Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing domain b

John Colaizzi

Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing domain b
I work at home and we have 6 XP Pro, 1 Win 2000, 1 Vista Home Premium
computers in our home workgroup all plugged in to a hub that has a connection
to a dsl router. I work ona Win2003 server that is plugged into the same hub
but is inside our corporate domain over VPN tunnel. Everything except the
Vista machine works great however on our new Vista Home Premium laptop if I
turn
network discovery on I see all computers in our private home workgroup and all
computers in the corporate domain. This is a problem as there are 100+
machines in the domain and it takes a long time to for network to list all
the boxes.

I've tried opening Windows Explorer, double clicking on network, opening the
drop down box for workgroup and selecting the name of our home workgroup. It
stills looks at every one of the 100+ computers on the corporate domain and
shows then on left navigation tree but not in the list in the right window
pane which does show only the home machines. The next time I open Windows
Explorer the box for our local workgroup is once again unchecked and all the
domain machines show up again. This is making me crazy as we share a lot of
files on our home LAN.

Any one have suggestions?

Thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing domain b
Vista Home Premium is not made to be used in domains.
The same as XP home was not for domains either.

"John Colaizzi" wrote:

> I work at home and we have 6 XP Pro, 1 Win 2000, 1 Vista Home Premium
> computers in our home workgroup all plugged in to a hub that has a connection
> to a dsl router. I work ona Win2003 server that is plugged into the same hub
> but is inside our corporate domain over VPN tunnel. Everything except the
> Vista machine works great however on our new Vista Home Premium laptop if I
> turn
> network discovery on I see all computers in our private home workgroup and all
> computers in the corporate domain. This is a problem as there are 100+
> machines in the domain and it takes a long time to for network to list all
> the boxes.
>
> I've tried opening Windows Explorer, double clicking on network, opening the
> drop down box for workgroup and selecting the name of our home workgroup. It
> stills looks at every one of the 100+ computers on the corporate domain and
> shows then on left navigation tree but not in the list in the right window
> pane which does show only the home machines. The next time I open Windows
> Explorer the box for our local workgroup is once again unchecked and all the
> domain machines show up again. This is making me crazy as we share a lot of
> files on our home LAN.
>
> Any one have suggestions?
>
> Thanks

John Colaizzi

RE: Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing doma
Thanks Mick but I think you missed the point. I don't want to see the
corporate domain machines from the Vista machine. I only want to see the
local workgroup machines from the Vista machine. I can't find a way to not
see the corporate machines from the Vista machine. I use the Win 2003 server
to be inside the domain.

John

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Vista Home Premium is not made to be used in domains.
> The same as XP home was not for domains either.

anks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing domain b
Sounds like computer browser issue. If you don't want to see the remote
computers from the network, we need to disable computer browser from the
remote while keep local computer browser. Is it possible your VPN server
assigns WINS to the VPN client?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"John Colaizzi" <JohnColaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I work at home and we have 6 XP Pro, 1 Win 2000, 1 Vista Home Premium
> computers in our home workgroup all plugged in to a hub that has a
> connection
> to a dsl router. I work ona Win2003 server that is plugged into the same
> hub
> but is inside our corporate domain over VPN tunnel. Everything except the
> Vista machine works great however on our new Vista Home Premium laptop if
> turn
> network discovery on I see all computers in our private home workgroup and
> all
> computers in the corporate domain. This is a problem as there are 100+
> machines in the domain and it takes a long time to for network to list all
> the boxes.
>
> I've tried opening Windows Explorer, double clicking on network, opening
> the
> drop down box for workgroup and selecting the name of our home workgroup.
> It
> stills looks at every one of the 100+ computers on the corporate domain
> and
> shows then on left navigation tree but not in the list in the right window
> pane which does show only the home machines. The next time I open Windows
> Explorer the box for our local workgroup is once again unchecked and all
> the
> domain machines show up again. This is making me crazy as we share a lot
> of
> files on our home LAN.
>
> Any one have suggestions?
>
> Thanks

John Colaizzi

Re: Vista discovery problem home LAN with Win2003 VPN showing doma
Thanks Robert. The Win2003 box does have WINS assigned. This has not been a
problem with the XP machines as they show the corporate domain on a different
node under Microsoft Windows Network and only display them if you click that
node.

The Win2003 system has the WINS assigned in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings. I
found a way to colapse the groups so I only see the computers on the local
one.

Thanks