Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Access is denied" - Vista to XP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2007
drewby doo
 

Posts: n/a
Access is denied" - Vista to XP
hey guys, this one's got me. i have 1 xp pro machine, and 1 vista. xp can
access shares on vista, but i get "access is denied" when trying to access xp
shares from vista. neither machine has a firewall running (turned off for
fault isolation), both machines can ping each other by IP and name, both are
using the same workgroup name, and the XP machine has shares enabled with
everyone having read access. i'm using classic sharing on XP and password
protected shares on vista, and have an account with the same l/p on both
machines. funny thing is, when i get the error, it's before it even asks for
credentials. wacky.

i've scoured these topics, and have tried many steps listed for issues
similar to mine, but have not gotten any love. any help's appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access is denied" - Vista to XP
You didn't mentioned the permission in the Security tab. I would double
check it. or this link may help,

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
permission using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"drewby doo" <drewbydoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E1FF5747-9315-4AF6-9C49-2788B8FD17FA@microsoft.com...
> hey guys, this one's got me. i have 1 xp pro machine, and 1 vista. xp can
> access shares on vista, but i get "access is denied" when trying to access
> xp
> shares from vista. neither machine has a firewall running (turned off for
> fault isolation), both machines can ping each other by IP and name, both
> are
> using the same workgroup name, and the XP machine has shares enabled with
> everyone having read access. i'm using classic sharing on XP and password
> protected shares on vista, and have an account with the same l/p on both
> machines. funny thing is, when i get the error, it's before it even asks
> for
> credentials. wacky.
>
> i've scoured these topics, and have tried many steps listed for issues
> similar to mine, but have not gotten any love. any help's appreciated,
> thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2007
drewby doo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access is denied" - Vista to XP
i guess i jumped the gun after all. i stumbled across another article, which
referenced http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm as a guide to isolating network
issues. in my case, "restrict anonymous" was enabled in the registry -
disablding took care of my issue. which still begs the question...if i'm
using classic sharing, why would restricting anonymous connections be an
issue? oh well, hope this helps others.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You didn't mentioned the permission in the Security tab. I would double
> check it. or this link may help,
>
> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
> to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
> permission using this command: . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "drewby doo" <drewbydoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E1FF5747-9315-4AF6-9C49-2788B8FD17FA@microsoft.com...
> > hey guys, this one's got me. i have 1 xp pro machine, and 1 vista. xp can
> > access shares on vista, but i get "access is denied" when trying to access
> > xp
> > shares from vista. neither machine has a firewall running (turned off for
> > fault isolation), both machines can ping each other by IP and name, both
> > are
> > using the same workgroup name, and the XP machine has shares enabled with
> > everyone having read access. i'm using classic sharing on XP and password
> > protected shares on vista, and have an account with the same l/p on both
> > machines. funny thing is, when i get the error, it's before it even asks
> > for
> > credentials. wacky.
> >
> > i've scoured these topics, and have tried many steps listed for issues
> > similar to mine, but have not gotten any love. any help's appreciated,
> > thanks.

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2007
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access is denied" - Vista to XP
Thank you for the update.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"drewby doo" <drewbydoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F7508D4C-DB70-418B-A0AC-138E6A70CD30@microsoft.com...
>i guess i jumped the gun after all. i stumbled across another article,
>which
> referenced http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm as a guide to isolating network
> issues. in my case, "restrict anonymous" was enabled in the registry -
> disablding took care of my issue. which still begs the question...if i'm
> using classic sharing, why would restricting anonymous connections be an
> issue? oh well, hope this helps others.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You didn't mentioned the permission in the Security tab. I would double
>> check it. or this link may help,
>>
>> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
>> connecting
>> to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
>> permission using this command: . ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "drewby doo" <drewbydoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E1FF5747-9315-4AF6-9C49-2788B8FD17FA@microsoft.com...
>> > hey guys, this one's got me. i have 1 xp pro machine, and 1 vista. xp
>> > can
>> > access shares on vista, but i get "access is denied" when trying to
>> > access
>> > xp
>> > shares from vista. neither machine has a firewall running (turned off
>> > for
>> > fault isolation), both machines can ping each other by IP and name,
>> > both
>> > are
>> > using the same workgroup name, and the XP machine has shares enabled
>> > with
>> > everyone having read access. i'm using classic sharing on XP and
>> > password
>> > protected shares on vista, and have an account with the same l/p on
>> > both
>> > machines. funny thing is, when i get the error, it's before it even
>> > asks
>> > for
>> > credentials. wacky.
>> >
>> > i've scoured these topics, and have tried many steps listed for issues
>> > similar to mine, but have not gotten any love. any help's appreciated,
>> > thanks.

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Network Sharing with Vista: "Access Denied" tnpir4000 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 12-09-2007 14:29
Article ID: 930128 Error message when you try to access the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders in Windows Vista: "Access is Denied" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 931716 Error message when you try to send a fax by using the "Set priority: High" option in Windows Vista: "This message could not be sent. Access is denied" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Vista "Access Is Denied" Trying to Access Network Share justin.richert@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 03-26-2007 13:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120