> > computers, they have been running fine for years with no issue.
> > Today I put a Vista Ultimate computer on for the first time. The computer
> > is joined to my domain, and I sign on as (domain) Administrator. I try to
> > copy .exe files from the network to the Vista machine, but I always get
> > the
> > same error:
> > 'There is a problem accessing '\\domain\d$'. Yes, I am connected with an
> > administrative file share. Nothing shows up in the log, and no helpful
> > information. I have no idea why Vista won't copy the file. It appears
> > (so
> > far) to be limited to exe files. I can copy other files without an issue.
> > Since I am signed on with domain administrator, I should have full access.
> > Just to be safe, I signed on to the server, and made sure the file was
> > marked
> > 'read' for 'everyone'. There is no obvious reason why this is failing.
> >
> > I copied the file to an XP desktop, then successfully copied it from that
> > desktop to the Vista machine. So I can get the files to the Vista machine
> > in
> > that manner. I am connected via hard line, not wireless.
> >

> > Any ideas where I can go to troubleshoot this?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Ultimate networking problems with Windows 2003
Thank you for the update.