Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together

In-Fin-Ite

Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together
Okay here is the issue I am having.

I have a Vista Desktop and an XP Lap Top. I am running wireless and wired.
The desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. They both get internet
access great, but I can not get them to share with or really even "notice"
one another.

When I map all connections on Vista it shows the XP. Both are correctly
named "WorkGroup." File sharing is on for both. Network discovery is set to
on. I have attempted the IP address/subnet/default gateway changing so that
they match, however all that seems to do is knock out the internet and they
still don't "talk."

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do? All I want to do is to be able
to pull files from the Vista computer while I am working on editing software
on the laptop.

--
" The tragedy of life is what dies in the hearts and souls of people while
they live. "

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"In-Fin-Ite" wrote:

> Okay here is the issue I am having.
>
> I have a Vista Desktop and an XP Lap Top. I am running wireless and wired.
> The desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. They both get internet
> access great, but I can not get them to share with or really even "notice"
> one another.
>
> When I map all connections on Vista it shows the XP. Both are correctly
> named "WorkGroup." File sharing is on for both. Network discovery is set to
> on. I have attempted the IP address/subnet/default gateway changing so that
> they match, however all that seems to do is knock out the internet and they
> still don't "talk."
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I need to do? All I want to do is to be able
> to pull files from the Vista computer while I am working on editing software
> on the laptop.
>

> --
> " The tragedy of life is what dies in the hearts and souls of people while
> they live. "
> ~ Albert Einstein

Ozzie

RE: Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together
After many days of trying I finally got my networked computers to recognize
and talk to each other. I can now even print from any computer! I uninstalled
the antivirus software that came with my new Vista machine. You could
probably just go into the antivirus software and make some changes but it's
too late for me now. Good luck.

"In-Fin-Ite" wrote:

> Okay here is the issue I am having.
>
> I have a Vista Desktop and an XP Lap Top. I am running wireless and wired.
> The desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. They both get internet
> access great, but I can not get them to share with or really even "notice"
> one another.
>
> When I map all connections on Vista it shows the XP. Both are correctly
> named "WorkGroup." File sharing is on for both. Network discovery is set to
> on. I have attempted the IP address/subnet/default gateway changing so that
> they match, however all that seems to do is knock out the internet and they
> still don't "talk."
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I need to do? All I want to do is to be able
> to pull files from the Vista computer while I am working on editing software
> on the laptop.
>

> --
> " The tragedy of life is what dies in the hearts and souls of people while
> they live. "
> ~ Albert Einstein

admin@REMOVEvistatoolbox.com

Re: Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together

can you ping the machines?
have you allowed them through one or both firewalls

we need more information

--
VTB Carl
VTB Carl's Profile: http://www.vistatoolbox.com1

In-Fin-Ite

Re: Vista and XP Sharing Internet but do not connect together
I am not sure how to allow through the firewalls.

I can ping the vista from the xp, but when I try to ping the xp from the
vista it times out.