Vista - My Network Places

Dan Scott

Vista - My Network Places
In XP there is My Network Places and I can click to get entire network, then
ms network, then work group and see all the computers on in my work group.

In Vista, I only see the Vista computer that I am on and no other computers.
I downloaded and installed the fix for XP for discovery, but no luck.
On the XP computer, I can see the vista computer, but get access denied when
trying to view the computers folders. There is a shared folder on the vista
computer
Vista home premium.
TIA
--
Dan
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista - My Network Places

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Dan Scott" wrote:

> In XP there is My Network Places and I can click to get entire network, then
> ms network, then work group and see all the computers on in my work group.
>
> In Vista, I only see the Vista computer that I am on and no other computers.
> I downloaded and installed the fix for XP for discovery, but no luck.
> On the XP computer, I can see the vista computer, but get access denied when
> trying to view the computers folders. There is a shared folder on the vista
> computer
> Vista home premium.
> TIA
> --
> Dan

em_CT

Re: Vista - My Network Places
Dan, I have the same problem, check if you NetBIOS is enabled. Mine is not
and that is why I have that problem. So far I have tried everything under
the sun, no luck.

I hope you are not in my boat.

"Dan Scott" <dscott2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> In XP there is My Network Places and I can click to get entire network,
> then
> ms network, then work group and see all the computers on in my work group.
>
> In Vista, I only see the Vista computer that I am on and no other
> computers.
> I downloaded and installed the fix for XP for discovery, but no luck.
> On the XP computer, I can see the vista computer, but get access denied
> when
> trying to view the computers folders. There is a shared folder on the
> vista
> computer
> Vista home premium.
> TIA
> --
> Dan

Dan Scott

RE: Vista - My Network Places
Thanks Mick, I will give it a go
--
Dan

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Dan Scott" wrote:
>
> > In XP there is My Network Places and I can click to get entire network, then
> > ms network, then work group and see all the computers on in my work group.
> >
> > In Vista, I only see the Vista computer that I am on and no other computers.
> > I downloaded and installed the fix for XP for discovery, but no luck.
> > On the XP computer, I can see the vista computer, but get access denied when
> > trying to view the computers folders. There is a shared folder on the vista
> > computer
> > Vista home premium.
> > TIA
> > --
> > Dan

Rick

Re: Vista - My Network Places
I have the same problem as well. If someone knows the answer it would be
greatly appreciated.