Wireless network trouble

grfok

Wireless network trouble
Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless 3945ABG,
Linksys wrt54G.
I cannot get the laptop wireless to work, FN &F2 turns on the light but I do
not show a wireless device on the taskbar, Device manager shows it "working
properly" "not Connected". I downloaded and tried to install the latest
drivers but the device driver will not install. I read about Vista hotfix #
932063 but not sure if that will help. How can this be so hard? Something is
either wrong or I missed something simple.
Help

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless network trouble
Maybe you need to go Network and Sharing Center to setup the wireless. or
This how may help too.

How to setup wireless in Windows Vista
http://www.wifimvp.com/howto/setwireless2.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"grfok" <u39670@uwe> wrote in message news:7c48f942813d3@uwe...
> Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless
> 3945ABG,
> Linksys wrt54G.
> I cannot get the laptop wireless to work, FN &F2 turns on the light but I
> do
> not show a wireless device on the taskbar, Device manager shows it
> "working
> properly" "not Connected". I downloaded and tried to install the latest
> drivers but the device driver will not install. I read about Vista hotfix
> #
> 932063 but not sure if that will help. How can this be so hard? Something
> is
> either wrong or I missed something simple.
> Help

grfok

Re: Wireless network trouble
Been there done that... Also worked with Gateway and Linksys online to no
help... seems wireless hardware is not working... even though device manager
says it is.

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>Maybe you need to go Network and Sharing Center to setup the wireless. or
>This how may help too.
>
>How to setup wireless in Windows Vista
>http://www.wifimvp.com/howto/setwireless2.htm
>
>> Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless
>> 3945ABG,

>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> either wrong or I missed something simple.
>> Help

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Wireless network trouble
You might want to pull out the Gateway manual. They may have
installed the Intel Pro-Set utility for the Wifi, which would require
you to start that program to enable/disable the Wifi.. Look around in
your Start Menu for Pro-Set or Intel Wireless...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:36:21 GMT, "grfok" <u39670@uwe> wrote:

>Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless 3945ABG,
>Linksys wrt54G.
>I cannot get the laptop wireless to work, FN &F2 turns on the light but I do
>not show a wireless device on the taskbar, Device manager shows it "working
>properly" "not Connected". I downloaded and tried to install the latest
>drivers but the device driver will not install. I read about Vista hotfix #
>932063 but not sure if that will help. How can this be so hard? Something is
>either wrong or I missed something simple.
>Help

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Wireless network trouble
In addition to my earlier post, also consider upgrading your wireless
drivers from Intel's website...
---

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:01:14 GMT, "grfok" <u39670@uwe> wrote:

> Been there done that... Also worked with Gateway and Linksys online to no
>help... seems wireless hardware is not working... even though device manager
>says it is.
>
>Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>Maybe you need to go Network and Sharing Center to setup the wireless. or
>>This how may help too.
>>
>>How to setup wireless in Windows Vista
>>http://www.wifimvp.com/howto/setwireless2.htm
>>
>>> Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless
>>> 3945ABG,

>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>> either wrong or I missed something simple.
>>> Help

grfok via WindowsKB.com

Re: Wireless network trouble
That's part of the problem, no Pro Set utilities installed and when I try to
install them from intell they remove themselves before the install is
complete.... Wierd... I think you're on to something with the WIFI though...
Thanks

Jeffrey Randow wrote:
>You might want to pull out the Gateway manual. They may have
>installed the Intel Pro-Set utility for the Wifi, which would require
>you to start that program to enable/disable the Wifi.. Look around in
>your Start Menu for Pro-Set or Intel Wireless...
>---
>Jeffrey Randow
>jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>http://www.networkblog.net
>
>>Gateway MT6916 Laptop, Win Vista Home Prem 32bit, Intel pro Wireless 3945ABG,
>>Linksys wrt54G.

>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>either wrong or I missed something simple.
>>Help

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Wireless network trouble
Look in the event log... It should explain why the Windows Installer
is rolling back the install...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com