How do I kick vista to (re-)connect to an other system?

Michael Moser

How do I kick vista to (re-)connect to an other system?
I have two laptops, both offers shares. On one, say, "A" I defined a few
folders of "B" to be available offline.
Now I need to resynch those, but A claims, it is currently "not
connected" to B.

In the reverse direction, however, B currently DOES see A and I can e.g.
access A's shares. So, obviously, connectivity is there and works. So,
why don't things work in the reverse direction? How do I trigger A to
retry connect to B?

Michael

Chuck [MVP]

Re: How do I kick vista to (re-)connect to an other system?
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:02:07 +0100, "Michael Moser"
<michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote:

>I have two laptops, both offers shares. On one, say, "A" I defined a few
>folders of "B" to be available offline.
>Now I need to resynch those, but A claims, it is currently "not
>connected" to B.
>
>In the reverse direction, however, B currently DOES see A and I can e.g.
>access A's shares. So, obviously, connectivity is there and works. So,
>why don't things work in the reverse direction? How do I trigger A to
>retry connect to B?
>
>Michael

Michael,

When you discuss asymmetrical visibility, you're most frequently looking at a
personal firewall problem, or maybe a NetBT setting mismatch.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

With Windows Vista, there are a few special possible network problems.

You can probably analyse the problem, using logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and note running the command window as admin):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Michael Moser

Re: How do I kick vista to (re-)connect to an XP's share?
I read to (some, not all) of the material provided and tried misc.
things suggested (like e.g. installing the LLTP stuff on the XP system)
but noting worked.It is also not a firewall issue. Even diabling the
firewall completely didn't help...

In the end I did the good ol' "net use * /d" to delete all cached
credentials after which I was asked again for UID und PWD when trying to
access the share and when I re-entered my credentials (for the at least
50th time) things were up and running again.

This is getting on my nerves! Why do these crappy OSses not manage to
keep this up and working? Why do I have to fiddle with these settings
again and again and again??? :-(

Apparently things get somehow lost or corrupted or Vista picks wrong
credentials or whatever is going off-rails here. What I find most
annoying is that this beast doesn't even ask me again for my credentials
if things fail, but simply lies to me and declares the other machine as
not available...

Michael