Startup Subst both normal and administrator

MartinDC

Startup Subst both normal and administrator
I have mapped a drive on my main Vista machine for all my documents
etc. N:.

With XP it was also possible to map to the local machine to make sure
that N: on all machines was the same. But with Vista "net use" does
not work locally so I have to use "subst". Trouble is that if I want
to subst the drive to both normal and administrator users, then I have
to subst twice. But how can I subst from the startup folder? (And
then for both levels.)

Martin
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Startup Subst both normal and administrator
[This followup was posted to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <32f57832-c873-46d4-891b-55b9974e7eb1
@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, martin@cleaver.nl says...
> I have mapped a drive on my main Vista machine for all my documents
> etc. N:.
>
> With XP it was also possible to map to the local machine to make sure
> that N: on all machines was the same. But with Vista "net use" does
> not work locally so I have to use "subst". Trouble is that if I want
> to subst the drive to both normal and administrator users, then I have
> to subst twice. But how can I subst from the startup folder? (And
> then for both levels.)

Huh? 'NET USE \\thiscomputer\share' does work with Vista. I currently
have an E: that is just a shared subdir of C: (done due to some old
program I copied from another computer). Make certain the Server service
is running, and that file sharing is enabled in Network settings. You
may also need to tweak firewall settings.

To use SUBST, you could create a simple text file containting the
command with a .CMD or .BAT extension, and put it under:
\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Program\Startup

To be safe, try making it look like this:
SUBST N: /D
SUBST N: c:\whatever\whatever

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
ultralame

Re: Startup Subst both normal and administrator

I want to do the same thing. I used to have a network drive mapped to
U:, but I have moved all that locally.

Some programs (one in particular, iTunes) don't do well if you move
their file paths around. So now I want to have a virtual u: mapped to a
location on C:.

I could use NET USE. However, 1) this means I now have to maintain
share permissions as well as local permissions (although this is not a
big deal) and 2) I am not sure if this is a waste of resources- is the
system now routing all this traffic through the network layer when it
doesn't have to?

So I want to use "subst". The problem on Vista/W7 is that this is a
per-user command, and it will not show up in the explorer unless it has
been run twice- as both the current user and as Administrator.

So the question becomes: How do you run the command (either in a batch
file or through some registry entry) as both the user and an
Administrator at login?

--
ultralame