Manipulating Shared Drives in VISTA takes forever

Stephan G.

Manipulating Shared Drives in VISTA takes forever
Something must be wrong.

I am one of the (seemingly) many who are beating our heads against walls
trying to get XP and Vista to share drives. However, I have come up
against some very disturbing behavior on the VISTA system and don't have
the expertise to figure out if it is related.

I created a folder, call it "Silly" on the root directory of my C drive
on vista. So it should be called c:\silly in the local world. I then
right clicked on the folder, selected "properties" from the drop down.
The second tab is "Sharing". I select that tab, all is well. I now
share that directory using the appropriate button. I close everything
up, the folder icon looks like it is shared, and the VISTA machine shows
it when I select "Show me all shared stuff on this machine" from the
Network and Sharing page.

Now, while continuing to try to debug (with no success) why my Vista and
XP systems won't play nice, I go back to the properties of the folder
"Silly". Say I just want to look at the "Sharing" properties. I right
click on the folder icon, select "properties" from the drop down. All
three tab (other than "Sharing") seem to work fine, but if I select the
"Sharing" tab, the properties window goes into a kind of hibernation for
at least a minute. At first I thought explorer had just crashed... on
my brand new VISTA, and would terminate the process, but now I see if I
wait for a VERY long time, the share information does eventually
populate that window.

This extremely slow and long response to just even viewing the sharing
information on a folder that is shared seems like something is wrong,
and I wonder if there is a clue here to getting my file sharing network
working.

Any thoughts from the real experts?

-stephan
jeolmeun

Re: Manipulating Shared Drives in VISTA takes forever
I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
rename file sharing files normally.

I found this from another newsgroup post and I think they said some
OEMs turn this on or enable it while an installation of Vista OEM
would have Offline Files disabled.