Problem in sharing printer

onh1986

Problem in sharing printer
Hello
I have 2 computers (Vista Home Premium & XP SP2) connected by LAN.
The printer is connected to XP SP2 system.
In Vista, when I open Network folder, go to XP computer name, click connect
in the printer icon (hpdeskje), then click Install Driver, I got this error
message:
Windows cannot connect to printer.
The spcified printer monitor is unknown.

P.S.
My printer is HP Deskjet 3600.
I don't face problems in sharing folders between both computers, but just in
printer sharing.

What's wrong?
Malke

Re: Problem in sharing printer
onh1986 wrote:
> Hello
> I have 2 computers (Vista Home Premium & XP SP2) connected by LAN.
> The printer is connected to XP SP2 system.
> In Vista, when I open Network folder, go to XP computer name, click connect
> in the printer icon (hpdeskje), then click Install Driver, I got this error
> message:
> Windows cannot connect to printer.
> The spcified printer monitor is unknown.
>
> P.S.
> My printer is HP Deskjet 3600.
> I don't face problems in sharing folders between both computers, but just in
> printer sharing.
>
> What's wrong?

Presumably you've already shared out the printer from XP. You need to
get Vista drivers for the printer from HP's website and then install
them on your Vista computer. The printer should be seen during the
installation routine. If it isn't, use the Add Printer Wizard after
installing the drivers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Penicillin

Re: Problem in sharing printer
Hi
HP company told me that Vista contains your HP printer driver, so no need to
download.
If they're right, so Vista should install its driver automatically.
So where's the wrong?
Thanks

Penicillin wrote:
> Hi
> HP company told me that Vista contains your HP printer driver, so no need to
> download.
> If they're right, so Vista should install its driver automatically.
> So where's the wrong?
> Thanks
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>> Presumably you've already shared out the printer from XP. You need to
>> get Vista drivers for the printer from HP's website and then install
>> them on your Vista computer. The printer should be seen during the
>> installation routine. If it isn't, use the Add Printer Wizard after
>> installing the drivers.

You don't want to install the driver from the XP machine. If the drivers
are included in Vista, then use Vista's Add Printer Wizard and select
"Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer". You'll be prompted to
select the make/model for the Vista drivers. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, provide that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Penicillin

Re: Problem in sharing printer
I talked to HP company, and they told what to do.
Now it's working fine.
Thanks

Penicillin wrote:
> I talked to HP company, and they told what to do.
> Now it's working fine.
> Thanks

Glad to hear it. Care to share the solution so that others reading the
archived thread will be helped also?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Penicillin

Re: Problem in sharing printer
The solution:

If the computers are able to communicate then follow the steps provided
below to share the printer.

Please follow the below steps to share the printer in the network:

Windows XP:
Please follow the below steps from the computer to which the printer is
connected directly.
Click Start >Right-click on My Computer (Host Computer).
Select Properties.
Here you can find the 'Computer name' tab.
Note this Full Computer Name here.

After the steps are done, follow the below steps from the same computer to
which the printer is connected:

1. Click Start, Control Panel, then Printers and Faxes.
2. Right-click your HP Deskjet 3650 Series printer icon, then select the
Sharing option from the list.
3. Click on Sharing tab and enter a share name such as, HPDJ.
4. Click on OK.

The printer is now shared as HPDJ.

Steps to be performed to share the printer from the client Windows Vista
computer:
Go to Control Panel. Choose Printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex: \\mycomputer\HPDJ

Click Next.

Under the Manufacturers list, select HP.

Under the Printers list, select the HP Deskjet 3600 Series printer and click
Next.

Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes"
and click Next.

When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.

Now try printing and check the results.