Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
I have a network of 5 computers, a mix of XP Pro SP1, XP Home, my box which
is XP Pro SP2 and a new Vista laptop, all hard-wired. I have followedd all
the troubelshooting steps mentioned in links in other threads. My computer is
a dual boot setup. Nothing I've done with firewall, TCP/IP settings, LLTD
installed on both machines, sharing set up, all in the same workgroup and
network being private has allowed the Vista machine to access my XP Pro box.
On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
unknown.

From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
If using this command: net view \\edwardipaddress, what's the system error? if not error, can you map the remote drive using IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Insight Driver" <InsightDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7540BDF5-FD3A-47FC-BCBF-CCF15D87865F@microsoft.com...
I have a network of 5 computers, a mix of XP Pro SP1, XP Home, my box which
is XP Pro SP2 and a new Vista laptop, all hard-wired. I have followedd all
the troubelshooting steps mentioned in links in other threads. My computer is
a dual boot setup. Nothing I've done with firewall, TCP/IP settings, LLTD
installed on both machines, sharing set up, all in the same workgroup and
network being private has allowed the Vista machine to access my XP Pro box.
On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
unknown.

From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try.
=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

Re: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro

When I go the other direction to try to see the public folder on the Vista
laptop I get System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

The Vista laptop can be accessed by a different machine on my network,
however. Clearly something about my machine is not right.
"Insight Driver" wrote:bl,c

> [...]

> On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
> could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
> have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
> 0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
> sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
> unknown.
>
> From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
> am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
> installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
> all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
> more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
Basically, if we can access other computer using IP but hostname, it could be the name resolution issue. If we can't access remote computer using IP with system error 53, it could be firewall issue. This post may help too,

Vista: Can see XP but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums....php?p=694#694

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Insight Driver" <InsightDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CED6B20A-BCA2-4C6C-93F0-21F224BA6A20@microsoft.com...

When I go the other direction to try to see the public folder on the Vista
laptop I get System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

The Vista laptop can be accessed by a different machine on my network,
however. Clearly something about my machine is not right.
"Insight Driver" wrote:bl,c

> Yes, if I map the network drive using the IP address I can access it. Thank
> you for the help. I do hope this also helps you understand what is not right
> on my system. I was about to wipe the drive and do a reinstall. I don't want
> to do that, though, so if I do something to fix my issue or use this
> workaround it should be workable enough for the time being.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > If using this command: net view \\edwardipaddress, what's the system error? if not error, can you map the remote drive using IP?
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Insight Driver" <InsightDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7540BDF5-FD3A-47FC-BCBF-CCF15D87865F@microsoft.com...
> > I have a network of 5 computers, a mix of XP Pro SP1, XP Home, my box which
> > is XP Pro SP2 and a new Vista laptop, all hard-wired. I have followedd all
> > the troubelshooting steps mentioned in links in other threads. My computer is
> > a dual boot setup. Nothing I've done with firewall, TCP/IP settings, LLTD
> > installed on both machines, sharing set up, all in the same workgroup and
> > network being private has allowed the Vista machine to access my XP Pro box.
> > On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
> > could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
> > have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
> > 0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
> > sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
> > unknown.
> >
> > From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
> > am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
> > installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
> > all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
> > more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try

=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

Re: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
Hi Robert,

Early on, using troubleshooting techniques I looked up before starting on
this I disconnected from the internet by pulling power on the cable modem. I
then disabled the firewall on every computer. I did all the steps of
resetting the router, rebooting the pc's and such. I've done the things
mentioned in the articles you linked to no avail.

After reboots things change as well. I was able to access my XP machine from
Vista earlier tonight. I have since rebooted a number of times. Now I see a
listing in Network Places of both my IP, which when I click it shows just
Printer (which I installed on Vista earlier today and successfully printed a
test page) and my XP computer name, simplified to Ed.

So far with net use it only works one way, Vista to XP. Understand, too,
that it is just my computer. The other XP SP1 computer I have on the network
sees the Vista machine and can access the shared Public folder on it. There
is an XP home machine I can try from to see. It's my son's and he plays games
on it and doesn't like to be interupted (****ager). I'm convinced, so I am
reiterating that it is something about my machine.

I would appreciate suggestions on what to look for on my machine as that
relate to this name resolution issue. I'm puzzled but still trying different
things. I'm starting to tilt toward doing a wipe and reinstall. I've put a
lot of hours into troubleshooting this and I've gotten sloppy and done some
changes without taking notes.

> [...]

> > > On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
> > > could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
> > > have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
> > > 0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
> > > sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
> > > unknown.
> > >
> > > From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
> > > am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
> > > installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
> > > all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
> > > more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try

=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

Re: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
I've decided to start over by wiping the drive and reinstalling from scratch.
This will have me at defaults and I'm going to be methodical in documenting
every change, one at a time, with a reboot, test, then change back if I run
into any issues. I will update this thread with my situation when I get my
installation finished on my XP machine. I had a partition with Vista RC1 on
my drive that I wanted to get rid of anyway.

What pushed me over the edge was that I decided to uninstall some programs I
had and on a reboot one was corrupted and kept asking me to reinstall it so
it could be uninstalled. When I ran install it squawked that files were
corrupt so installation could not continue. When I get into this circular
situation It's a pain to go into the registry to stop the squawking. The
important files I had are saved on a DVD which I checked to confirm I could
read them so no worries. It will be nice to have a squeaky clean install of
Windows once again (many of us must know that feeling :-) )

"Insight Driver" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > When I go the other direction to try to see the public folder on the Vista
> > laptop I get System error 53 has occurred.
> > The network path was not found.
> >
> > The Vista laptop can be accessed by a different machine on my network,
> > however. Clearly something about my machine is not right.
> > "Insight Driver" wrote:bl,c
> >
> > > Yes, if I map the network drive using the IP address I can access it. Thank
> > > you for the help. I do hope this also helps you understand what is not right
> > > on my system. I was about to wipe the drive and do a reinstall. I don't want
> > > to do that, though, so if I do something to fix my issue or use this
> > > workaround it should be workable enough for the time being.

=?Utf-8?B?SW5zaWdodCBEcml2ZXI=?=

RE: Vista sees network, can't access XP Pro
Problem Resovled - root cause unknown

I did a wipe and clean install of XP Pro. I left it offline until I got to
the point where I had to download my anti-virus and firewall suite (McAffee
provided free by Comcast to Comcast Broadband customers). I left my Vista
laptop off until after I had my firewall installed. I changed nothing in
default Local Area connections. I did not disable anything. McAfee
automatically disabled Windows Firewall. I changed no settings in McAfee.
With the firewall running I turned on my laptop.

The entire network showed up immedately in Network. I clicked on my XP Pro
and a password entry box opened. I realized I had forgotten to do anything
about shares. I made Shared Documents a shared folder and Shared my printer.
Every other computer on the network can see Vista and access Public. From my
XP Pro machine I can see and access, including Vista, every other machine on
my network.

I must conclude that there was some software loaded on my computer that was
screwing things up; something that was not affected by all the setting
changes I did. For example, before, to be able to see my wife's computer I
had to enable IPX/SPX/NetBios protocol. Now I don't have to. Seeing each
computer is snappy now, as well. Before there was a delay before the shared
folders on a computer became visible.

My experience was plug and play simple this time. With a clean install. I
would say that for those who have an intractible problem that experts have
helped with and have exhausted just about every avenue, I would suggest
reinstalling Windows, but only as a last resort. I have a DVD burner which
made it simple to save My Documents tree. Copying it back was simple and all
my documents are preserved.

As I had dozens and dozens of different programs installed before I doubt
I'll find the combination that crippled my computer from being seen by
others.

I can say it had nothing to do with my hardware setup (I have a 4-port
switch cascaded to a 4-port router as I have six computers on my home
network).

Feel free to ask me what my default settings are. I'm going to reboot my Xp
and Vista machines to do a sanity check, then I'll be happy as a clam.

"Insight Driver" wrote:

> I have a network of 5 computers, a mix of XP Pro SP1, XP Home, my box which
> is XP Pro SP2 and a new Vista laptop, all hard-wired. I have followedd all
> the troubelshooting steps mentioned in links in other threads. My computer is
> a dual boot setup. Nothing I've done with firewall, TCP/IP settings, LLTD
> installed on both machines, sharing set up, all in the same workgroup and
> network being private has allowed the Vista machine to access my XP Pro box.
> On a whim I booted into Vista RC1 on my machine. Lo and behold, every machine
> could see each other and access each others shares. The Vista laptop when I
> have XP Pro loaded says it cannot access \\Edward. Detail shows error code
> 0x80070035 The network path was not found. Clicking diagnose yeilds, "Windows
> sent a request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was
> unknown.
>
> From all my troubleshooting, and let me assure you I've been methodical, I
> am still stymied. I can say with confidence that the issue lies with my
> installation of XP Pro, but I have not been able to find the root cause for
> all my diligence. I hope I have given enough information that someone with
> more expertise than I could give me some advice on other things I could try.

kane

error code: 0x80070035
how
to do

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Dima

trouble with sleep mode
hi!!
i currently using Windows Vista Home Basic
and i think i think there is bug with sleep mode:
i mean that when i click on sleep mode button
my computer fell on sleep mode, but when i try to "awake" my computer he's not respond to my commands, no matter what i do he not respond.
and the strange thing is when i try to shutdown or try to reset (by case button) he's not respond too ..
if someone know the problem plz write me on email
thx for attention
dima.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com