Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmllIChzc2FyOSk=?=

Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals
I am using ethernet cable and I can ping all the computers in the group. I
cannot see any of the XP computers in the Network screen. All computers have
the same workgroup name which consists of 4 characters.

I have turned on
--------------------
Network discovery
File Sharing
Public folder sharing

I have turned off
---------------------
Printer sharing
Password protecion sharing
Media sharing

I do not see any of the XP comptuers in the Network and Sharing Center
diagram. I have changed the name of the workgroup on the Vista system a
couple of times to no avail. I have Norton Interet Security 2007 installed
with all the IP addressed in the Trusted Panel on the Firewall screen.

Any help is appreciagted.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals
Can XP see each other? Can you ping XP? Or this link may help,

Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Debbie (ssar9)" <Debbiessar9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CF9B70D-C934-4501-A936-AE1D37DC92EA@microsoft.com...
[...]

Jeff

Re: Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals
Debbie,

Is this what you mean?
When you run Network Map on a Windows Vista-based computer, computers that
are running Microsoft Windows XP do not appear on the network diagram.

If so,
This might help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Jeff

"Debbie (ssar9)" <Debbiessar9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using ethernet cable and I can ping all the computers in the group. I
> cannot see any of the XP computers in the Network screen. All computers
> have
> the same workgroup name which consists of 4 characters.
>
> I have turned on
> --------------------
> Network discovery
> File Sharing
> Public folder sharing
>
> I have turned off
> ---------------------
> Printer sharing
> Password protecion sharing
> Media sharing
>
> I do not see any of the XP comptuers in the Network and Sharing Center
> diagram. I have changed the name of the workgroup on the Vista system a
> couple of times to no avail. I have Norton Interet Security 2007
> installed
> with all the IP addressed in the Trusted Panel on the Firewall screen.
>
> Any help is appreciagted.

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmllIChzc2FyOSk=?=

RE: Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals
I guess I did not make it clear what the problem is. I can ping all the
computers and that works. All computers have the same workgroup name. I can
see the Vista system by on one XP system but not the other two. I cannot see
any XP system from my Vista system.

On the Vista system
-----------------------
If I go to Computer and click on Network in the left hand pane I only see
the Vista system and not any XP systems.

If I go to Network screen I only see the Vista system I do not see any XP
computers.

If I put the other XP computer name in the address bar on the Network screen
I can see the XP folders just fine.

I put the patch on each XP system and the Diagram now sees all XPs but the
Network screen does not see any.

Windows Firewall is off and I am using Norton Internet Security and have all
computer IP addresses in the Trust screen.

Now what?
--
Debbie (ssar9)

"Debbie (ssar9)" wrote:

> I am using ethernet cable and I can ping all the computers in the group. I
> cannot see any of the XP computers in the Network screen. All computers have
> the same workgroup name which consists of 4 characters.
>
> I have turned on
> --------------------
> Network discovery
> File Sharing
> Public folder sharing
>
> I have turned off
> ---------------------
> Printer sharing
> Password protecion sharing
> Media sharing
>
> I do not see any of the XP comptuers in the Network and Sharing Center
> diagram. I have changed the name of the workgroup on the Vista system a
> couple of times to no avail. I have Norton Interet Security 2007 installed
> with all the IP addressed in the Trusted Panel on the Firewall screen.
>
> Any help is appreciagted.

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmllIChzc2FyOSk=?=

RE: Workgroup networking - Vista Business to two XP Professionals
This fixed my problem. I am running Norton Intenet Security 2007 and it was
keeping my computers from showing up. All but one computer now shows up:

1. Start Norton Internet Security 2007
2. Click on Norton Internet Security Tab
3. Select 'Settings tab'
4. Click on 'Internet Security and Firewall Options' under 'Additional
Options'
5. Select 'Advanced Settings' under 'Personal Firewall' in Left pane of the
'Internet Security and Firewall Options'
6. Click on "Configure" button
7. Click on "Add" in "General Rules" Window
8. Check Allow > Click "Next"
9. Check "connections to and from other computer"
10. Click Add > Click on "Only computers and sites listed below" > Click
Add.
11. Click on "Using range" and provide the IP Address Range.
12. Click OK.
1. 10.Click "Next"
2. 11. Check "All types of communication" > Click "Next"

--
Debbie (ssar9)