Unable to view computers on the network

tallguy2u

Unable to view computers on the network
I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network, and
after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on my
network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no longer view
any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network drives
no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
Can you ping the other computer?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"tallguy2u" <tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network, and
> after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on my
> network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no longer
> view
> any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network
> drives
> no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
> previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?

tallguy2u

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
yes, I can ping anything on the network.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you ping the other computer?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "tallguy2u" <tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network, and
> > after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on my
> > network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no longer
> > view
> > any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network
> > drives
> > no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
> > previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:09:00 -0800, tallguy2u
<tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network, and
>after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on my
>network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no longer view
>any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network drives
>no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
>previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?

A visibility problem is generally a master browser conflict, frequently caused
by a personal firewall or other security component.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

What's the complete and precise error message or condition when "previously
mapped network drives no longer connect"?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

You could diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from your new computer
and 1 or 2 others. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (Download browstat, and observe how to run as admin when
starting a command window!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
If net view \\remotecomputername receives system 53, it may be computer
browser issue. If it is system error 5, it is permission issue. You may
check any errors in the Event Viewer. Or these troubleshooting may help,

Computer Browser
The computer browser is to display a directory of all known computers
or domains that the computer can reach. The purpose of the browser service
is to ...
www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm - Similar pages

Troubleshooting computer browsing issues
The Computer Browser service on local computer started and stopped ·
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: This
operation ...
www.chicagotech.net/computerbrowsingissues.htm

System ErrorsSystem error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied
conflict with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the
user has not been granted ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--

> yes, I can ping anything on the network.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you ping the other computer?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "tallguy2u" <tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network,
>> > and
>> > after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on
>> > my
>> > network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no
>> > longer
>> > view
>> > any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network
>> > drives
>> > no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
>> > previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?

DK

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
I have experienced the same issue. Tried every trick in the book. Removed
Antivirus software, turned off firewall turned on File and printer sharing,
machine is a member of a workgroup, NETBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled to no
avail. Still unable to see any other Workgroup machines on the network much
less network shares on those machines.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:50:02 -0800, DK <DK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:09:00 -0800, tallguy2u
>> <tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm setting up my second Vista Business client on a business network, and
>> >after enableing netbios over TCP I was able to view other computers on my
>> >network, and map a network drive. Suddenly 5 days later I can no longer view
>> >any other computers on the LAN or WAN, and previously mapped network drives
>> >no longer connect. Despite repeated attempts, I can't get back to my
>> >previous functionality. Anyone have any ideas?

>> A visibility problem is generally a master browser conflict, frequently caused
>> by a personal firewall or other security component.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> What's the complete and precise error message or condition when "previously
>> mapped network drives no longer connect"?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html
>>
>> You could diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
>> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from your new computer
>> and 1 or 2 others. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
>> instructions precisely (Download browstat, and observe how to run as admin when
>> starting a command window!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>I have experienced the same issue. Tried every trick in the book. Removed
>Antivirus software, turned off firewall turned on File and printer sharing,
>machine is a member of a workgroup, NETBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled to no
>avail. Still unable to see any other Workgroup machines on the network much
>less network shares on those machines.

I don't see any threads with your name on them, just this one. How about you
start a new thread, so we can help you better. Please.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Hijacking>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...html#Hijacking

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Paul Knudsen

wrote:

>I have experienced the same issue. Tried every trick in the book. Removed
>Antivirus software, turned off firewall turned on File and printer sharing,
>machine is a member of a workgroup, NETBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled to no
>avail. Still unable to see any other Workgroup machines on the network much
>less network shares on those machines.

Try Network Magic. Worked for me. You get a free trial.
nwnomad

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
I have exactly this same issue. Net view receives system error 5 and all
error messages point to a permission issue, but this worked five days ago and
it works on my old Windows XP computer (this is a two-week old computer
running Vista).

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If net view \\remotecomputername receives system 53, it may be computer
> browser issue. If it is system error 5, it is permission issue. You may
> check any errors in the Event Viewer. Or these troubleshooting may help,
>
> Computer Browser
> The computer browser is to display a directory of all known computers
> or domains that the computer can reach. The purpose of the browser service
> is to ...
> www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm - Similar pages
>
> Troubleshooting computer browsing issues
> The Computer Browser service on local computer started and stopped ·
> The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: This
> operation ...
> www.chicagotech.net/computerbrowsingissues.htm
>

> System ErrorsSystem error 1219 has occurred - The credentials supplied
> conflict with an ... System error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the
> user has not been granted ...
> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "tallguy2u" <tallguy2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes, I can ping anything on the network.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you ping the other computer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to view computers on the network
Do a simple test. Can you ping the remote computer by IP?