Democracy in Action - microsoft can you get XP and Vista to talkreliably?

Stephan G.

Democracy in Action - microsoft can you get XP and Vista to talkreliably?
I don't have a different problem than many of the folks who have posted
on this topic. I hope the democracy of putting it out there yet again
(and again, and again) might lead to a real non-hack solution being
presented.

My XP computers and my new Vista computer will also not play nice with
one another where printer/file sharing is concerned. The Vista machine
doesn't see the XP machines (I did load the LLTD patch on the XP
machines, so the vista machine does see them on that network map, but it
doesn't see them as part of the same windows workgroup, which they
actually are). The XP machines see the vista machine fine, but don't
have permission to access it. The XP machines (and still a Windows 95
machine!) all see each other just fine and act completely as expected.

I have tried many of the things suggested in this group, including
disabling all firewalls just to see if I could get the thing up and
running, but it didn't change a thing after rounds and rounds of rebooting.

In some articles I see reference to setting up VISTA so that the file
sharing is not password protected, but this is mentioned very casually,
and I can't find the way or place to do this. I just can't find the
interface for it.

I have also read on this group the idea of enabling group accounts, or
enabling a single similar user on each machine. I have not yet tried
that, but that seems like such an awful hack. I can't imagine that even
microsoft would be willing to pass that along as a putative solution
when what they are trying to do is make the computing world more secure.

Microsoft are you listening? Why is this so difficult? Why is there
not a comprehensive, simple, foolproof, and complete KB article that
gives a soup-to-nuts how-to set of instructions that do not involve
hacking our own systems?

I would love to hear the why of this, and wonder why there aren't some
heads rolling.

-stephan
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Democracy in Action - microsoft can you get XP and Vista to talk reliably?
Hi Stephan,

First of all, we as MS-MVPs don't work for MS. If you don't find the solution here, you may call MS Free tech support regarding this issue.

Info: Vista 90-day no-charge support
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=422

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE