Backups over Network

Zach

Backups over Network
When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the destination
of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get
prompted for user ID and pswd and enter both (formatted user ID as
XPCOMPUTERNAME\USER ID). I get message back "No mapping between account
names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)". However, I have no problem
just copying files using Windows Explorer from the same Vista PC to the same
XP PC.

Any ideas ?
--
Zach
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Backups over Network
0x80070534 is security issue. Try administrator ID, for example,
XPCOMPUTERNAME\XPAdministrator. Or the following post may help. Please post
back with the result.

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=3969#3969

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the
> destination
> of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get
> prompted for user ID and pswd and enter both (formatted user ID as
> XPCOMPUTERNAME\USER ID). I get message back "No mapping between account
> names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)". However, I have no problem
> just copying files using Windows Explorer from the same Vista PC to the
> same
> XP PC.
>
> Any ideas ?
> --
> Zach

Zach

Re: Backups over Network
>>XPCOMPUTERNAME\XPAdministrator
The user ID I am using is an administrator ID.....my ID !

>>Or the following post may help. Please post back with the result.

This post implies that there is a pswd needed for the Guest account. By
definiton, a XP Guest account does not need a pswd so I don't know what the
note is suggesting. However, I tried it anyway with user ID:
XPCOMPUTERNAME\guest and used "guest" for pswd (did not know what else to
use), got following message:

"You need full control Permissions for the network share. Make the usert a
co-owner of the share, with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a
computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A)"

The XP PC runs XP Professional and I don't have WD NET-CENTER. Would
appreciate a follow-up....thx

--
Zach

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> 0x80070534 is security issue. Try administrator ID, for example,
> XPCOMPUTERNAME\XPAdministrator. Or the following post may help. Please post
> back with the result.
>
> No mapping between account names and security IDs was done
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=3969#3969
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the
> > destination
> > of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get
> > prompted for user ID and pswd and enter both (formatted user ID as
> > XPCOMPUTERNAME\USER ID). I get message back "No mapping between account
> > names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)". However, I have no problem
> > just copying files using Windows Explorer from the same Vista PC to the
> > same
> > XP PC.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> > --
> > Zach

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Backups over Network
This isn't an answer per se, but others have been hashing out this
problem with a varying degree of success... Take a look at some of
their solutions and see if any can help in your situation.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5327&SiteID=17

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:23:01 -0800, Zach
<Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>>XPCOMPUTERNAME\XPAdministrator

>The user ID I am using is an administrator ID.....my ID !
>
>>>Or the following post may help. Please post back with the result.

>This post implies that there is a pswd needed for the Guest account. By
>definiton, a XP Guest account does not need a pswd so I don't know what the
>note is suggesting. However, I tried it anyway with user ID:
>XPCOMPUTERNAME\guest and used "guest" for pswd (did not know what else to
>use), got following message:
>
>"You need full control Permissions for the network share. Make the usert a
>co-owner of the share, with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a
>computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A)"
>
>The XP PC runs XP Professional and I don't have WD NET-CENTER. Would
>appreciate a follow-up....thx

Zach

Re: Backups over Network
You're right, this is not an answer; it's a new job for me going through all
that !

What of curiosity, what do people typically do to be able to do backups to a
network resource if a person cannot dedicate time to solving Vista problems
......buy backup/restore software ? I would love to know.
--
Zach

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> This isn't an answer per se, but others have been hashing out this
> problem with a varying degree of success... Take a look at some of
> their solutions and see if any can help in your situation.
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5327&SiteID=17
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net

> >The user ID I am using is an administrator ID.....my ID !

> >This post implies that there is a pswd needed for the Guest account. By
> >definiton, a XP Guest account does not need a pswd so I don't know what the
> >note is suggesting. However, I tried it anyway with user ID:
> >XPCOMPUTERNAME\guest and used "guest" for pswd (did not know what else to
> >use), got following message:
> >
> >"You need full control Permissions for the network share. Make the usert a
> >co-owner of the share, with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a
> >computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A)"
> >
> >The XP PC runs XP Professional and I don't have WD NET-CENTER. Would
> >appreciate a follow-up....thx

Bob Willard

Re: Backups over Network
Zach wrote:
>>>XPCOMPUTERNAME\XPAdministrator

> The user ID I am using is an administrator ID.....my ID !
>

>>>Or the following post may help. Please post back with the result.

> This post implies that there is a pswd needed for the Guest account. By
> definiton, a XP Guest account does not need a pswd so I don't know what the
> note is suggesting. However, I tried it anyway with user ID:
> XPCOMPUTERNAME\guest and used "guest" for pswd (did not know what else to
> use), got following message:
>
> "You need full control Permissions for the network share. Make the usert a
> co-owner of the share, with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a
> computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A)"
>
> The XP PC runs XP Professional and I don't have WD NET-CENTER. Would
> appreciate a follow-up....thx

Vista won't backup to a XP HE PC, *or* (apparently) to a XP PRO PC which
uses simple file sharing.
--
Cheers, Bob
Zach

Re: Backups over Network
Bob,

Many thanks....this is the answer. It worked just fine when I unchecked
Simple File Sharing and set the sharing options to Full Control on the target
XP folder.....though I still had to enter a valid XP User Account Name and
pswd.
Be well.
--
Zach

"Bob Willard" wrote:

> > The user ID I am using is an administrator ID.....my ID !

> > This post implies that there is a pswd needed for the Guest account. By
> > definiton, a XP Guest account does not need a pswd so I don't know what the
> > note is suggesting. However, I tried it anyway with user ID:
> > XPCOMPUTERNAME\guest and used "guest" for pswd (did not know what else to
> > use), got following message:
> >
> > "You need full control Permissions for the network share. Make the usert a
> > co-owner of the share, with Full Control. The network share cannot be on a
> > computer running Windows XP Home (0x8100002A)"
> >
> > The XP PC runs XP Professional and I don't have WD NET-CENTER. Would
> > appreciate a follow-up....thx
> >

> Vista won't backup to a XP HE PC, *or* (apparently) to a XP PRO PC which
> uses simple file sharing.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Backups over Network
I don't use the backup software in Vista...

I have an external drive and have a robocopy script that backups all
changed files...

With that, I have a file-level mirror of my content...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:20:00 -0800, Zach
<Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You're right, this is not an answer; it's a new job for me going through all
>that !
>
>What of curiosity, what do people typically do to be able to do backups to a
>network resource if a person cannot dedicate time to solving Vista problems
>.....buy backup/restore software ? I would love to know.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Backups over Network
Also I posted that thread since many users there had the same issue
that you were describing and there were at least 10 different
workarounds that may or may not work, depending on your particular
configuration...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:20:00 -0800, Zach
<Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You're right, this is not an answer; it's a new job for me going through all
>that !
>
>What of curiosity, what do people typically do to be able to do backups to a
>network resource if a person cannot dedicate time to solving Vista problems
>.....buy backup/restore software ? I would love to know.

Zach

Re: Backups over Network
Jeff....I am guessing you have not seen my reply to Bob Willard further
down....the problem was Simple File Sharing....thanks again.
--
Zach