Writing to an XP Folder

Zach

Writing to an XP Folder
Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
User Account ID and password, it still does not work.

Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
anyway) ?
--
Zach
Mick Murphy

RE: Writing to an XP Folder

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Zach" wrote:

> Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
> shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
> I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
> User Account ID and password, it still does not work.
>
> Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
> XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
> anyway) ?
> --
> Zach

Zach

RE: Writing to an XP Folder
Thanks....will look at it. I have already done all you suggested.
--
Zach

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Zach" wrote:
>
> > Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
> > shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
> > I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
> > User Account ID and password, it still does not work.
> >
> > Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
> > XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
> > anyway) ?
> > --
> > Zach

Zach

RE: Writing to an XP Folder
In the paper you suggested, it has the following:

If the shared folder does not have the Guest or Everyone account in its list
of allowed users, shared folder access can fail even after prompting you for
the name of the Guest account. To correct this, add the Guest or Everyone
account to the list of allowed users on the share.

1) How do I add the Everyone account ? Is it like adding any other account
and calling it Everyone with Administrator privileges ?

2) When I go to the folder's Sharing and Security ==> Sharing, adding
permissions is not an option, i.e., no Permissions button. Any ideas ?
--
Zach

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Zach" wrote:
>
> > Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
> > shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
> > I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
> > User Account ID and password, it still does not work.
> >
> > Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
> > XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
> > anyway) ?
> > --
> > Zach

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Writing to an XP Folder
Try specifying the username as XPCOMPUTERNAME\YOURXPUSERNAME and then
use your XP password...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:36:09 -0800, Zach
<Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
>shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
>I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
>User Account ID and password, it still does not work.
>
>Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
>XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
>anyway) ?

Zach

Re: Writing to an XP Folder
Jeff.... I need to be a bit more specific. The problem occurs when I try to
create a backup set on a folder on a XP PC not when copying folders; this
works just fine.

When running the Vista Backups wizard, I select "Network" for the destination
of the backups, I select the target folder (XP PC's shared folder), I get
prompted for user ID and pswd (used your suggestion on user ID). Get msg
box back "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done
(0x80070534)".

Any ideas ?

--
Zach

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Try specifying the username as XPCOMPUTERNAME\YOURXPUSERNAME and then
> use your XP password...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:36:09 -0800, Zach
> <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Running Windows/XP Professional and Vista on two PCs. I can write to a
> >shared folders on the Vista PC from the XP PC but not the other way around.
> >I am being prompted for a user ID and password and when I enter a valid XP
> >User Account ID and password, it still does not work.
> >
> >Is there a way to write to shared XP folder from Vista the way it works from
> >XP to Vista without having to enter passwords, etc. (which did not work
> >anyway) ?

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Writing to an XP Folder
This isn't an answer per se, but others have been hashing out this
problem with a varying degree of success... Take a look at some of
their solutions and see if any can help in your situation.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5327&SiteID=17

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com