Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP

il barbi

Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP
I can't connect wirelessly an Acer notebook with Vista Home Premium and a
Broadcom 802.11g board to a Dlink DI-524 router. After many negative tests
and changings of parameters I found the valuable MS news "Troubleshooting
wireless problems with Vista" and was able to start wireless diagnostics.
The report is:
"Connection failed to WLAN autoconfig service because driver has
disconnected in the association phase with access point" (I don't know if
the text is exactly so because I'm translating)
Moreover it says some tests have been performed, say:
- wireless board: ok (I knew because a peer-to-peer connection with another
PC is working)
- WLAN autoconfig service: test failed (anyway I see this service is
running)
From command prompt I run "netsh wlan show all" giving "Interface -
disconencted" and also Ipconfig says for the board "Status - disconnected".
This matches with router's statistics saying it has received 0 packets.
The hint for a solution is: check board settings with router's ones
ostazioni della scheda concordino con quelle
dell'access point (nel mio caso il router).
Now in the config utility of my router I see only: SSID, channel number and
security (I'm testing with no security just to avoid successive problems)
and of course I enabled DHCP
With respect to Broadcom board I see as many as 21 parameters ... I can't
understand all those radio stuff, I don't find any help in Broadcom's and
Acer's sites - I tried to change someone with no result.
I updated Broadcom driver (bcmwl6.sys) and router fw, I removed and re-added
the board, now I'm giving up:-(

il barbi

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP
Please post the text results of

ipconfig /all

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
il barbi

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Please post the text results of
>
> ipconfig /all

(perhaps the correct text is not so because I'm translating)
IP Configuration of Windows
Node type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
Routing IP enabled. . . . . . . . . : No
Proxy WINS enabled . . . . . . . . : No

LAN wireless board:
Device status. . . . . . . . . . . . : disconnected
DNS Suffix for connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom network board 802.11g
Physical address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7E-2C-C5-67
DHCP enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : yes
Authomatic configuration enabled: yes

Ethernet board for connection to LAN:
Device status. . . . . . . . . . . . : disconnected (I disconnect the
Ethernet cable when testing the wireless connection - there are 2 other PCs
connected to router by cable)
DNS Suffix for connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce network controller
Physical address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-55-30-6C
DHCP enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : yes
Authomatic configuration enabled: yes

Tunneling device for connection to LAN *:
Device status. . . . . . . . . . . . : disconnected
DNS Suffix for connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{E2C2091E-5119-4645-BB93-E9361B29FCF6}
Physical address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : no
Authomatic configuration enabled: yes

Tunneling device for connection to LAN *2:
Device status. . . . . . . . . . . . : disconnected
DNS Suffix for connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{ED5973AF-F337-492D-9BDD-9273F4F194FE}
Physical address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : no
Authomatic configuration enabled: yes
Predefined Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over TCP/IP . . . . . . . . . . : Deactivated

Tunneling device for connection to LAN *6:
Device status. . . . . . . . . . . . : disconnected (I think this is
because I disabled TCP/IP IPv6)
DNS Suffix for connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical address. . . . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : no
Authomatic configuration enabled: yes

Thanks for any suggestions

il barbi

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP

two things - do you have the latest firmware for the router?
are you broadcasting the SSID?

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:52:31 +0100, "il barbi"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
il barbi

> two things - do you have the latest firmware for the router?
> are you broadcasting the SSID?

ok I downloaded the last fw of Dlink DI-524, namely version 2.06 of May,7
2007
About broadcasting - I'm somewhat puzzled about that, now I see these
settings at router's side:
Channel 6
Security none (for now)
Beacon interval 100 msec
RTS threshold 2432
Fragmentation 2346
DTIM interval 3
Wireless mode: mixed mode (alternative "G mode")
TX rates Auto
SSID broadcast Enable
- and at Broadcom's side:
Roaming decision - optimize distance (other values: predefined - optimize
bandwidth)
MAC address locally managed - not present
PCLP BSS header (perhaps is it also called "Preamble type"?) - Auto (other
value: long)
AP compatibility mode - higher performance (other value: extended)
IBSS 54g mode - 54g auto (other values: 54g enhanced - 802.11b only)
IBSS 54g protection mode - auto (other value: disabled)
IBSS WZC channel - 6
Path - predefined (other value: USA)
Priority and VLAN - disabled (other values: each enabled/disabled)
Fragmentation threshold - 2346
RTS threshold - 2347
Roaming trend - moderate (other values: aggressive - conservative)
Speed - best (other values: 12 values from 1 to 54
VMM - auto (other values: enabled/disabled)
--------- there are some other settings that I don't think are relevant
It is possible that some settings don't match but I'm not so good at radio
terms
As for broadcasting, from the settings I think that the router is
broadcasting the wireless network - Now if you think of the well known
conflict problem with Vista (DhcpConnForceBcastFlag = 1) I have already
tried to disable it without result

il barbi

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP
on the router: change the channel to 1 or 11
set it to G only mode

are you using Windows to manage the wireless network or some
proprietary vendor supplied utility?

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:32:07 +0100, "il barbi"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
il barbi

> on the router: change the channel to 1 or 11
> set it to G only mode

no change

> are you using Windows to manage the wireless network or some
> proprietary vendor supplied utility?

I'm using WLAN autoconfig service, since there is no proprietary vendor
utility and the board is integrated in my Acer notebook. The Windows trace
says: "Wlan autoconfig service is not running because the service status has
been set to running by the user or the application " - Now actually I see
the process is running and has been set to authomatically started - I don't
understand at all...
As for the broadcast question, I noticed that among the properties of my
Wlan it appears "Radio frequency type: non broadcast"
Now do you know about some trace utility showing at low level what is
travelling on the wireless net? I understand this is a configuration
problem, yet I'm not able to set the correct matching...
il barbi

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP
do a factory reset on the router (which will wipe out all settings)
- usually there is a reset button or hole on the back, use a paper
clip while it is plugged in and wait for the lights to start
flashing and then stop flashing, then unplug it and plug it in a few
times. then go in and change the SSID to something like

wireless123

don't make ANY other changes.

can you connect or not?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 15:16:49 +0100, "il barbi"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
il barbi

> do a factory reset on the router (which will wipe out all settings)
> - usually there is a reset button or hole on the back, use a paper
> clip while it is plugged in and wait for the lights to start
> flashing and then stop flashing, then unplug it and plug it in a few
> times. then go in and change the SSID to something like
>
> wireless123
>
> don't make ANY other changes.
>
> can you connect or not?

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was already giving up since it's a month I'm trying...
now I had to invoke router's reset from a button in help text since hw reset
seemed not to work... I can't see what parameters have changed, apparently
only SSID default name (you won't ever guess it... "dlink"!)
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
il barbi

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless driver has disconnected in association with AP
Please go back and setup security. WPA2 if possible, otherwise WPA.

(and I'm glad you are up and running).

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:46:38 +0100, "il barbi"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP