Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEFsbGVu?=

Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
Folks,

I have a network of one Vista PC, one XP PC, a Buffalo NAS and a
E'net-switch/router.
Everything works in that all the shares are visible from both PCs and all
required access is available.

The problem is the anomalously slow transfers when pushing files from the
Vista PC to the XP PC and to the NAS.

The Vista PC can pull files from the other two at good speeds, around 6
MEGABytes/second , but the speed when PUSHING to the other two drops to
anything from 50 KILOBytes/second to 500 KILOBytes/second. The flashing light
on the router show a very 'pulsed' pattern of activity during these push
operations, longer pauses than data bursts.

The XP PC can push files to and pull files from the other two at good
speeds, around 4 MEGABytes/second (calculated) and upwards.

To copy any heavy files from the Vista PC to the Buffalo it is quicker for
me to pull the file to the XP PC and then copy it to the Buffalo from there.

I have tweaked various settings on the integrated E'net controller on the
Vista PC, switched out IP V6 and QOS, restarted the router etc. but to no
avail. Does anyone have advice on where to tickle my setup to improve the
speed for push copying from the Vista machine ?

The Vista PC is new and replaced an old W98 PC which copied at high speed,
both push and pull.

Del Dimension 8250 XP SP2. Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Home Premium - Intel
6600 Dual core 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM. Netgear DG834 router. Cable network with
structured Cat5e UTP.

Regards
Tom Allen
=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE8u?=

RE: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
I have nothing more to add other than mentioning I have experienced extremley
slow transfer speeds when transfering from my XP Home machine to My Vista
Ultimate machine (originating the pull from Vista). In fact, on files larger
than 1MB, I get an error message saying it was unable to copy the file and I
can either "cancel" or "try again". Every time without fail the large file
copies to the Vista destination within seconds after hitting "try again".
Strange!

Rob O.

"Tom Allen" wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have a network of one Vista PC, one XP PC, a Buffalo NAS and a
> E'net-switch/router.
> Everything works in that all the shares are visible from both PCs and all
> required access is available.
>
> The problem is the anomalously slow transfers when pushing files from the
> Vista PC to the XP PC and to the NAS.
>
> The Vista PC can pull files from the other two at good speeds, around 6
> MEGABytes/second , but the speed when PUSHING to the other two drops to
> anything from 50 KILOBytes/second to 500 KILOBytes/second. The flashing light
> on the router show a very 'pulsed' pattern of activity during these push
> operations, longer pauses than data bursts.
>
> The XP PC can push files to and pull files from the other two at good
> speeds, around 4 MEGABytes/second (calculated) and upwards.
>
> To copy any heavy files from the Vista PC to the Buffalo it is quicker for
> me to pull the file to the XP PC and then copy it to the Buffalo from there.
>
> I have tweaked various settings on the integrated E'net controller on the
> Vista PC, switched out IP V6 and QOS, restarted the router etc. but to no
> avail. Does anyone have advice on where to tickle my setup to improve the
> speed for push copying from the Vista machine ?
>
> The Vista PC is new and replaced an old W98 PC which copied at high speed,
> both push and pull.
>
> Del Dimension 8250 XP SP2. Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Home Premium - Intel
> 6600 Dual core 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM. Netgear DG834 router. Cable network with
> structured Cat5e UTP.
>

> Regards
> Tom Allen

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEFsbGVu?=

RE: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
Seems this is Windows Explorer related as Acronis True Image can backup a
folder to the NAS in less than twenty seconds whereas a drag and drop copy of
the same folder within Windows Explorer takes twenty minutes.

I've tried setting TCP 'autotuning' to disabled but that had no effect.

"Tom Allen" wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have a network of one Vista PC, one XP PC, a Buffalo NAS and a
> E'net-switch/router.
> Everything works in that all the shares are visible from both PCs and all
> required access is available.
>
> The problem is the anomalously slow transfers when pushing files from the
> Vista PC to the XP PC and to the NAS.
>
> The Vista PC can pull files from the other two at good speeds, around 6
> MEGABytes/second , but the speed when PUSHING to the other two drops to
> anything from 50 KILOBytes/second to 500 KILOBytes/second. The flashing light
> on the router show a very 'pulsed' pattern of activity during these push
> operations, longer pauses than data bursts.
>
> The XP PC can push files to and pull files from the other two at good
> speeds, around 4 MEGABytes/second (calculated) and upwards.
>
> To copy any heavy files from the Vista PC to the Buffalo it is quicker for
> me to pull the file to the XP PC and then copy it to the Buffalo from there.
>
> I have tweaked various settings on the integrated E'net controller on the
> Vista PC, switched out IP V6 and QOS, restarted the router etc. but to no
> avail. Does anyone have advice on where to tickle my setup to improve the
> speed for push copying from the Vista machine ?
>
> The Vista PC is new and replaced an old W98 PC which copied at high speed,
> both push and pull.
>
> Del Dimension 8250 XP SP2. Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Home Premium - Intel
> 6600 Dual core 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM. Netgear DG834 router. Cable network with
> structured Cat5e UTP.
>

> Regards
> Tom Allen

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
I believe this is because Vista is using an updated version of SMB (the
protocol windows uses to transfer files via network). My guess is, it is
trying to use v2 and times out and has to go back to v1. This is just a
guess though. I was told at a launch event by a microsoft rep about vista
and the next generation of servers being upgraded to SMB v2 (although I
hadn't noticed any speed problems with Vista yet) and that it would allow
faster transfers and a variety of other things. Would be interesting to
hear someone from Microsoft about this though.

Jeff

"Tom Allen" <TomAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Seems this is Windows Explorer related as Acronis True Image can backup a
> folder to the NAS in less than twenty seconds whereas a drag and drop copy
> of
> the same folder within Windows Explorer takes twenty minutes.
>
> I've tried setting TCP 'autotuning' to disabled but that had no effect.
>
> "Tom Allen" wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have a network of one Vista PC, one XP PC, a Buffalo NAS and a
>> E'net-switch/router.
>> Everything works in that all the shares are visible from both PCs and all
>> required access is available.
>>
>> The problem is the anomalously slow transfers when pushing files from the
>> Vista PC to the XP PC and to the NAS.
>>
>> The Vista PC can pull files from the other two at good speeds, around 6
>> MEGABytes/second , but the speed when PUSHING to the other two drops to
>> anything from 50 KILOBytes/second to 500 KILOBytes/second. The flashing
>> light
>> on the router show a very 'pulsed' pattern of activity during these push
>> operations, longer pauses than data bursts.
>>
>> The XP PC can push files to and pull files from the other two at good
>> speeds, around 4 MEGABytes/second (calculated) and upwards.
>>
>> To copy any heavy files from the Vista PC to the Buffalo it is quicker
>> for
>> me to pull the file to the XP PC and then copy it to the Buffalo from
>> there.
>>
>> I have tweaked various settings on the integrated E'net controller on the
>> Vista PC, switched out IP V6 and QOS, restarted the router etc. but to no
>> avail. Does anyone have advice on where to tickle my setup to improve the
>> speed for push copying from the Vista machine ?
>>
>> The Vista PC is new and replaced an old W98 PC which copied at high
>> speed,
>> both push and pull.
>>
>> Del Dimension 8250 XP SP2. Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Home Premium - Intel
>> 6600 Dual core 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM. Netgear DG834 router. Cable network with
>> structured Cat5e UTP.
>>

>> Regards
>> Tom Allen

boe

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
Did your rep say anything about a patch for our current 2003 servers to
support SMB v2?

Thanks

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> for
>>> me to pull the file to the XP PC and then copy it to the Buffalo from
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I have tweaked various settings on the integrated E'net controller on
>>> the
>>> Vista PC, switched out IP V6 and QOS, restarted the router etc. but to
>>> no
>>> avail. Does anyone have advice on where to tickle my setup to improve
>>> the
>>> speed for push copying from the Vista machine ?
>>>
>>> The Vista PC is new and replaced an old W98 PC which copied at high
>>> speed,
>>> both push and pull.
>>>
>>> Del Dimension 8250 XP SP2. Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Home Premium -
>>> Intel
>>> 6600 Dual core 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM. Netgear DG834 router. Cable network

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
He didn't know, he just announced it to everyone at a "Across America"
launch event.

Jeff

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did your rep say anything about a patch for our current 2003 servers to
> support SMB v2?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>>I believe this is because Vista is using an updated version of SMB (the
>>protocol windows uses to transfer files via network). My guess is, it is
>>trying to use v2 and times out and has to go back to v1. This is just a
>>guess though. I was told at a launch event by a microsoft rep about vista
>>and the next generation of servers being upgraded to SMB v2 (although I
>>hadn't noticed any speed problems with Vista yet) and that it would allow
>>faster transfers and a variety of other things. Would be interesting to
>>hear someone from Microsoft about this though.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> "Tom Allen" <TomAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Seems this is Windows Explorer related as Acronis True Image can backup
>>> folder to the NAS in less than twenty seconds whereas a drag and drop
>>> copy of
>>> the same folder within Windows Explorer takes twenty minutes.
>>>
>>> I've tried setting TCP 'autotuning' to disabled but that had no effect.

boe

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
Thanks for the info.

> He didn't know, he just announced it to everyone at a "Across America"
> launch event.
>
> Jeff
>
> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Did your rep say anything about a patch for our current 2003 servers to
>> support SMB v2?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>>>I believe this is because Vista is using an updated version of SMB (the
>>>protocol windows uses to transfer files via network). My guess is, it is
>>>trying to use v2 and times out and has to go back to v1. This is just a
>>>guess though. I was told at a launch event by a microsoft rep about
>>>vista and the next generation of servers being upgraded to SMB v2
>>>(although I hadn't noticed any speed problems with Vista yet) and that it
>>>would allow faster transfers and a variety of other things. Would be
>>>interesting to hear someone from Microsoft about this though.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
No problem, if you happen to hear anything about this let me know. I am
going to try do some research on SMB v2 when i have the time to see what all
is being upgraded. I do remember him mentioning that when Microsoft created
SMB v1 it was designed for smaller files because they didn't have the larger
files we now have today. If I find anything I will post it here.

> Thanks for the info.
>
> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>> He didn't know, he just announced it to everyone at a "Across America"
>> launch event.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Did your rep say anything about a patch for our current 2003 servers to
>>> support SMB v2?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
I found this online and thought you might find it interesting:

Server Message Block 2.0
Server Message Block (SMB), also known as the Common Internet File System
(CIFS), is the file sharing protocol used by default on Windows-based
computers. Windows includes an SMB client (the Client for Microsoft Windows
component installed through the properties of a network connection) and an
SMB server (the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows component
installed through the properties of a network connection). SMB in versions
of Windows prior to Windows Server "Longhorn" and Windows Vista, known as
SMB 1.0, was originally designed 15 years ago for early Windows-based
network operating systems such as Microsoft LAN Manager and Windows for
Workgroups and carries with it the limitations of its initial design.

SMB in Windows Server "Longhorn" and Windows Vista also supports SMB 2.0; a
new version of SMB that has been redesigned for today's networking
environments and the needs of the next generation of file servers. SMB 2.0
has the following enhancements:

.. Supports sending multiple SMB commands within the same packet. This
reduces the number of packets sent between an SMB client and server, a
common complaint against SMB 1.0.

.. Supports much larger buffer sizes compared to SMB 1.0.

.. Increases the restrictive constants within the protocol design to allow
for scalability. Examples include an increase in the number of concurrent
open file handles on the server and the number of file shares that a server
can have.

.. Supports durable handles that can withstand short interruptions in network
availability.

.. Supports symbolic links.

Computers running Windows Server "Longhorn" or Windows Vista support both
SMB 1.0 and SMB 2.0. The version of SMB that is used for file sharing
operations is determined during the SMB session negotiation. The following
table shows which version of SMB that is used for various combinations of
client and server computers.

Client Server Version of SMB used
Windows Server "Longhorn" or Windows Vista -> Windows Server "Longhorn" or
Windows Vista
SMB 2.0

Windows Server "Longhorn" or Windows Vista -> Windows XP, Windows Server
2003, or Windows 2000
SMB 1.0

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 -> Windows Server
"Longhorn" or Windows Vista
SMB 1.0

Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 -> Windows XP, Windows
Server 2003, or Windows 2000
SMB 1.0

Hope this helps...

Jeff

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info.
>
> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@spam.bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>> He didn't know, he just announced it to everyone at a "Across America"
>> launch event.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Did your rep say anything about a patch for our current 2003 servers to
>>> support SMB v2?
>>>
>>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEFsbGVu?=

Re: Anomalously slow file transfers from Vista
Thanks both of you for the responses and information,

In my innocence I would have assumed that an 'SMB session' would be one copy
function and thus only one negotiation would take place. There are very many
pauses in the 'Vista pushing' transfers I see, shown by the flashing lights
on the switch/router and by network activity as displayed by Task Manager.
Other transfers appear as continuous flickering.

Does the table apply to peers in a private home network and if so how does
the difference between push and pull come about ? Is the 'client' the
originator, the pusher or the puller ? Or is my setup operating at a dumber
level as Jeffrey's theory of 'timeouts' might suggest ?

I have yet to find anything to tweak to fix the problem.

Regards and thanks again
Tom