Mac to PC connection problem

lb

Mac to PC connection problem
Here's my problem. I've got a recent Imac running OSX 10.4, an old PC running
XP and a new PC running Vista. They are all on a network in the same
workgroup. I can connect to either PC from the Mac. I can connect to the
Vista and Mac from the XP. But the Vista machine can only connect to the XP
not to the Mac. All machines show up on each other's network windows. When I
try to connect to the Mac from Vista, I get a login box. All my logins fail.
The exact same logins work from the XP!

A few more details. The network is thru a Linksys WRT54G router. The Mac and
XP machines are wired to the network. The Vista machine is normally wireless
but I've also tried it wired. Firewalls are turned off everywhere. The Mac
is set for Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing and Remote Login. Any
ideas.

LB.
Malke

Re: Mac to PC connection problem
lb wrote:
> Here's my problem. I've got a recent Imac running OSX 10.4, an old PC running
> XP and a new PC running Vista. They are all on a network in the same
> workgroup. I can connect to either PC from the Mac. I can connect to the
> Vista and Mac from the XP. But the Vista machine can only connect to the XP
> not to the Mac. All machines show up on each other's network windows. When I
> try to connect to the Mac from Vista, I get a login box. All my logins fail.
> The exact same logins work from the XP!
>
> A few more details. The network is thru a Linksys WRT54G router. The Mac and
> XP machines are wired to the network. The Vista machine is normally wireless
> but I've also tried it wired. Firewalls are turned off everywhere. The Mac
> is set for Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing and Remote Login. Any
> ideas.

I assume that you remembered to create user accounts/passwords on the
Mac that match the ones on Vista. If you forgot...

Also, some adjustment needs to be made when connecting to *nix systems
(like OS X) from Vista:

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if
negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
lb

Re: Mac to PC connection problem
Thank you, that was just what I needed. It was the NTLM setting.

lb wrote:
> Thank you, that was just what I needed. It was the NTLM setting.

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
hondas.are.cool

Malke;537835 Wrote:
> lb wrote:> > >
> > > Here's my problem. I've got a recent Imac running OSX 10.4, an old

> > PC running
> > > XP and a new PC running Vista. They are all on a network in the

> > same
> > > workgroup. I can connect to either PC from the Mac. I can connect

> > to the
> > > Vista and Mac from the XP. But the Vista machine can only connect to

> > the XP
> > > not to the Mac. All machines show up on each other's network

> > windows. When I
> > > try to connect to the Mac from Vista, I get a login box. All my

> > logins fail.
> > > The exact same logins work from the XP!
> > >
> > > A few more details. The network is thru a Linksys WRT54G router.

> > The Mac and
> > > XP machines are wired to the network. The Vista machine is normally

> > wireless
> > > but I've also tried it wired. Firewalls are turned off everywhere.

> > The Mac
> > > is set for Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing and Remote Login.

> > Any
> > > ideas. > > I assume that you remembered to create user accounts/passwords on the

> Mac that match the ones on Vista. If you forgot...
>
> Also, some adjustment needs to be made when connecting to *nix
> systems
> (like OS X) from Vista:
>
> To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File
> Sharing
> enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows
> Vista:
>
> Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]
>
> Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
>
> Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
> level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
> Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
> arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security
> if
> negotiated".
>
> In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve
> Winograd, do:
>
> 1. Run the registry editor and open this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
>
> 1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
> LmCompatibilityLevel
>
> 3. Set the value to 1
>
> 4. Reboot
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> 'www.elephantboycomputers.com' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com)
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

where do you do this
Start>Run>secpol.msc

hondas.are.cool wrote:

> where do you do this
> Start>Run>secpol.msc

If you don't have an entry for the Run command in your Start Menu (it isn't
there by default), you can do

Start Orb>Search box>type:secpol.msc

Secpol.msc will appear above in the results box. As I said in the post which
you quoted, you won't have secpol.msc if you have one of the Vista Home
versions and in that case you'll need to edit the registry manually.

Malke
--
MS-MVP