Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data

Mike B

Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
Within hours of upgrading Norton Internet Security from 2007 to 2008, I am no
longer able to connect to my IRC bouncer. I have spoken with Symantec
customer service already, and am told this is a Windows problem and not a
Norton one. So here I am, asking for help.

This problem occurs is not isolated to a specific program, and I have not
yet tested while on a wired connection, as that is unavailable to me at this
moment. I am on an 802.11g network. My IRC bouncer routinely sends me in
excess of 250KB of data each time I connect, and shortly after connecting,
the connection drops. One program, X-Chat 2, gives the following error:
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
All I can assume after speaking with Symantec customer service reps is that
this is a driver or registry issue.

Thanks for your help.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
Assuming all happen after installed NIS, restart the Vista with clean
booting. Does that work?

Vista ErrorsTroubleshooting Vista with clean boot · Active Directory Domain
Services is currently unavailable · A Layered Service Provider isn't
up-to-date ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaerrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mike B" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Within hours of upgrading Norton Internet Security from 2007 to 2008, I am
> no
> longer able to connect to my IRC bouncer. I have spoken with Symantec
> customer service already, and am told this is a Windows problem and not a
> Norton one. So here I am, asking for help.
>
> This problem occurs is not isolated to a specific program, and I have not
> yet tested while on a wired connection, as that is unavailable to me at
> this
> moment. I am on an 802.11g network. My IRC bouncer routinely sends me in
> excess of 250KB of data each time I connect, and shortly after connecting,
> the connection drops. One program, X-Chat 2, gives the following error:
> An established connection was aborted by the software in your host
> machine.
> All I can assume after speaking with Symantec customer service reps is
> that
> this is a driver or registry issue.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Mike B

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
I have rebooted multiple times, uninstalled NIS, tried connecting without
having NIS installed, and installed the old version of NIS. Symantec
customer service was not much help. The problem persists. I have tried
arguing my point with Symantec, but they keep insisting it's a Windows issue,
whereas I feel it's more of an NIS issue.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assuming all happen after installed NIS, restart the Vista with clean
> booting. Does that work?
>
> Vista ErrorsTroubleshooting Vista with clean boot · Active Directory Domain
> Services is currently unavailable · A Layered Service Provider isn't
> up-to-date ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaerrors.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mike B" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Within hours of upgrading Norton Internet Security from 2007 to 2008, I am
> > no
> > longer able to connect to my IRC bouncer. I have spoken with Symantec
> > customer service already, and am told this is a Windows problem and not a
> > Norton one. So here I am, asking for help.
> >
> > This problem occurs is not isolated to a specific program, and I have not
> > yet tested while on a wired connection, as that is unavailable to me at
> > this
> > moment. I am on an 802.11g network. My IRC bouncer routinely sends me in
> > excess of 250KB of data each time I connect, and shortly after connecting,
> > the connection drops. One program, X-Chat 2, gives the following error:
> > An established connection was aborted by the software in your host
> > machine.
> > All I can assume after speaking with Symantec customer service reps is
> > that
> > this is a driver or registry issue.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
I would tend to agree that it is a NIS issue...

Is there anything logged in the System or Application event log?

Also, have you tried to do a System Restore until before you updated
NIS?
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:13:00 -0800, Mike B
<MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have rebooted multiple times, uninstalled NIS, tried connecting without
>having NIS installed, and installed the old version of NIS. Symantec
>customer service was not much help. The problem persists. I have tried
>arguing my point with Symantec, but they keep insisting it's a Windows issue,
>whereas I feel it's more of an NIS issue.
>
>"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Assuming all happen after installed NIS, restart the Vista with clean
>> booting. Does that work?
>>
>> Vista ErrorsTroubleshooting Vista with clean boot Active Directory Domain
>> Services is currently unavailable A Layered Service Provider isn't
>> up-to-date ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaerrors.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mike B" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Within hours of upgrading Norton Internet Security from 2007 to 2008, I am
>> > no
>> > longer able to connect to my IRC bouncer. I have spoken with Symantec
>> > customer service already, and am told this is a Windows problem and not a
>> > Norton one. So here I am, asking for help.
>> >
>> > This problem occurs is not isolated to a specific program, and I have not
>> > yet tested while on a wired connection, as that is unavailable to me at
>> > this
>> > moment. I am on an 802.11g network. My IRC bouncer routinely sends me in
>> > excess of 250KB of data each time I connect, and shortly after connecting,
>> > the connection drops. One program, X-Chat 2, gives the following error:
>> > An established connection was aborted by the software in your host
>> > machine.
>> > All I can assume after speaking with Symantec customer service reps is
>> > that
>> > this is a driver or registry issue.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.

Mike B

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
Going to give System Restore a shot. We'll see soon enough. Thanks for the
idea, it completely slipped my mind.

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> I would tend to agree that it is a NIS issue...
>
> Is there anything logged in the System or Application event log?
>
> Also, have you tried to do a System Restore until before you updated
> NIS?
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:13:00 -0800, Mike B
> <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have rebooted multiple times, uninstalled NIS, tried connecting without
> >having NIS installed, and installed the old version of NIS. Symantec
> >customer service was not much help. The problem persists. I have tried
> >arguing my point with Symantec, but they keep insisting it's a Windows issue,
> >whereas I feel it's more of an NIS issue.
> >
> >"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming all happen after installed NIS, restart the Vista with clean
> >> booting. Does that work?
> >>
> >> Vista ErrorsTroubleshooting Vista with clean boot · Active Directory Domain
> >> Services is currently unavailable · A Layered Service Provider isn't
> >> up-to-date ...
> >> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaerrors.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
Let us know if it worked....
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:25:00 -0800, Mike B
<MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Going to give System Restore a shot. We'll see soon enough. Thanks for the
>idea, it completely slipped my mind.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
>> I would tend to agree that it is a NIS issue...
>>
>> Is there anything logged in the System or Application event log?
>>
>> Also, have you tried to do a System Restore until before you updated
>> NIS?
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:13:00 -0800, Mike B
>> <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have rebooted multiple times, uninstalled NIS, tried connecting without
>> >having NIS installed, and installed the old version of NIS. Symantec
>> >customer service was not much help. The problem persists. I have tried
>> >arguing my point with Symantec, but they keep insisting it's a Windows issue,
>> >whereas I feel it's more of an NIS issue.

Mike B

Re: Connection drop when receiving large amounts of data
I only received a general system restore error. I'm just reformatting and
installing Vista again. Thanks for trying to help.