remote access

=?Utf-8?B?cGF1bCBMLg==?=

remote access
My wife and I have two separate businesses that are on the same network using
XP Professional operating system. We both want to be able remote access our
work computer from our home desktop that has Windows Vista Home edition. I'm
assuming that I must upgrade the home computer to Windows Home
Premium.......but will I be able to get remote access to both work computers?
Thanks!
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: remote access
If you want to use RDC, upgrade to Vista business or above. Or use free remote access software like VNC.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"paul L." <paul L.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E644CB6-D7DC-4961-BF6D-F32FC21F4696@microsoft.com...
My wife and I have two separate businesses that are on the same network using
XP Professional operating system. We both want to be able remote access our
work computer from our home desktop that has Windows Vista Home edition. I'm
assuming that I must upgrade the home computer to Windows Home
Premium.......but will I be able to get remote access to both work computers?
Thanks!
Deb or Dave

Re: remote access
Vista Home (client) Remote Desktop to XP Pro (host) should work. But not vice-versa. You need Business version to host.
Assuming that Home edition includes the RD program, which I would think it should.

I can use Remote Desktop on my Vista Home Premium to my old XP Pro computer just fine.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ods6LjFXHHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
If you want to use RDC, upgrade to Vista business or above. Or use free remote access software like VNC.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"paul L." <paul L.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E644CB6-D7DC-4961-BF6D-F32FC21F4696@microsoft.com...
My wife and I have two separate businesses that are on the same network using
XP Professional operating system. We both want to be able remote access our
work computer from our home desktop that has Windows Vista Home edition. I'm
assuming that I must upgrade the home computer to Windows Home
Premium.......but will I be able to get remote access to both work computers?
Thanks!
BobS

Re: remote access
Install UltraVNC ( www.ultravnc.com ) on all systems. The ones at work
will be setup as the "servers" and the system you're using to access the
"server" will be the "viewer".

Using UltraVNC is like sitting at the keyboard of the remote system and has
a lot of features - and it's absolutely free. I use it on a number of
clients and family systems and it works like a champ.

You may have to open ports 5800 and 5900 on your routers. Read the
instructions (separate download as I recall).

Bob S.

"paul L." <paul L.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I have two separate businesses that are on the same network
> using
> XP Professional operating system. We both want to be able remote access
> our
> work computer from our home desktop that has Windows Vista Home edition.
> I'm
> assuming that I must upgrade the home computer to Windows Home
> Premium.......but will I be able to get remote access to both work
> computers?
> Thanks!

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: remote access
"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Install UltraVNC ( www.ultravnc.com ) on all systems. The ones at work
> will be setup as the "servers" and the system you're using to access the
> "server" will be the "viewer".
>
> Using UltraVNC is like sitting at the keyboard of the remote system and
> has a lot of features - and it's absolutely free. I use it on a number of
> clients and family systems and it works like a champ.
>
> You may have to open ports 5800 and 5900 on your routers. Read the
> instructions (separate download as I recall).
>
> Bob S.

If your not using the Java VNC client then you only need TCP Port 5900 open
on any firewall. Of course you could use an alternate high number port for a
bit of added security through obscurity.

Personally I always run VNC (any flavor) or Remote Desktop through a VPN or
SSH tunnel for added security.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...