Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive

Scott Meyers

Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
I want to share my Vista D drive with the XP Pro and Win2K machines on
my network. The machines all see and can access each other, and the
Vista machine sees and can access the shared resources I have on the XP
and Win2K machines. Those machines see and can access the resources in
the Vista machine's Public folder. I've also turned on sharing for the
D drive on the Vista machine, and though the XP and Win2K machines can
see the contents of the D drive, they can't access anything, e.g., even
trying to read a file or folder leads to an access error. (This means
that the contents of the Vista D drive are shown in the explorer on the
XP and Win2K machines, but trying to read any of the shown entries leads
to an access error.)

I've turned on sharing for a couple of folders on the D drive on the
Vista machine, and that lets the XP and Win2K machines access the
contents of those directories for read-only, but though I've read the
many posts related to this issue in this newsgroup as well as the MS web
pages they refer to, I can't find a way to share my entire D drive with
the other machines on my network, nor can I find a way to give the other
machines write/modify access to the files on my Vista machine. My goal
is to give full read/write/modify access to all files on my D drive to
all machines on my network.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
Use icacls command to check the permissions. For example the XP IP is 192.168.1.2, do "icacls \\192.168.1.2\d". Post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> Use icacls command to check the permissions. For example the XP IP is
> 192.168.1.2, do "icacls \\192.168.1.2\d". Post back with the result.

ipconfig on the XP and Win2K machines says that their IP addresses are
192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101, respectively, but icacls says this:

d:\Temp>icacls \\192.168.1.100\d
The network path was not found.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

d:\Temp>icacls \\192.168.1.101\d
The network path was not found.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

Pinging both those IP addresses works fine.

Scott
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
On both computers, do "net share >c:\netshare.txt". then post both netshare results here.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Scott Meyers" <usenet@aristeia.com> wrote in message news:12ufha981p4hf38@corp.supernews.com...
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> Use icacls command to check the permissions. For example the XP IP is
> 192.168.1.2, do "icacls \\192.168.1.2\d". Post back with the result.

ipconfig on the XP and Win2K machines says that their IP addresses are
192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101, respectively, but icacls says this:

d:\Temp>icacls \\192.168.1.100\d
The network path was not found.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

d:\Temp>icacls \\192.168.1.101\d
The network path was not found.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

Pinging both those IP addresses works fine.

Scott
Scott Meyers

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> On both computers, do "net share >c:\netshare.txt". then post both
> netshare results here.

There are three computers involved. This is from the Win2K machine:

Share name Resource Remark
Z$ Z:\ Default share

D$ D:\ Default share

print$ C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers Printer Drivers

R$ R:\ Default share

IPC$ Remote IPC

ADMIN$ C:\WINNT Remote Admin

C$ C:\ Default share

Atalanta_D D:\
Atalanta_Z Z:\
The command completed successfully.

This is from the XP Pro machine:

Share name Resource Remark
IPC$ Remote IPC

D$ D:\ Default share

C$ C:\ Default share

print$ C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers

ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin

Y$ Y:\ Default share

Z$ Z:\ Default share

Data (D) D:\
E E:\
F F:\ SM_Reader

Local Backups
Y:\
Program Files
C:\Program Files
S H:\
SD_Reader H:\
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

SM CardReader
E:\
Software (C) C:\
Z Z:\
Dymo LabelWriter 400
USB001 Spooled Dymo LabelWriter 400

HPLJ6lse LPT1: Spooled HP LaserJet 6L

Printer FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to
send a fax
The command completed successfully.

And this is from the Vista machine; the drive I'm trying to share is
listed as Z61t_D.

Share name Resource Remark

C$ C:\ Default share
D$ D:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
U$ U:\ Default share
R$ R:\ Default share
S$ S:\ Default share
ADMIN$ C:\Windows Remote Admin
Public C:\Users\Public
Z61t_D D:\
The command completed successfully.

Scott
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
So they can see each other but not access. Do one more thing: net use h: \\xpip\d /u:username (the username is one logging on XP). Do you receive system error? If you do, can you turn off all firewall for a test?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Scott Meyers" <usenet@aristeia.com> wrote in message news:45E89BBE.8040605@aristeia.com...
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> On both computers, do "net share >c:\netshare.txt". then post both
> netshare results here.

There are three computers involved. This is from the Win2K machine:

Share name Resource Remark
Z$ Z:\ Default share

D$ D:\ Default share

print$ C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers Printer Drivers

R$ R:\ Default share

IPC$ Remote IPC

ADMIN$ C:\WINNT Remote Admin

C$ C:\ Default share

Atalanta_D D:\
Atalanta_Z Z:\
The command completed successfully.

This is from the XP Pro machine:

Share name Resource Remark
IPC$ Remote IPC

D$ D:\ Default share

C$ C:\ Default share

print$ C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers

ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin

Y$ Y:\ Default share

Z$ Z:\ Default share

Data (D) D:\
E E:\
F F:\ SM_Reader

Local Backups
Y:\
Program Files
C:\Program Files
S H:\
SD_Reader H:\
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

SM CardReader
E:\
Software (C) C:\
Z Z:\
Dymo LabelWriter 400
USB001 Spooled Dymo LabelWriter 400

HPLJ6lse LPT1: Spooled HP LaserJet 6L

Printer FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to
send a fax
The command completed successfully.

And this is from the Vista machine; the drive I'm trying to share is
listed as Z61t_D.

Share name Resource Remark

C$ C:\ Default share
D$ D:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
U$ U:\ Default share
R$ R:\ Default share
S$ S:\ Default share
ADMIN$ C:\Windows Remote Admin
Public C:\Users\Public
Z61t_D D:\
The command completed successfully.

Scott
Scott Meyers

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> So they can see each other but not access.

I thought I made this clear in the original post. The XP and Win2K
machines can access individual folders I share on the Vista machine, but
I can't find a way to give them access to entire drives, nor can I find
a way to give them other than read-only access. If I share the Vista D
drive, the other machines can read the files and folders in that
directory only, but they can't write them, and they can't read
subdirectories.

> Do one more thing: net use h: \\xpip\d /u:username (the username is one logging on
> XP). Do you receive system error? If you do, can you turn off all
> firewall for a test?

I don't understand what you are asking for here. Is "h:" a drive
letter? And on which machine(s) should I do this? Is the command "net
use"?

Thanks,

Scott

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Different Trouble Sharing a Vista Drive
You may want to Use icacls command to check the permissions. these links may help,

How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=439

Vista: Can see XP but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=449

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE