Using Office across the LAN

pag

Using Office across the LAN
I have two identially configured Vista Ultimate systems and planned to use
Office off one machine. When I try to run an Office app I get "The operating
system is not presently configured to run this application". MS Help suggests
talking to the administrator; that's me and I am stuck!

Please can anyone tell me how to run over the network.
Malke

Re: Using Office across the LAN
pag wrote:
> I have two identially configured Vista Ultimate systems and planned to use
> Office off one machine. When I try to run an Office app I get "The operating
> system is not presently configured to run this application". MS Help suggests
> talking to the administrator; that's me and I am stuck!
>
> Please can anyone tell me how to run over the network.

I don't think Office programs are designed to run across the network.
However, MS Office isn't my area of expertise so I suggest you post in
one of the Office newsgroups where you'll get answers from the Office gurus.

List of public MS newsgroups:

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

When you post there, make sure you include important information like
the version of Office, which Office programs, and whether the machines
are in a Workgroup or Domain.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
pag

Re: Using Office across the LAN
Thanks, Malke, I assumed it was a networking problem but will try the Office
group. Thanks for getting back so quickly

"Malke" wrote:

> pag wrote:
> > I have two identially configured Vista Ultimate systems and planned to use
> > Office off one machine. When I try to run an Office app I get "The operating
> > system is not presently configured to run this application". MS Help suggests
> > talking to the administrator; that's me and I am stuck!
> >
> > Please can anyone tell me how to run over the network.

> I don't think Office programs are designed to run across the network.
> However, MS Office isn't my area of expertise so I suggest you post in
> one of the Office newsgroups where you'll get answers from the Office gurus.
>
> List of public MS newsgroups:
>
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>
> When you post there, make sure you include important information like
> the version of Office, which Office programs, and whether the machines
> are in a Workgroup or Domain.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Using Office across the LAN
Since you are running Ultimate, you could remote desktop into the
other system and run it that way...

You would need to enable Remote Desktop (Control Panel -> System ->
Remote Access) and then use the Remote Desktop Connection client to
connect to the other Vista system.
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:21:01 -0800, pag <pag@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have two identially configured Vista Ultimate systems and planned to use
>Office off one machine. When I try to run an Office app I get "The operating
>system is not presently configured to run this application". MS Help suggests
>talking to the administrator; that's me and I am stuck!
>
>Please can anyone tell me how to run over the network.

pag

Re: Using Office across the LAN
Jeffrey, I had thought of that, but was trying to avoid completely taking
over the other machine on which I am often executing long programs while
developing on the other. When I tried it it took over the screen and I did
not go beyond that. Thanks for the suggestion; I will try to run it and see
what it does to the host!

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Since you are running Ultimate, you could remote desktop into the
> other system and run it that way...
>
> You would need to enable Remote Desktop (Control Panel -> System ->
> Remote Access) and then use the Remote Desktop Connection client to
> connect to the other Vista system.
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:21:01 -0800, pag <pag@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have two identially configured Vista Ultimate systems and planned to use
> >Office off one machine. When I try to run an Office app I get "The operating
> >system is not presently configured to run this application". MS Help suggests
> >talking to the administrator; that's me and I am stuck!
> >
> >Please can anyone tell me how to run over the network.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Using Office across the LAN
Non-MS solution here, but if you don't want to take over the
UI,consider something like UltraVNC.... It's like Remote Desktop, but
it doesn't lock the local machine...
---