Networking Two Vista PCs

Anthony Bollinger

Networking Two Vista PCs
I have two PCs connected through switches hooked to a router than were
networking fine under XP Pro. I have installed both with Vista Ultimate 64
and they can ping each other from the command line, but I cannot get either
computer to show up in the network using explorer so that I can share files,
etc. I have assigned both computers to the same workgroup name. I am
running Norton, but have entirely disabled it on both computers to allow any
and all connections to go through.

Anyone know what is the issue here?

Thanks!
Tony

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking Two Vista PCs
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:29:54 -0500, "Anthony Bollinger" <tonyb@noemail.noemail>
wrote:

>I have two PCs connected through switches hooked to a router than were
>networking fine under XP Pro. I have installed both with Vista Ultimate 64
>and they can ping each other from the command line, but I cannot get either
>computer to show up in the network using explorer so that I can share files,
>etc. I have assigned both computers to the same workgroup name. I am
>running Norton, but have entirely disabled it on both computers to allow any
>and all connections to go through.
>
>Anyone know what is the issue here?
>
>Thanks!
>Tony

Tony,

What Norton product do you have? Does it include an anti-worm component? The
switch to disable the firewall won't affect the anti-worm component, you have to
configure that properly.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

When you ran the Network and Sharing Center wizard, did you set the Network
Location Type to Private?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#VistaServer>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...ml#VistaServer

If you don't have an anti-worm / firewall problem, let's diagnose the problem,
using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
"net config workstation", from each computer. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download browstat, and not how to
run as admin when starting the command window!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking Two Vista PCs

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

asked for a username and password when you try to access

..

"Anthony Bollinger" wrote:

> I have two PCs connected through switches hooked to a router than were
> networking fine under XP Pro. I have installed both with Vista Ultimate 64
> and they can ping each other from the command line, but I cannot get either
> computer to show up in the network using explorer so that I can share files,
> etc. I have assigned both computers to the same workgroup name. I am
> running Norton, but have entirely disabled it on both computers to allow any
> and all connections to go through.
>
> Anyone know what is the issue here?
>
> Thanks!
> Tony

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Networking Two Vista PCs
In addition to Chuck's advice, make sure that you are on a private
network (under Network and Sharing Center). If it is Public or
Unidentified, Sharing will not work...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:29:54 -0500, "Anthony Bollinger"
<tonyb@noemail.noemail> wrote:

>I have two PCs connected through switches hooked to a router than were
>networking fine under XP Pro. I have installed both with Vista Ultimate 64
>and they can ping each other from the command line, but I cannot get either
>computer to show up in the network using explorer so that I can share files,
>etc. I have assigned both computers to the same workgroup name. I am
>running Norton, but have entirely disabled it on both computers to allow any
>and all connections to go through.
>
>Anyone know what is the issue here?
>
>Thanks!
>Tony

Anthony Bollinger

Re: Networking Two Vista PCs
Thanks for all the advice! Since I did not have to do anything with Norton
under XP, I assumed it this would be the case with Vista also (same version
of Norton), but I needed to add the IP address to the trusted list,
something I was not familiar with before Chuck's post.

I can see the computer and the shared public folder fine. Under XP I was
able to share the D-drive. I cannot find a way to do this in Vista. It
allows me to share folders on the D drive, but I don't want to share 50
folders, I just want to share the entire drive. How is this done?

Thanks!
Tony

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking Two Vista PCs
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:12:06 -0500, "Anthony Bollinger" <tonyb@noemail.noemail>
wrote:

>Thanks for all the advice! Since I did not have to do anything with Norton
>under XP, I assumed it this would be the case with Vista also (same version
>of Norton), but I needed to add the IP address to the trusted list,
>something I was not familiar with before Chuck's post.
>
>I can see the computer and the shared public folder fine. Under XP I was
>able to share the D-drive. I cannot find a way to do this in Vista. It
>allows me to share folders on the D drive, but I don't want to share 50
>folders, I just want to share the entire drive. How is this done?
>
>Thanks!
>Tony

Tony,

With Windows XP and previous versions, each disk drive had a default
("administrative") share. Windows Vista doesn't have this, by default, though
you can get it back with a registry setting change.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/windows-vista-and-administrative-shares.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ve-shares.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Anthony Bollinger

Re: Networking Two Vista PCs
I tried that. Not sure I totally understand. Does administrative share
mean automatic share? With or without the registry setting you mentioned,
the share button for the drive was disabled, but in either case I could
always share the drive using the advanced button, so I guess I don't know
what that registry entry did for me.

Thanks,
Tony

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:56:32 -0500, "Anthony Bollinger" <tonyb@noemail.noemail>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>news:kahrl39jne0r3qu8nnofp4mcbj8nbpbfde@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:12:06 -0500, "Anthony Bollinger"
>> <tonyb@noemail.noemail>
>> wrote:
>>
>> With Windows XP and previous versions, each disk drive had a default
>> ("administrative") share. Windows Vista doesn't have this, by default,
>> though
>> you can get it back with a registry setting change.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/windows-vista-and-administrative-shares.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ve-shares.html

>I tried that. Not sure I totally understand. Does administrative share
>mean automatic share? With or without the registry setting you mentioned,
>the share button for the drive was disabled, but in either case I could
>always share the drive using the advanced button, so I guess I don't know
>what that registry entry did for me.
>
>Thanks,
>Tony

Tony,

The share labeled "C$" is a hidden, administrative share. The browser doesn't
pick up shares ending in "$", and only administrative users can access it.
Under Windows XP and previous, whenever a new storage volume (disk drive or
whatever) was setup, this share was created automatically. Under Windows Vista,
it isn't, and you have to tweak the registry to get it to be available.

You can make your own share, if you wish. It's your choice. Some folks liked
using "C$", because it was always there. I like my own, non-$ names.

--
Cheers,