VPN Dropouts

=?Utf-8?B?Q0hD?=

VPN Dropouts
Hi to All,

I have upgraded to vista business from xp pro and vpn to my xp pro box at
work.

under xp my vpn connection rarely disconnected and would reconnect
immediately, the rdp session would not skip a beat. under vista the vpn
connection frequently drops out and although it appears to re-dial it just
doesn't reconnect. if i manually disconnect and re-connect it works again
for limited time.

the only thing i changed in the hope of stability was to uncheck ipv6 from
the tcp network option.

any help is greatly appreciated.

regards,
charles

=?Utf-8?B?YWJoaXNodEBvbmxpbmUubWljcm9zb2Z0LmNvbQ==?=

RE: VPN Dropouts
Which VPN client are you using? What are the events on event viewer you see
when connection is terminated and redial attempt fails.

"CHC" wrote:

> Hi to All,
>
> I have upgraded to vista business from xp pro and vpn to my xp pro box at
> work.
>
> under xp my vpn connection rarely disconnected and would reconnect
> immediately, the rdp session would not skip a beat. under vista the vpn
> connection frequently drops out and although it appears to re-dial it just
> doesn't reconnect. if i manually disconnect and re-connect it works again
> for limited time.
>
> the only thing i changed in the hope of stability was to uncheck ipv6 from
> the tcp network option.
>
> any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> regards,
> charles

=?Utf-8?B?Q0hD?=

RE: VPN Dropouts
Thanks for taking the time to reply; i am vpn'ing into a windows 2000 server
box so whatever vpn that is using (default).

event viewer;
CoID={31713422-18C8-4409-A15A-AC8F6D8BE012}: The user DELL\***** dialed a
connection named ****** VPN which has terminated. The reason code returned on
termination is 828.

My xp pro machine has held the vpn all day. best i can hope for with vista
is around half an hour.

"abhisht@online.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Which VPN client are you using? What are the events on event viewer you see
> when connection is terminated and redial attempt fails.
>

> "CHC" wrote:
>
> > Hi to All,
> >
> > I have upgraded to vista business from xp pro and vpn to my xp pro box at
> > work.
> >
> > under xp my vpn connection rarely disconnected and would reconnect
> > immediately, the rdp session would not skip a beat. under vista the vpn
> > connection frequently drops out and although it appears to re-dial it just
> > doesn't reconnect. if i manually disconnect and re-connect it works again
> > for limited time.
> >
> > the only thing i changed in the hope of stability was to uncheck ipv6 from
> > the tcp network option.
> >
> > any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > regards,
> > charles

Aanand Ramachandran

Re: VPN Dropouts
This means that the connection termintaed due to idle timeout. Please check
the idle timeout settings on the client and also on the server. On the
client side this can be found under connection properties. On the server
side you can find this setting under the network policy for that client

thanks
Aanand

"CHC" <CHC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for taking the time to reply; i am vpn'ing into a windows 2000
> server
> box so whatever vpn that is using (default).
>
> event viewer;
> CoID={31713422-18C8-4409-A15A-AC8F6D8BE012}: The user DELL\***** dialed a
> connection named ****** VPN which has terminated. The reason code returned
> on
> termination is 828.
>
> My xp pro machine has held the vpn all day. best i can hope for with
> vista
> is around half an hour.
>
> "abhisht@online.microsoft.com" wrote:
>
>> Which VPN client are you using? What are the events on event viewer you
>> see
>> when connection is terminated and redial attempt fails.
>>

>> "CHC" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi to All,
>> >
>> > I have upgraded to vista business from xp pro and vpn to my xp pro box
>> > at
>> > work.
>> >
>> > under xp my vpn connection rarely disconnected and would reconnect
>> > immediately, the rdp session would not skip a beat. under vista the
>> > vpn
>> > connection frequently drops out and although it appears to re-dial it
>> > just
>> > doesn't reconnect. if i manually disconnect and re-connect it works
>> > again
>> > for limited time.
>> >
>> > the only thing i changed in the hope of stability was to uncheck ipv6
>> > from
>> > the tcp network option.
>> >
>> > any help is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > charles

David Compton

VPB Dropouts - Vista 64 Solution
I got my VPN connection to work by going to Properties | Security | Settings (adjacent to Advanced custom settings selection). The change the selection in the Data encryption drop down to "No encryption allowed".